2011 Winnie the Pooh Movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the trailer

You know, I do like Pooh and company... I never was crazy about the character over-saturation in the 90's-00's... but a GOOD Pooh project is too hard to pass up. And it's all traditional styled animation too. Good to see them back to their routes instead of that lame CGI kiddy show where they're superhero detectives or whatever...

SSLFan

Reaction score
It looks really good. And best part is there's no Lumpy or whatsherfacefromthekiddycgishowthingy. Just the classic Pooh characters. And finally another Pooh-based movie (although Tigger is my favorite and I LOVED the Tigger Movie:big_grin:). But really looking forward to this.

Just hope it fairs well for it's summer release date.:concern:

Mupp

Reaction score
Yes, this looks just like a classic Pooh film.

At the D23 Expo last year, John Lasseter said that the film is going to feel like a classic Pooh film, and they are using source material from the original A.A. Milne stories that has not yet been tapped into. He also stressed that the film is not just going to be for kids, that adults will be able to enjoy it as well.

Mupp

Reaction score
...And it's all traditional styled animation too.
If their intention was to make a Pooh film that felt like one of the classics, that was the only way to go.

beau

Reaction score
Yes, this looks just like a classic Pooh film.

At the D23 Expo last year, John Lasseter said that the film is going to feel like a classic Pooh film, and they are using source material from the original A.A. Milne stories that has not yet been tapped into. He also stressed that the film is not just going to be for kids, that adults will be able to enjoy it as well.
And unfortunately, despite the good intentions, it'll be a hard sell, considering how the franchise has been marketed the past decade or so.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like a great, classic piece of Pooh :smile:boo:smile:, though the commercial reception would probably be modest at best. Really like the use of 2D animation (probably digital ink-and-paint, but better than going all Flash or 3D), plus the music is nice and the voice actors (Jim Cummings from New Adventures as Pooh, John Cleese as the narrator, etc.) are promising. Hans Zimmer is even doing some of the soundtrack, too. :smile:

Mupp

Reaction score
And unfortunately, despite the good intentions, it'll be a hard sell, considering how the franchise has been marketed the past decade or so.
True, though a lot of people seem to like the trailer.
Even if the film doesn't make huge amounts of money, it will still most likely be generally well received.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No one is a bigger critic of how Disney's 90's-00's Pooh focus was than me. I loved Pooh, and then gradually started to hate the character and the franchise because it was the ONLY thing Disney seemed to have. You know things are bad when you own Mickey Mouse (perhaps the most famous cartoon character in history) and you don't even utilize him, not even for coffee mugs. When they had toys of Pooh dressed as the 101 dalmatians (the other thing they were milking when that horrendous 102 Dalmatians live action remake came out) that was the last straw.

But then I watched one of their projects on TV and felt completely different.

Hypocritically, I almost didn't mind when Warners did the same with Scooby-Doo at the time.

Anyway, oversaturation of a character KILLS the character. Look at Elmo. When you see them on everything and less and less of the character being the character, it becomes an annoying mascot, not a character. The projects (good ones, anyway) help Pooh be Pooh and not some old woman's sweater.

I like how they've said they're going back to the books for this one (though, which story they're doing I dunno)... though when they were planning Jungle Book 2 they rationalized it by saying "there's more in the Jungle Book we didn't do" only to see them not do it. But with Lassiter in charge, we're guaranteed not to have anything as terrible as JB2 again.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I also love LOVE that Craig Ferguson is going to voice Owl, whom is probably my favorite and, perhaps, underappreciated classic Pooh character. I agree if this has the feel of a "classic Pooh movie" count me in for watching it.

I hope it performs well in the box office too.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
This is great news...and I am especially thrilled about the return of Owl, he has always been my favorite character form the Hundred Acre Wood. I sincerely hope that this is a sign of things to come. Leave CGI to Pixar.