Sesame Street Muppet Replicas

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That really bugs me. It really was a shame that the Palisades line never happened due to perhaps the most unfortunate timing possible (I wish somehow they could have at LEAST managed to keep it going long enough to get series 1 on the shelves... I could have done without the parody record accessories myself). But other than that, we really get nothing but T-Shirts. Sure, 5 years ago, Gund released those smaller plush figures of Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, The Yip Yips and a Super Grover... all we got out of the 40th anniversary were Target exclusive Fisher Price Plush... the only fan favorite being a wrong colored Honker... but Danged if it wasn't the best Count von Count I've ever seen.

I want something middle range. Not very high scale collector, but not more of their kiddy stuff. I feel Mattel FAILED miserably with the 2 figure Sesame Packs in only having 3 sets, reusing figures, and giving them a ridiculous price range of 8 bucks... I would love to see some sort of buddy pack series of new figures, but marry a classic character to a current favorite... say, Elmo with Guy Smiley or Cookie with Forgetful Jones. Maybe Hasbro can do that... heck, they made making background characters in Star Wars even the hard core fans forgot about into buddy packs marketable. Even some lesser known Marvel characters are in buddy packs. And Kids still buy them. I think that's the best we could really ask for from them. Though, I hope they're not stylized....
I think Sesame Workshop's licensing fee could be higher than other companies and that might be what has held back other product attempts, but that's just my wild speculation. The gold is in Elmo sales these days. He's eclipsed Big Bird and turned into Sesame's Kermit-type character status. There was a time that all the Muppet Show cast character items seemed to be Kermit-centered.

You’re right. Mattel has squandered an opportunity so far. They really should try to do some low-scale figures of all the cast that has appeal for all markets. Heck, if that requires redressing Elmo and sticking him in ever series I’m okay with that. As long as we get the rest of these guys. I think a PVC set or maybe a limited articulation set of Sesame figures that included different flat street facades to snap together would be excellent and definitely a win for everyone.

There's an opportunity to do with the Sesame figures what has been done with GI Joe and Star Wars. The potential is there!

dwmckim

Reaction score
I would love to see some sort of buddy pack series of new figures, but marry a classic character to a current favorite... say, Elmo with Guy Smiley or Cookie with Forgetful Jones.
'Do you, Mr. Jones, take this cookie monster to be your lawfully wedded partner?"

"I...uh...I forgot the question?"

"And do you, Mr. Monster, take this cowboy to be your lawfully wedder partner?"

"Whatever. Me just want to hurry up to the part with the cake."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Sesame Workshop's licensing fee could be higher than other companies and that might be what has held back other product attempts, but that's just my wild speculation. The gold is in Elmo sales these days. He's eclipsed Big Bird and turned into Sesame's Kermit-type character status. There was a time that all the Muppet Show cast character items seemed to be Kermit-centered.

You’re right. Mattel has squandered an opportunity so far. They really should try to do some low-scale figures of all the cast that has appeal for all markets. Heck, if that requires redressing Elmo and sticking him in ever series I’m okay with that. As long as we get the rest of these guys. I think a PVC set or maybe a limited articulation set of Sesame figures that included different flat street facades to snap together would be excellent and definitely a win for everyone.

There's an opportunity to do with the Sesame figures what has been done with GI Joe and Star Wars. The potential is there!

I am pretty happy Hasbro has got the license now. I have nothing but problems with Mattel. Sure, their DC line looks great, and I wish I had the King Midas fortune to get those Ghostbuster internet exclusive figures... but other than that, they've been fail for years. Their One Piece line was a joke :grouchy: . Their stuff is WAAAAAY over priced, and they were the main company that had to deal with lead paint issues.

Hasbro had a very awkward period earlier last decade, but they found their stride with Star Wars, Transformers and G.I. Joe... then getting the Marvel License among others. But their preschool Playskool division has always been a large staple. Fisher Price... meh...

Maybe they'll have a little more vision than singing Elmo toy of the year (Mattel already found a rebound... a certain cartoon mouse... though if he was mighty, I'd grab it up in a heart beat). Elmo Live was a dud... though, to be fair, that was the Christmas of the big recession. They need to focus on smaller, cheaper products... possibly ones that have appeal beyond 2 year olds. Mattel did try some things before they lost the line (I wish the Collect-a-pals did better... I wanted a series 2... though I didn't even finish collecting them before they got cleared out) but their 40th anniversary stuff was depressing and disgraceful.

I don't see why a midlvel PVC line wouldn't do gang busters.

Sigh... I miss Applause.

gail

Reaction score
I want my very own Little Murray Sparkles!

He was seen very few times, but darn it he has stuck with me!

gail :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
You'd be the only one who would want him. Fans would REALLY want some sort of acknowledgment of Forgetful Jones. He was one of Richard's signature characters and we didn't even get a PVC out of him even when Applause and Tyco were around.

I wish there was some way we could get a low cost figure series started somewhere. Remember when the Simpsons toy line was around and we got just about every single background character and guest star? I'm sure a Sesame Classics line of smaller PVC's would do just as well.