We Have a Picture of Walter AND MORE NEWS!

beaker

Reaction score
I think that's the problem right there. If it had a longer time in development, it wouldn't have felt so uneven. I still haven't seen the DVD cut, but I still wonder if I even want to bother getting it. had it been better cast, better filmed, and just had a more even flow to it , maybe it would have been better. Though, I still think that the fact there was a line miles long of potential other Muppet films that honestly were more deserving of being made (that Hamlet parody sounded particularly fun) also had a dent in the film. That said, there is NO forgiving the headache inducing colors and tilted camera angles. If I wanted to see Muppets 1960's Batman, I'd watch Muppet's 1960's Batman. At least 1960's Batman made the kaleidoscope of colors and tilted angles WORK.

Other than that, I just don't care much for the idea of Muppet classic retelling based films, other than the Hamlet one I mentioned, of course... but wasn't the main plot basically the characters stumbling into that situation? The comics manage to make them work on a better level, but that's mainly because they have the luxury of having an all Muppet cast and casting any Muppets in those roles. MCC seemed to not be able to help it. Too many characters weren't recast at the time. Ideally, the 3 ghosts could have been famous Muppets instead of new characters (Animal would have been FUNNY as the Ghost of the Future... Sweetums would have been choice for Christmas Present)... and had Scooter been recast at that point, he would have been perfect as the nephew.

I'm sure the presence less than enough Muppets in those films are a concern for the film writers.... I have to wrap this up quickly...
I liked your MFS pros and cons, but for me the numero uno problem of the film is the unevenness. I loved the funk opening with brick house, totally fit. But some original songs interlaced throughout would have been better. But the wildly uneven and empty feeling would be my cons with it.

Sadly, I have to say Oz is my least favorite thing the Muppets have ever done in 55 years, even above KSY. The idea of sitting through an "extended cut" makes me shudder. And I love Kirk, just feel it's good he's passing the torch a bit.

Now LTS, that is a film that felt heavily truncated. It looks like a theatrical film, nothing like a tv special...but sadly it feels more truncated and cut short than anything I've seen in the modern era of the Muppets. An extended cut by 30 minutes would have really done wonders for it. Im with ya tho, on the "classic retelling" stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah Pepe really makes MFS, and is one of the things that still stand out in my mind. It's really his first solo outing we see and break up role post MT. To me MFS is a magical film until about 20-25 minutes in. To me it made no sense to open with this fun zany muppet sing a long set of chaos and fun, and then we don't really see that again. The Hulk Hogan and Dawson's creek cameo just further put the nail in the coffin. But for what its worth MFS to has a lot of great stuff that helped shape the modern Muppets.
Somehow, you could edit the thing down to a half hour, and I'm sure it would still play very well. Still... I wish they filmed the entire thing and just cut stuff out. Imagine a Donner cut (or a Joey cut) of the film with the REAL ending and stuff like that.

Seriously... Muppets checking mail, Muppets being board and watching TV, Muppets Mowing the Lawn.... all this from the "genius" behind Garfield with a CGI Garfield and live action animals... and Chipmunks who love toaster waffles for some reason. :rolleyes:

Edit:

Now LTS, that is a film that felt heavily truncated. It looks like a theatrical film, nothing like a tv special...but sadly it feels more truncated and cut short than anything I've seen in the modern era of the Muppets. An extended cut by 30 minutes would have really done wonders for it. Im with ya tho, on the "classic retelling" stuff.
LTS needed 3 things to be perfect. 1) More time in development 2) a longer running time (I bet NBC was behind that) and 3) the gang TOTALLY should have popped up in Santa's workshop waiting for Kermit.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Not to get too off subject, but this is a very broad-stroked overview of a more Muppety path for MFS. It includes bits from the rumored real ending.

Act I:
Title Card in Outer Space
Gonzo Dream Noah’s Ark Sequence
Opening Musical Number (but an original song)
Breakfast Scene (but more crazy Muppety)
Clips of various Muppets jobs, but Gonzo hasn’t found his place.
2nd Musical Number (Gonzo:“I’m Going to Go Back There Someday”)
First Alien Contact during a “Pigs in Space” Convention!

Act II:
Covnet Introduction
[thicken up the plot here]
Gonzo is captured (Lab Rats etc)
Muppet Labs’ gadget checklist
3rd Musical Number (led by Floyd, Electric Mayhem sings protest anthem)
Cut with The Muppet gang bus montage to save Gonzo
Antics ensue.

Act III:
Alien Landing! Gonzo gets beamed aboard.
4th Musical Number with Aliens (Gonzo tribute)
We see their planet where Gonzo is king!
Aliens reveal they are mask-wearing, bug-faced fans receiving TMS signals.
Gonzo thanks them and returns to his friends
5th Closing Musical Number & Party (roll credits)

I'm sure Segel knows the successful Muppet formula is songs and showmanship tempered with nothing working out as planned. :concern:

Mupp

Reaction score
Kind of funny how they added an extra "t" in Muppets. :search:

beaker

Reaction score
First Alien Contact during a “Pigs in Space” Convention!
The idea of a comic book/geek type convention in a Muppet movie seems so fitting...however, I'm not sure we ever saw references to the Muppets as we know them, so references to Pigs In Space in a Muppet movie before now wouldn't have been used.

And see, this to me has to be the most exciting part of what we are hearing with "Muppets 2011": The idea that the Muppets in the film are the Muppets *we* know. They arent playing other characters from a book. They aren't playing re-imagined/reinvented/rebooted versions or origins of themselves(ie: the first three muppet films) Someone called it "meta", and I can just imagine the possibilities. Seriously, I get goosebumps thinking of all the possibilities. Like Walter bringing up the Muppet Show, past Muppet films, or even *gasp* criticizing past Muppet work(with Kermit giving a "sheesh" face)

I would LOVE to hear what you, Drtooth, Luke, DWMckim, and everyone else could envision using this premise...we really could have a scene where the Muppets are autographing at a comic or geek convention! Imagine Link mugging it up for the camera. We could have Piggy interviewed on a talk show, spoofing how shes always asked about her status with Kermit.

beaker

Reaction score
Kind of funny how they added an extra "t" in Muppets. :search:
Ha, now we have an official working title: "Muppetts" ^__^

Seriously, it's one thing to hear Segal glow about the film, to read an article in EW...its entirely ANOTHER thing to see a snapshot of a physical legal shooting permit notice in Los Angeles.

For those that say "I'll believe it when I see it"...(now I just cant wait for the first grainy fuzzy pictures and shaky youtube videos from passerbys! Hello AICN?)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The idea of a comic book/geek type convention in a Muppet movie seems so fitting...however, I'm not sure we ever saw references to the Muppets as we know them, so references to Pigs In Space in a Muppet movie before now wouldn't have been used.

And see, this to me has to be the most exciting part of what we are hearing with "Muppets 2011": The idea that the Muppets in the film are the Muppets *we* know. They arent playing other characters from a book. They aren't playing re-imagined/reinvented/rebooted versions or origins of themselves(ie: the first three muppet films) Someone called it "meta", and I can just imagine the possibilities. Seriously, I get goosebumps thinking of all the possibilities. Like Walter bringing up the Muppet Show, past Muppet films, or even *gasp* criticizing past Muppet work(with Kermit giving a "sheesh" face)

I would LOVE to hear what you, Drtooth, Luke, DWMckim, and everyone else could envision using this premise...we really could have a scene where the Muppets are autographing at a comic or geek convention! Imagine Link mugging it up for the camera. We could have Piggy interviewed on a talk show, spoofing how shes always asked about her status with Kermit.
The idea that "Space" was in the title of a Muppet film and no Muppets actually went to space (the cosmic fish dream doesn't count) or reference Pigs in Space was a big let down. I love the convention idea and maybe a little Galaxy Quest style plot would have better framed the picture.

I really do think Disney intends on labeling this film merely "The Muppets" and I'm okay with that.

Mupp

Reaction score
Seriously, it's one thing to hear Segal glow about the film, to read an article in EW...its entirely ANOTHER thing to see a snapshot of a physical legal shooting permit notice in Los Angeles.
Absolutely! :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
The idea that "Space" was in the title of a Muppet film and no Muppets actually went to space (the cosmic fish dream doesn't count) or reference Pigs in Space was a big let down. I love the convention idea and maybe a little Galaxy Quest style plot would have better framed the picture.

I really do think Disney intends on labeling this film merely "The Muppets" and I'm okay with that.

I dont know if you ever looked at the old 1998 archives on the Delphi forum, but I recall intensive debates on here(err, the old forum) in 98 and 99' regarding the whole muppets from space versus Muppets IN space thing. I think it was around november or december of 1998 when some people associated with the film started briefly posting/going on the chat that we kind of got a bigger picture of what they were gunning for. I thought some of the film would take place in space before that:smile:

My issue with the title is the conflation with the brand, especially if it tanks in the public eye as someone quipped the other day on here. "Oh, I hate the Muppets"..."wait, do you mean in general or the new movie?" I definitely believe, just like with Star Wars and Indiana Jones, there needs to be an actual title