Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 41

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I thought I'd be the first to comment on the SuperFoods episode. I thought it was pretty good. It's always nice to see Grover/Super Grover in a street scene, though it would be nice to put Super Grover 2.0 on the street rather than just in that particular segment. I was a bit fooled because they re-used the word "crunchy" from last season. I thought that my local TV listings had been wrong and that was a rerun. I'm glad I turned the show back on to make sure. They must be running out of "Word of the Day" words.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The street scene was used from a new resource video, so I don't think they had a Word planned for it, so they just re-used one related to it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The street scene was used from a new resource video, so I don't think they had a Word planned for it, so they just re-used one related to it.
Plus, they're totally cheap and will reuse ANYTHING that's not nailed down. I was pretty disappointed it was a reused Ernie and Bert's Great Adventure, even though it seems to be an oversight. Plus, I didn't see it for 2 years, not 2 episodes like a certain OTHER segment. Though they still have quite a vast amount of them to air.

But it WAS a very good (albeit health preachy) episode... Super Grover in perfect oblivious clumsy form as usual. Nice to see Elmo be a secondary character in the episode too.

And I dug that weird internet cartoon looking Bread Roll Call thing too, and that 5 Cars looking construction vehicles in the sand box.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think the "Don't Wake the Baby" episode described on Annie Evan's blog was supposed to be for this season; I guess they made it a hold over with this in its place. As for the re-used E&B Adventure, I was disappointed first, but then I realized that they only made 26 ones in widescreen and there are 44 episodes this season, so they had to re-air some if they wanted to not have them repeat twice in the same season.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's precisely what bothers me about the widescreen/full frame stuff. The obligation to use as much new material that's widescreen as possible, but when it comes down to it, when they have to use full frame stuff (cough cough Elmo's World) they use it. It's a discrepancy. They refuse to use anything (as far as the rerun episodes go) further than 2 years prior to this season because of that, but all their precious Elmo's Worlds they can't get rid off if they wanted are only in FF... and if this means we'll see only half the Ernie and Bert's, that's a real shame. Even though a lot of the insert segments are still FF. And half the markets don't even show it in WS anyway.

I still say they need to adopt the same system BTL has and just frame the sides with fake curtains or boarders or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Surprised (and kinda disappointed) no one brought today's episode up yet.

First off, lemme say, I wanna see more of Chris's sister on the street. A semi-regular character if possible. She has the perfect energetic and personable style that Sesame Street demands. I say, let's see her next season. if she's available and she wants to, of course...

Secondly. Why why why why why... why don't we get more Zoe and Abby episodes? I've said it before... Elmo and Abby have an inorganic "we're the most popular characters" vibe to their episodes... they have a chemistry, sure... but not a real tight one. like Friend of a friend or something. But Abby and Zoe's sisterly bond wanting to be twins... that's something I want to see more of. And add Rosita to the mix. I especially liked the over all message... magic can't really solve any problems, and introduces more. And it didn't need to be the catastrophic mess like last year's bit about Abby changing the seasons, either.

And ya gotta love Telly's reaction to seeing double. And the Count working pro bono as long as he could keep counting 2.

Say, I didn't miss anything between the Abby segment and the number segment, did I? Private matter... had to take a break then and there.

I like the Murray segments and all, but I wish they'd've saved the Ernie and Berts for the completely original episodes.

And that weird little cartoon was... err.. kinda cute I guess. Definitely this generation's humor... I... I guess I did like the line about "Not responsible for injuries during the Happy Dance."

Snuffylover

Reaction score
It's nice to see :batty: be involved in an entire street story. He's one of the old time classics that definetley shouldn't be forgotten. I just wish we could see more of some of Jerry's other old charachters like Biff and Herry Monster. It'd be nice to see a storyline involving one of those 2. I guess if we still had 110 new shows being made every year there would be more oppurtunity for stuff like that. Seems like now that there's 26 episodes, it means 20 Elmo Abby Storylines, a few Big Bird, a few Oscar, and a few Telly and Baby Bear, and that's it.

ISNorden

Reaction score
It's nice to see :batty: be involved in an entire street story. He's one of the old time classics that definetley shouldn't be forgotten. I just wish we could see more of some of Jerry's other old characters like Biff and Herry Monster.
That makes 1, 2...2 of us (ah! ah! ah!). But once Sesame Workshop decides to give a classic character the axe, odds are good that we won't see them again. (Unless the show manages to survive till Season 50, of course; we might get a 10-second cameo spot then!)

On a more optimistic note, it was great to see a new human character in the Twins Day episode, even if she's not returning. The new song about twins having different talents and interests was pretty cool; so was the flip-book film that taught counting by twos. (When the Workshop stops recycling Sesame English clips for the letters, then I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
That makes 1, 2...2 of us (ah! ah! ah!). But once Sesame Workshop decides to give a classic character the axe, odds are good that we won't see them again. (Unless the show manages to survive till Season 50, of course; we might get a 10-second cameo spot then!)

On a more optimistic note, it was great to see a new human character in the Twins Day episode, even if she's not returning. The new song about twins having different talents and interests was pretty cool; so was the flip-book film that taught counting by twos. (When the Workshop stops recycling Sesame English clips for the letters, then I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief!)
I'd say any future of Biff or Herry (Herry being more likely) would have to rest on both the writers and if Matt ever feels comfortable enough to perform him.

But I've noticed a BIG resurgence of the Count in both the show and in representational merchandise. If nothing else, at least they seem to be focusing on the core characters... unfortunately Herry doesn't fit into that, and he should. I'd love to see him used as a big brother figure to Elmo somehow.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I'd say any future of Biff or Herry (Herry being more likely) would have to rest on both the writers and if Matt ever feels comfortable enough to perform him.

But I've noticed a BIG resurgence of the Count in both the show and in representational merchandise. If nothing else, at least they seem to be focusing on the core characters... unfortunately Herry doesn't fit into that, and he should. I'd love to see him used as a big brother figure to Elmo somehow.
The way most episodes focus on the same 4-5 Muppets now, I was worried that the Count was next on the list of characters to be retired. Thank goodness for the math curriculum this season; it's keeping a classic Muppet out of mothballs!

As for Herry: Elmo does need a big-kid Muppet for a friend Writing new material for Herry would save the Workshop a lot of time and money, compared to adding a character from scratch.

Oddly enough, when I was a girl I always imagined Herry as the tough older boy with a heart of gold--the 5th-grader who'd keep younger kids on the playground safe from bullies. (I don't think it was an accident that the writers chose Herry, not Grover, as the main monster in a clip about the word "hug"! ) So, letting Herry treat Elmo that way feels intuitively right to me.