Your Muppet mistakes

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What's SWAEHB? Does it have to do with Steve Whitmire? Is it a club? Is Steve Whitmire a member?
SWEAHB is a fan thread on this board dedicated to Steve. It's in the Henson People section. Hope that helps!

As for me, about GMC, it isn't a mistake (or maybe it is...), but the first time I watched it and got what was going on, I saw Nicky at the Dubonnet Club and thought he was so silly. Then I saw him next to some sort of door and wondered, "What's he doin there?" It was only until another fan watching with me mentioned he was evil that I understood and thought, "Oh, no! Not him! Why him? He's so silly and funny, it can't be!"
I was slightly the opposite actually, lol, I knew Nicky was the bad guy, but I completely missed how silly and over the top he was supposed to be. To my 5 year old eyes, I thought he was the suave but deadly type, lol.

It's sort of like the old Batman TV show, when you're a kid you don't realize it's supposed to be funny, lol.

dwmckim

Reaction score
... When I first saw Sprocket on A Muppet Family Christmas, I thought he was a real dog until someone told me that he was a puppet. The magic of Steve Whitmire.
Right there with you - in that very first introductory shot of Sprocket in the debut episode, i couldn't tell just yet if it was a real dog or not - Sprocket really was a very beautiful well made puppet (and realistically manipulated by Steve)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Right there with you - in that very first introductory shot of Sprocket in the debut episode, i couldn't tell just yet if it was a real dog or not - Sprocket really was a very beautiful well made puppet (and realistically manipulated by Steve)
Wait...He's NOT a real dog? ? ? !

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
...it wasn't until about the third of forth time that I watched it that I even realised why he went and unlocked that door.
Same for me! In fact, the last time I watched was the first time I got it...I think I got something else this time too.

...and yes, I could barely believe my ears too...ain't he lifelike?

Dearth

Reaction score
I was over at my friend Wes' house and he pulled up Muppets Bohemian Rhapsody on his computer. We were laughing at Animal. Another friend, Steifon, commented, "What will the Muppets do when Frank Oz dies?"

Now, I was knowledgeable enough to tell them that Frank no longer performed with the Muppets, which was news to them. Wes started to make a snarky comment about how I knew way too much about the Muppets, but his wife nipped him in the bud, which was funny.

But I felt bad a few days later, when I realized I had called Frank's successor as Eric "Jacobian" by mistake. It was very bittersweet... why act like the authority in the group on a given topic if your information is unreliable?

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have framed my answer differently. Maybe something like "Well, they survived the loss of Jim. They'll definitely bounce back without Frank." Something upbeat, devoid of my own ego's need to spout slipshod facts in a failed effort to seem knowledgeable.

Alex

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Don't feel bad...I called him "Eric Jabson, the guy who plays Grover" for the LONGEST time.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I've always struggled with the spelling AND pronunciation of Steve Whitmire's last name...

And as for Nicky Holiday, when he unlocks the door... I can't BEGIN to tell you how many times I watched it thinking that he unlocked it, opened it, closed it... and LOCKED it again. Which made the whole shot REALLY pointless.

Those are all the mistakes I can think of at the moment... But my cousin was in his thirties when we had to persuade him at a family party that Big Bird was a boy, not a girl. Our argument? We had enough Sesame Street books where Big Bird was referred to with male pronouns. His argument? "But she has a NEST! Why would a BOY have a NEST?"

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I always thought Miss Piggy was voice by a woman (this goes to show how well Frank and Eric do female voices). I also thought Boober Fraggle was voiced by Frank Oz, instead of Dave Goelz. I also thought that Fran Brill did all the female puppet voices on Sesame Street (didn't have a clue that it was Frank, Jerry, Richard or sometimes Caroll).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
His argument? "But she has a NEST! Why would a BOY have a NEST?"
So...when you think about it...Big Bird is like one of those guys who still lives in his parents' basement! :wisdom: :concern:

I always thought Miss Piggy was voice by a woman
While watching MTM, my friend asked who played Miss Piggy. When I told him Frank Oz, he freaked out, couldn't handle it, lol. Mainly because he was a major Star Wars fan and could only think of him as Yoda, lol.

I said to him, "I thought you knew that..."

He said, "No! Why would I know that?"

I replied, "Everyone knows that!"

Of course one should never assume. We all make mistakes. :wink: