We Have a Picture of Walter AND MORE NEWS!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Its a valid concern worrying that the Muppets will play second fiddle, but let's just try to be cautiously optimistic.

In Muppets From Space, the Muppets weren't playing second fiddle to anyone, and most of us agree that the film was still lackluster. (To be frank, The Muppets do not need Disney's help to make a lackluster project.)
That was the dangers of a passionless director I was talking about.

To me the worst Muppet movie where they played second fiddle was Muppet Oz, with MCC close behind. In MoZ didn't the Muppets like come in like 10 minutes after the intro? I'm sure they'd try hard not to do that. Mcc... well, they were in crowd scenes and everything, but other than Gonzo and Rizzo, all the other characters were demoted to brief cameos or tertiary roles. You saw most of them in one scene... then never again for the rest of the movie. I think MTI managed to do that a LOT better, even though Kermit didn't show up until a whiles into the film. But once he became the center of action, he was the center of action.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think that MTI balanced the Muppets amazingly, but obviously I'm happier with MTM where they all appear right at once and all together at the beginning. Remember, Jason is basing this thing on the classics though...and all the classics begin with a big-cast moment (Theatre in TMM, Hey a Movie in GMC and opening play in MTM.)

Bea:zany:{That's a lot of acronyms...}regard

Drtooth

Reaction score
MTI's mostly Muppet Pirate crew added sufficient Muppet content. MCC didn't have the right balance. They were present, but they weren't there. All the action focused on the human Scrooge, his Human nephew and his human former girlfriend. While MTI had some scenes that were just Jim and Long John Silver, there wasn't any extended periods of time (or music numbers) where you DIDN'T see a Muppet. I think MTI is one of my favorite new era films...though I think VMX got he old Muppet feeling down closer than the others.

Good point about the big openings, though. I'm sure we'll get some big splashy start to the film that will weave into the Walter plot. I'm wondering if he's just a subplot that links the action together. Seems logical.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the original Gonzo puppet had the same saggy, sad eyes as this modern puppet. This new puppet is a little fatter, but it looks like they're bringing him back to his original, Muppet Show Season One look.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Bringing Gonzo to his TMS season 1 look is NOT something they would intentionally try or want to do. Gonzo looked like he did then because he was an already existing puppet that didn't yet have his TMS personality. Dave Goelz (who was a puppet builder as well) knew that the character needed a desperate change and rebuilt him for season two. If Disney really wanted to take him back to an "original" look (which isn't where i think they're going), TMS season two was really the "beginning" of Gonzo as he was supposed to be (and a very good looking puppet i wouldn't mind seeing again).

I don't consider current Gonzo's eyes "sad" - they're off because the nose size throws off the placement/focus.

beaker

Reaction score
I have to point out something;

As I am both a Disney and Muppet fan, I was at the D23 Expo last year and was lucky enough to get into the Muppet presentation. (I almost didn't make it!)
The head of The Muppets Studio, Lylle Breier, mentioned a few times that she and the others from Muppets Studio are self-proclaimed Muppet fans, and are fans of the classic Muppet stuff and all.

Its clear to me that they do care, and are really trying their best.

Which leads me to believe that if one of us were running the Muppets Studio, the reactions here to their projects would not be any different than they are now. Its impossible to please everybody all the time.
Plus, there is often a lot of distrust of newer projects. That is a kiss of death.

Heck, there a few members here who are NEVER pleased with anything, period.

Its a valid concern worrying that the Muppets will play second fiddle, but let's just try to be cautiously optimistic.

In Muppets From Space, the Muppets weren't playing second fiddle to anyone, and most of us agree that the film was still lackluster. (To be frank, The Muppets do not need Disney's help to make a lackluster project.)
Oh none of us have any doubt that the Muppets are not only in good hands, but the specific people running the Muppets umbrella under Disney are huge fans. And youre so lucky! I just saw some pix and youtube posts. I will definitely be at the August 2011 D23! I say we need to organize a big fan gathering if Disney doesnt have an official Muppet weekend celebration like they do with Star Wars

I'd hate to see them have the focus, but I'm sure that they know everyone else hated that. Considering he apparently hated the last crop of movies, I think he knows that's the reason they sucked compared to the first ones. Even if they have to have them be the driving force of the beginning of the action, I could easily see a Get him To the Greek situation... having the film open up with a big Muppet performance or some big news cast or something, switching the action to Walter, trying to convince Jason's character to go with them to help... but having most of the film focus on the other Muppet characters anyway...

Something like that, but I'm reserving anything until we get more info.
Ooh I like the sound of that. Either way I think the film will be nothing short of visionary. And I forgot that Segal did show disdain for the post JH films.

beaker

Reaction score
Only Kermit and Robin met the Fraggles. At the finale the Fraggles are way in the background and no one except Matt knows they're there.
Ooh good point. I thought maybe Gonzo references/knows about Elmo and Sesame and not Fraggle Rock because of legal issues(Sesame is officially considered "Muppets"(tm) still, while sadly they stripped Fraggle Rock of that designation after the Disney buyout)

But you're right, nowhere is Gonzo ever with any Fraggle characters.