Jason Segel talks The Muppets and his inspiration

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Still, I may have a little against posers, but what really bugs me is cluttered photoshop manipulations.

But other than the fact the movie's actually happening, I just want some news on what else to expect. Too bad they're so hush hush about the thing. I'm very excited for the movie alone... hope we have some decent stuff to hype us all up for it.
It sometimes can be done relatively well with thoughtfulness :wink: and it can be done poorly with a cluttered look with inconsistently sized characters in dire need of color correction like this hack-created monstrosity that fans somehow accept but I prefer the real deal when it comes to Muppet compositions. Some posers and staged puppets have so much life to them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thoughtfulness only seems to be for fan made stuff. I started a thread on this somewhere else on the board recently... and I think this sums it up. Now, I don't care if Marvin Suggs is not on a poster, so adding every single obscure character out of fan-service is not necessary. I think the back cover of the 40th anniversary book had a charming, bold simplicity that SHOULD have been the front... the actual front felt like an anachronistic pile with certain characters added in as an afterthought (Teeny Little Herry Guy). it was a cute attempt at mixing the past with the present, but it had a very unappealing composition. And is no way Cookie Monster 50 feet tall.

But when it comes down, I'd rather have all the ugly posers and cluttered cracked license Photoshop pictures in the world than no merchandise at all.

(P.S. Flat eye Kermit may be bad, but Couchie Monster is worse... Worst of both worlds, right here you can actually see an aura of light in Telly's fur).

Mupp

Reaction score
Really, as I remember being bored to tears during the first Cars in theaters(I snuck in to see it and still wanted my money back)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I realize that I had made a big deal about this comment initially.

So just to clarify, the thing that ticked me off the most was your attitude, I try to discuss the underlining theme of Cars in a polite way, and you respond with a cynical and mean-spirited comment that you knew would would rub me the wrong way, while at the same time publicly admitting to doing something that is frowned upon.

What's even more amazing is that Jamie defended your technically illegal (or at least immoral) actions..But I digress.

....Now, I don't know if anyone here has seen the MOST RECENT trailer for Cars 2 (Its on the Cars website, and it will probably play in front of "Pirates"), but there is definitely an emotional core to the film....Just like the first film.

By the way, did it ever occur to you that Mater is just like Goofy?

And millions of people love Goofy, so its not a stretch for people to love Mater as well.

Thanks, and just to make everything square, I AM truly looking forward to the the Muppets' film.[/FONT][/FONT]

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I realize that I had made a big deal about this comment initially.

So just to clarify, the thing that ticked me off the most was your attitude, I try to discuss the underlining theme of Cars in a polite way, and you respond with a cynical and mean-spirited comment that you knew would would rub me the wrong way, while at the same time publicly admitting to doing something that is frowned upon.

What's even more amazing is that Jamie defended your technically illegal (or at least immoral) actions..But I digress.

....Now, I don't know if anyone here has seen the MOST RECENT trailer for Cars 2 (Its on the Cars website, and it will probably play in front of "Pirates"), but there is definitely an emotional core to the film....Just like the first film.

And millions of people love Goofy, so its not a stretch for people to love Mater as well.

Thanks, and just to make everything square, I AM truly looking forward to the the Muppets' film.[/FONT][/FONT]
What the frog? That's just mental, but I'm letting it go. :crazy:

I do think "Cars" is one of the weakest Pixar stories so far, but I very much liked the moral - that winning at any cost wasn't winning at all. I particularly liked that that particular message was brought out during the Bush administration and pointed at Nascar enthusiasts! Pixar is an uber liberal company, so I don't think that's a coincidence.

Does it require a sequel? I don't think so. Will a Cars sequel do well at the box office? Frog yeah it will and they'll move a froggin' amount of merchandise too! The film makes good sense on that level and the ads have been okay so far. I've always admitted to wanting to see it in the theaters.

I don't always agree with Beaker's statements, but he's a fantastic guy, he's been a friend of mine here for over a decade and you better bet that I have his back. :eek:

Oscarfan

Reaction score

Is it too much trouble for you to let other people have an opinion different than your own?

Drtooth

Reaction score
What the frog? That's just mental, but I'm letting it go. :crazy:

I do think "Cars" is one of the weakest Pixar stories so far, but I very much liked the moral - that winning at any cost wasn't winning at all. I particularly liked that that particular message was brought out during the Bush administration and pointed at Nascar enthusiasts! Pixar is an uber liberal company, so I don't think that's a coincidence.
I think it had a STRONG anti-Big Business, pro-Small business message in the subtle context of cars preferring to rush down a convenient highway, ignoring the smaller shops that NEED their help desperately. I honestly don't see the anti-Bush message in the winning at any cost isn't winning... That's kind of a sports genre cliche... but I get what you mean.

Does it require a sequel? I don't think so. Will a Cars sequel do well at the box office? Frog yeah it will and they'll move a froggin' amount of merchandise too! The film makes good sense on that level and the ads have been okay so far. I've always admitted to wanting to see it in the theaters.
Any movie could use a sequel if done right. Now, I'm not crazy about the direction they took the film, but I've warmed up to it. I definitely will see it once it comes out (luckily a whole month spread is between that and Kung Fu Panda 2)... but it really is their biggest Pixar cash cow since Toy Story. Again, opening weekend through several months later, the little die cast Cars cars vanished off store shelves, Ratatouille stuff (if you could find it) cleared out even before the DVD came out. Still... disappointed the Up figure set couldn't be available in ALL stores, even a year after the fact (Bolt stuff ironically popped up after the DVD came out).

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah that's me, immoral for sneaking into a film several years ago. Call big brother! :smile:

Honestly, I absolutely did not make my opinion about Cars to rub anyone the wrong way. There is a presumption that all are free to speak their mind on their feelings regarding cinema or programs.
I don't care if I or someone else was involved on a film, there's no point in pretending to like something if one had issues or wasn't too fond of something. I simply meant Cars failed to capture my imagination or emotion, as many Pixar films before and since Cars has.

But hey, The Incredibles was the same way...it was ok, but I wasn't totally take in by it, and I sense it was made more as fun movie. Up though, Up is a film that really blows me away from so many levels. Anyways, I myself love films my friends dislike, no big deal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it too much trouble for you to let other people have an opinion different than your own?
In his case, yes.... The fact he's obsessing about it just... I dunno what to say there. I mean, yeah, I'll passively aggressively defend something someone rips on me, but ONLY once and the matter is dropped. This member's getting on Beaker about something he said months, almost a year ago.

Yeah that's me, immoral for sneaking into a film several years ago. Call big brother!
Everyone sneaks into at least one movie. The greater immorality is that Hollywood freewheelingly steals from itself and then gets on the case of anyone who they feel "steals" from them. it's all a mess... but any movie I remotely care about, I'll buy a ticket to. The only time I snuck into a film I paid dearly for it. It was Dinosaur. YECCCH! And this is coming from someone who willfully bought the ticket for the Flintstones prequel and enjoyed it.