What materials can I use for a spyrofoam puppet's pupils?

shoo

Reaction score
If you can find them in white, that would be perfect, you're looking for something between 48-50mm for a Cookie or Elmo type I believe? I could only find them in green and gold so far.

The screw should be fine by itself, and I liked the idea of cutting the pupil from another ball to get the round shape to it. Other than that it's going to just be alot of trial and error, so have fun with it! ..... :smile:
Unfortunately, it seems like I've found pure white AND black christmas ornament balls (12x of each for totally $10), but they're made of GLASS! So, if I put screws through, the ball will shatter, yes? So yeah, looks like I've got to find some plastic one's instead, right? And... how am I supposed to cut a pupil out of this glass ornament since it's made of glass and then mount it to a screw or something? Got any pointers..?

Animal31

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems like I've found pure white AND black christmas ornament balls (12x of each for totally $10), but they're made of GLASS! So, if I put screws through, the ball will shatter, yes? So yeah, looks like I've got to find some plastic one's instead, right? And... how am I supposed to cut a pupil out of this glass ornament since it's made of glass and then mount it to a screw or something? Got any pointers..?
No, do not use glass! That would be bad, especially on your head! Target and Kmart both have multisizes available for the holidays....in plastic!

shoo

Reaction score
No, do not use glass! That would be bad, especially on your head! Target and Kmart both have multisizes available for the holidays....in plastic!
That's what I thought... ****. Seems TOO hard to find those stuff in PLASTIC.... But ohky, will try..... And then cut the pupil from the same plastic ball?

Polyestaline...is that the same as styrofoam or the one I am looking for..? I see some ornaments are in that material...

shoo

Reaction score
So, I am having problems again... I simply CAN'T find any white PLASTIC BALLS that I can use on my gigantic full-body suit costume head! WHAT material should I be looking for? I am trying to scout eBay, but even there it's hard to find anything! And yes, I did try to find plastic xmas balls, but it was nearly impossible to find PLAIN WHITE xmas plastic balls to use....

So, what alternatives do I have now then?

EDIT: I've tried looking at ping pong balls, but they're too small. Lacrosse balls are too soft. PLAIN white xmas ornaments/balls does not exist (apparently). Spyrofoam = not possible for my requirement. So, what other materials are there?

Animal31

Reaction score
So, I am having problems again... I simply CAN'T find any white PLASTIC BALLS that I can use on my gigantic full-body suit costume head! WHAT material should I be looking for? I am trying to scout eBay, but even there it's hard to find anything! And yes, I did try to find plastic xmas balls, but it was nearly impossible to find PLAIN WHITE xmas plastic balls to use....

So, what alternatives do I have now then?

EDIT: I've tried looking at ping pong balls, but they're too small. Lacrosse balls are too soft. PLAIN white xmas ornaments/balls does not exist (apparently). Spyrofoam = not possible for my requirement. So, what other materials are there?

Go to eBay and look under plastic balls, I had seen some solid (no holes) white wiffle balls being offered in different amounts. They are roughly 4 inches in diameter I think?

shoo

Reaction score
Yeah, trying to find those balls, but it seems harder than I thought... Heh. Still no luck...

Also, for a wiffle ball (with no holes), what should I use for the pupil and how to attach the pupil so it will work like Cookie Monster's pupils?

Animal31

Reaction score
Yeah, trying to find those balls, but it seems harder than I thought... Heh. Still no luck...

Also, for a wiffle ball (with no holes), what should I use for the pupil and how to attach the pupil so it will work like Cookie Monster's pupils?
I grabbed a pair of the large flat google eyes from Joanns, there's one of two ways you can do this. For Cookie, they use a small black screw that the pupil spins on OR what you could also do is take the backing off the google eye and glue the clear plastic piece (with the pupil inside) to the ball.

Either way should give you the same effect as long as the pupil can move around freely inside......

shoo

Reaction score
I grabbed a pair of the large flat google eyes from Joanns, there's one of two ways you can do this. For Cookie, they use a small black screw that the pupil spins on OR what you could also do is take the backing off the google eye and glue the clear plastic piece (with the pupil inside) to the ball.

Either way should give you the same effect as long as the pupil can move around freely inside......
Oh? Is the pupil supposed to be moving INSIDE of the eye for Cookie? I thought that you mount the pupil OUTSIDE the eyeball... hmm..

What kind of screw are you talking about? Like, how big?

Animal31

Reaction score
Oh? Is the pupil supposed to be moving INSIDE of the eye for Cookie? I thought that you mount the pupil OUTSIDE the eyeball... hmm..

What kind of screw are you talking about? Like, how big?
The pupil will move in the plastic casing that is glued to the ball, as long as there is enough space.

Just a small black screw, you can judge it yourself by the size of the eye you end up using.