C is for Cookie Monster DVD

Dantecat

Reaction score
Well,The DVD will be coming out tomorrow for sure.So let us know how it is and We might see a couple more classic skits.I sure can't wait!:insatiable::smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I bought the DVD. I haven't watched it yet (I'm at the library now), and the Muppet Wiki page doesn't have a full sketch listing, but the DVD is 67 minutes long (I think that's the longest of the WB releases, excluding Follow That Bird). Interestingly, the packagign lists "Ginger Bread Man" as a bonu clip (and refers to it as a classic... I think that clips from the early 1990s, so don't consider it "classic" enough). This is the first character spotlight DVD to contain any bonus clips.

The packaging mentions that it contains "Cookie Monster Disco Song". I wonder if tha's referring to "Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco" (which was in the promo) or "Cookie Disco" (which was listed with that title on Old School Vol. 2). I think it would be weird for the same DVD to include two disco songs with Cookie Mosnter (especialy if it means no Monsterpeice Theater or team-ups with Ernie or Kermit, not that I know if those two will be on the DVD).

The packaging also confirms that the three "C is for Cookie" sketches are mixed tgether (referred to as "C is fro Cookie Mash-Up").

EDIT: I'm watching this now, and this DVD actually has new linking footage (and so far it's better than the linking footage in Cookie Monster's Best Bites).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it was a good release. In my opinion it gets better in the second half. Many classic clips appear in second half, though only one of them (Ernie meets Cookie Monsters cousin) is new-to-DVD.

It does have a bit of repitition. Several segments in a row about healthy eating, both disco songs (which were both included on previous DVD releases)... But it does include a Monsterpiece Theater segment ("Little Red Riding Cookie") and the remake of "Up and Down". And it has more than 12 segments.

Two of the segments that were originally announced for inclusion ("Healthy Food" and "Sorting Song") are not included after all (considering they have both been released on DVD I could care less). It also has a handful of film segments that only have Cookie Monster in vocie-over (and no, the one with the baby eating a cookie is not one of them).

This was a good compromise between pre-1990 and post-1990 segments (even if only one pre-1990 segment hadn't been released previously). Out of what's not included I'm only comlaining about it not having any Kermit segments.

The linking footage has Cookie Monster reading fan mail. I'd like to see this format used for an Oscar the Grouch or Count release (and maybe even another Grover release).

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
And if this is what it takes to get classic material out there, I hope they make "G is for Grover", "O is for Oscar", and "C is for The Count" (an extreme list for me is "K is for Kermit"... and the upside there is that there are no known street stories focusing on Kermit, and of course there wouldn't be too many post-classic clips).
Offtopic here, but does anyone know offhand if Kermit has even shown up in Street Stories scenes? (Besides the "Hurricane" episodes.) Any early appearances from 1969 or the early '70s? Just curious.:smile:
And good to hear about the contents of this Cookie Monster DVD. I will have to try to get this one from the library when they get a copy. It definitely would be great to see similar releases for other characters too.:insatiable::batty:

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Offtopic here, but does anyone know offhand if Kermit has even shown up in Street Stories scenes? (Besides the "Hurricane" episodes.) Any early appearances from 1969 or the early '70s? Just curious.:smile:
And good to hear about the contents of this Cookie Monster DVD. I will have to try to get this one from the library when they get a copy. It definitely would be great to see similar releases for other characters too.:insatiable::batty:
Actually, from what I know Kemit was featured in the street scene for the Season 4 premiere, he might have been in earlier street segments? I'm wondering if the pilot episode had Kermit in a street scene? Does the part with Gordon asking to Kermit to do his W lecture count as a street scene?

Anyway, this C is for Cookie Monster release seems really good, from what I've heard about the DVD itself I'd be happy if WB would do other character centered DVDs like this, especially if they did Kermit, being that he's an obscure SS character to have a DVD like this!

Drtooth

Reaction score
This sounds quite nice and I might just try to pick it up. If good stuff like this keeps up, maybe they'll warm up to some more classic minded stuff. Or better yet, BETTER character best of's than we've been getting. Especially since the last Elmo (under their releases, mind you) was "look what celebrity that you'll forget about 2 years later Elmo was with."

I wouldn't mind a Grover release at all... even if it was all newer footage.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, from what I know Kemit was featured in the street scene for the Season 4 premiere, he might have been in earlier street segments? I'm wondering if the pilot episode had Kermit in a street scene? Does the part with Gordon asking to Kermit to do his W lecture count as a street scene?
If you count Kermit's appearance in the season 4 premiere then his appearance in the first episode counts; Kermit's appearance on the street in the fourth season premiere was just a cameo.

There is something that I had been wondering. The "Monsterpiece Theater" segment that appears on this release, "Little Red Riding Cookie", is shown with the last "Monsterpiece Theater" opening. Although I don't officially know for sure I think that sketch was originally broadcast with that third opening. But if the DVD had included a Monsterpiece Theater sketch from before the third opening was made I wonder if the DVD would have included the third opening or if it would have included whatever opening was originally used with whatever sketch was chosen (if it was one that originally had Alistair Cookie's pipe and the DVD showed it with the redone into/outro then I think the last title card would have been used).

And that bumps up the total number of Monsterpiece Theater sketches on DVD to four, and also means that all three Monsterpiece Theater openings have been included on commercial DVD releases (though the 40th anniversary DVD shows behind-the-scenes photos over most of the original opening, blocking out the zoom-out in the opening).