Super Grover 2.0 Week: February 21-25, 2011

Yorick

Reaction score
I noticed in one of the clips, Super Grover 2.0 says, "Hubba Wha?" just like Ma Otter in the outtakes from Jugband Christmas! Pretty cool since Frank voiced Ma on the outtakes, and of course Frank originally voiced you know who! :super: So unless it was in the script (I doubt it, but I don't know who writes them) Eric added that line, which is nice.

By the way, what's the significance of the "2.0"? Just his new costume? Sorry if I should know this. :concern:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The segments are meant to lampoon the current trend of revamping comic book heroes for feature films, including the breathy announcer who makes the story sound like a big deal when it isn't (like the Penguin one; stating their lives will be changed forever).

Drtooth

Reaction score
You will be surprised how many people DIDN'T get that. I saw all these complaints on Youtube about how they "changed" the character, even though we ALL know the change is ONLY for a segment in the show, and outside of that, Super Grover's got the same costume, more or less, he had since the 70's. You'd think with the Chris Nolan Batman movies being so popular, they'd realize this is all a big goof on them. The Super Grover Mobile gives it away.

I'd be a LOT more excited about this if it wasn't just a theme week of reruns.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You will be surprised how many people DIDN'T get that. I saw all these complaints on Youtube about how they "changed" the character, even though we ALL know the change is ONLY for a segment in the show, and outside of that, Super Grover's got the same costume, more or less, he had since the 70's. You'd think with the Chris Nolan Batman movies being so popular, they'd realize this is all a big goof on them. The Super Grover Mobile gives it away.

I'd be a LOT more excited about this if it wasn't just a theme week of reruns.
Super Grover did make a few talk show appearances in his Super Grover 2.0 outfit to promote the series. It seems like ther'es actually been a bit of a revival of both Grover and regular Super Grover after the creation of Super Grover 2.0... It seems like Grover made a bit of a comeback around 2003-2005, and then it seems they did a bit less with Grover (part of that might be because of Eric Jacobsen also being busy with Disney's Muppets; Ironically, Frank Oz performed Grover once in season 40, but did Eric perform Grover at all that season?). And now there's a lot more with Grover, including two new segments with Mr. Johnson, a few viral videos, Super Grover being the focus of a street story or two (since the format change of 2002 it seems like all Grover plots invovled Super Grover), and in his original form Super Grover taught the letter F and made a cameo in I Am Somebody.

You know, I've noticed that since Grover's "comeback" he hasn't really been given a new song. I think they should write a few new Grover songs for the series.

Still, it's a wonder Super Grover 2.0 hasn't had any merchandise. That Iron Monster DVD that came out a few months ago doesn't have any Super Grover 2.0 segments, not even as a bonus feature. There don't seem to be any Super Grover 2.0 toys (if Hasbro does do a secodn series of it's buddy pack PVCs I'd like to see Super Grover 2.0 included). A Super Grover 2.0 video game could be something cool (especially if done better than last years Elmo and Cookie Mosnter games). It would be nice to see a DVD comprised of just Super Grover 2.0 segments (perhaps with some bonus classic Super Grover segments), like the various Elmo's World DVDs and last years Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures DVD.

The main page video for this week at sesamestreet.org seems to have more production values than usual.

Yorick

Reaction score
Thanks Oscarfan! I do feel silly that I didn't get it:frown: but at least I'm in the know now!:wisdom: And that added dimension makes it even more funny to me now, though I liked it before I knew. Ah, it works on so many levels, haha!

Drtooth, though you and Oscarfan got it right away, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't get the joke.:super:

Yorick

Reaction score
Super Grover did make a few talk show appearances in his Super Grover 2.0 outfit to promote the series.
I liked the Jimmy Fallon one where Fallon said "You look a lot like Grover." Super Grover 2.0 replies, "Sorry, who?" :super: