The Hoobs

matleo

Reaction score
Found the DVD of this last week at the grocery store and bought it on whim for my daughter and I to watch. Why didn't somebody tell me about this show and how awesome it is! I really like this thing and hope they put more on DVD. Are there any other Hoob fans on this forum?

Luke

Reaction score
I really loved the Hoobs, it had a great puppeteering and writing team behind it. It's just hiliariously funny in places, loadsa jokes that were more snuck in there for all the English students that used to watch it too. It got a bit of a cult following. I really like the music element, were some great songs. They were on MC radio years back, not sure if they are still in the rotation or not. I believe they took the Fraggle approach with the international versions and recorded some clips with international kids.

matleo

Reaction score
the episodes I saw all had British children. I love the simple design of the main characters (particularly Iver and Groov) and similar to Fraggles, I lthink the character are very well defined. I particularly like a lot of the little shoulder and neck movements you get out of Iver. The singing motor things are little irritating but thankfully they're a small part of the show and go away just before I hurl something at the tv. While it suffers a little from 'bright and colorful magical world ala Wiggles and Teletubbies" it's still a solid show and really enjoyable. I'm really hoping they put a few more of them on DVD here.

Beauregard

Reaction score
It's still played almost every morning over here between 6 and 6.30 or something on tv, I watch it before I go to work when I'm on breakfast shifts sometimes. I have an Iver toy in my car which I use to wipe the windows when they steam up, and which keeps me company when I drive. I prefer Moppatops Shop, but adore the Hoobs too.

Luke

Reaction score
I have an Iver toy in my car which I use to wipe the windows when they steam up
OMG Beau, thats official Jim Henson Company licensed product .. blasphemey! lol :big_grin:

Yeah i loved Iver's little quirks and looks - he's a complex fella. Iver and Groove was a great pairing - the original puppeterring team was John Eccleston and Don Austen who had worked together as The Wolves on Whats Up Doc? and as The Leprechauns on Live & Kicking. They are brilliant together.

I agree the show had a bit of the Fraggle atmsosphere about it. Must be one of Henson's most successful shows - 250 episodes and they been played continuously daily since 2001.