Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey documentary in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

zns

Reaction score
Looks like the Kevin Clash documentary could be the next big thing from Sesame Workshop since "The World According to Sesame Street".

It looks like it should be a great piece of history. There could be some unexpected surprises us Henson fans have always wanted to see. I must say that Kevin Clash is a brilliant puppeteer with the Muppets and has done a wonderful job with Elmo (yes I understand how others feel about the little red guy, but please realize that Sesame Street has to appeal to today's audience).

So anyway, hopefully those of us who don't get to see it will have the chance to one day find it on DVD, if Sesame Workshop ever releases it. But don't miss out on an opportunity like this.

P.S.
They should also do a documentary about Caroll Spinney, since he is considered Sesame Street's living legend. He would be agreat subject to talk about, based on the show's long-running history.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is good news. I am excited. I hope it comes out on DVD.

It would be awesome if it had clips from the 1979 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, where Kevin Clash performed Cookie Monster (I wonder if it'd be a clearance nightmare to release clips from Macy's parades commercially). It'd also be great if clips from some rare early Elmo sketches (where Elmo is performed by Brian Meehl and Richard Hunt) get included.

I wonder if most of it will focus on his Sesame Street career or if non-SST Henson productions will be included. It'd be neat for some clips from The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight were included, not to mention Dinosaurs and Dog City. But I have a feeling this will be more like a film version of his autobiography, with most of the career focus being on Elmo.

Still, if this gets a DVD release, it'd be great if it had some bonus clips from Kevin Clash's performances (though these kinds of DVD releases don't seem to have bonus Sesame Street clips). If the DVD does have bonus full Sesame Street clips I'd like it to have some of Kevin Clash's early Elmo performances (including one team-up with Kermit), some Hoots the Owl, Rappin' Alphabet, one of Clash's performances as Dr. Nobel Price, Just Happy to Be Me, and Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold". Hopefully we'll get clips from most of that in the film itself (and maybe it'll include some of his more rare characters, like Dexter and Professor D. Rabbit).

Anybody have any idea if this is being produced/distributed by Sesame Workshop or another company (did Sesame Workshop distribute "The World According to Sesame Street"?). Maybe if this is successful enough we might get documentaries on Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, and Caroll Spinney (a Richard Hunt documentary would be good as well).

Realoldtom

Reaction score
The film was actually produced by Constance Marks Productions, not Sesame Street Workshop, although they gave access to Marks and her team.

doctort13

Reaction score
I would love to see this on DVD too.

How about a few clips from Kevin's performances on "Captain Kangaroo" or his very early Baltimore TV appearances, if they are available of course.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
If they end up using the footage, I will briefly be seen in this film. About 3 years back or so when Kevin Clash was doing a book tour for his biography, one of the in-store book signings I went to, they had a camera crew and were filming for this documentary. I was seated right up front, so if they got any of the crowd on camera, I might be in this. Looking forward to seeing it either way, it sounds like it'll be an interesting film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure PBS will run this sometime, possibly as part of Independent Lens like The World According to Sesame Street was.

You cannot call yourself a Henson fan if you don't hungrily want to see a documentary about any of the puppeteers, no matter who he plays. If they made one about the guy who was Ernie's right arm for one sketch when his regular was sick, I'd see it.

Puckrox

Reaction score
You cannot call yourself a Henson fan if you don't hungrily want to see a documentary about any of the puppeteers, no matter who he plays. If they made one about the guy who was Ernie's right arm for one sketch when his regular was sick, I'd see it.
I agree one hundred percent.

zns

Reaction score
If they end up using the footage, I will briefly be seen in this film. About 3 years back or so when Kevin Clash was doing a book tour for his biography, one of the in-store book signings I went to, they had a camera crew and were filming for this documentary. I was seated right up front, so if they got any of the crowd on camera, I might be in this. Looking forward to seeing it either way, it sounds like it'll be an interesting film.
We'll keep our eyes peered for you Melissa. Thanks for letting us know.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Being Elmo- A Puppeteer's Journey

I might be posting this in the wrong section so I apologize before hand...

Has anyone heard of this documentary? Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey? It is premiering at Cannes this year!

Here is the only video I could find about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Awd12X_DM

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think it's actually premiering in the documentary competition at Sundance, although it may be screening at Cannes later this year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.