D23 Expo: Muppet news and happenings

beaker

Reaction score
Is it not D24 this year?
Ha, silly...D23 is the name of the club, and I'm guessing the umbrella code word for anyone into Disneyana. Tho given literally every woman over the age of 45 in America collects Disney stuff, I guess there's a lot of Disneyana fans

I'm not a Disney geek in the least. I like visiting Disneyland to relive my childhood and get lost in the wonderment, but there's nothing Disney related I like to collect...so my trip to D23 would purely be about the Muppets.

I definitely think we need to make D23 the unofficial Muppet fan gathering, and let Disney fans know we exist en masse! (that is, if Disney doesnt give us an official fan weekend before hand)

dwmckim

Reaction score
Hmmm...so if there were ever another kind of Muppetfest or fan convention/gathering, maybe it would be called M55?

beaker

Reaction score
Hmmm...so if there were ever another kind of Muppetfest or fan convention/gathering, maybe it would be called M55?
Ha, I just got that. That's nicely esoteric, strange to think the Muppets have now been around for a whopping 56 years.

Mupp

Reaction score
...XPPPP All right. To be frank, it's not as bad as them with Miley Cyrus but--but I still died a little inside.
Grow up.

Its NOT a big deal. Its just a parody poster and does NOT warrant such childish drama.

(Yes, I know I am late in relying to that, but I just had to speak up about it)

Also, as one final statement, I have to say that its become painfully clear that some Muppet fans will NEVER be satisfied with any new Muppet projects;

Its like nothing is ever good enough for some Muppet fans these days.

My last straw with was when people were insulting the "Sing a Happy Song" number being filmed for "The Muppets" (talk about making snap judgements)

Have people just forgotten why they became Muppet fans in the first place? (We all know that as children, we are much less discriminatory)

What about some of the songs in The Great Muppet Caper, or The Muppets Take Manhattan?
Song like "Hey a Movie" and "Sombody's Getting Married" and very similar in tone to this new "Sing a Happy Song"

Clearly, as some people get older, they get more discriminatory. Yes, in some ways the Muppets have changed, but some of the fans have changed as well.

Many Muppet fans (including some members of this message board) Will NEVER be satisfied with new things that the Muppets do. And some will even make wild claims like "I still say that the movie can still be canceled." I wonder if they still think that "The Muppets" has been canceled....

I honestly do not mean to come across as harsh, but I have had it. I am dumb-founded as to how some of the so-called Muppet "fans" act.

Its just saddening to me that all of the Muppet performers and staff of The Muppets Studio are trying to bend over backwards to keep the Muppets in the lime light, and to please the folks at Tough Pigs and here at Muppet Central, when many of the members at both sites will clearly NEVER be satisfied, and will only bark cynicism.

I myself am still a fan of the Muppets, and I will go to see the new film with an open-mind, and I just hope that all of the other true-blue Muppet fans will do the same.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This movie is happening. I hope it's good and it can't be worse than what happened to "Muppets From Space" (an otherwise good movie that only failed due to diluting a much better idea).

This film looks good so far. We'll all scrutinize it up-until and even after the launch. The word fan comes from the term fanatic. Of course we'll all be passionate. It just seems that enough of the right elements are in enough of the right places to make this at least a B grade movie. My only concern is my hope for an A+!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
This movie is happening. I hope it's good and it can't be worse than what happened to "Muppets From Space" (an otherwise good movie that only failed due to diluting a much better idea).
There really seems to be a lot of care and time that went into making this film, and the writers and directors had a symbiotic relationship. The complete opposite was said for MFS, and honestly, with that attitude all around, multiple writers, and a hapless director who ravaged the script, it's no wonder why the studio could have cared less.

Even with some odd footage in the long form trailer, this movie looks and sounds absolutely wonderful to me. This is very much a fan driven project, and quite literally as it was written and directed by fans... with studio and Muppeteer input of course.

Anyway, did they announce any D23 programming yet? Even an upfront featuring the Muppets? or are they planning to unveil everything secretively at ComicCon?

Mupp

Reaction score
Ha, silly...D23 is the name of the club, and I'm guessing the umbrella code word for anyone into Disneyana. Tho given literally every woman over the age of 45 in America collects Disney stuff, I guess there's a lot of Disneyana fans

I'm not a Disney geek in the least. I like visiting Disneyland to relive my childhood and get lost in the wonderment, but there's nothing Disney related I like to collect...so my trip to D23 would purely be about the Muppets.

I definitely think we need to make D23 the unofficial Muppet fan gathering, and let Disney fans know we exist en masse! (that is, if Disney doesnt give us an official fan weekend before hand)
Actually...

The D stands for Disney, and 23 is for the year 1923, when Walt Disney first arrived in California, and founded the company. They recently put that info on the D23 page on the Muppet wiki.

And don't worry, Disney clearly knows that there are many Muppet fans. In fact, there are many people who are fans of BOTH Disney and the Muppets.

And don't be fooled, D23 is NOT just for collectors of Disney stuff. There are pavilions and cool arena presentations that show off things that are in development for the parks, and for new animated films and what-not, surprise celebrity appearances and such. In fact, many of the coolest moments of the 2009 expo were not announced before-hand.

There will obviously be a lot of info about the new Muppet movie at this year's expo.

...Also, there will be a Marvel presentation.

Oh, and I LOVE Disneyland!

BIGMuppetFan

Reaction score
I am so so excited to hear what Muppet News comes out of this!!

I really hope we get to hear about TMS Season 4 and 5 on DVD

I also hope we get to hear alot about the new Movie and new products that will come out for the movie

I hope we get new plush and stuffed figures and action figures!!

beaker

Reaction score
So one month to go, and not a word on the schedule? Is this normal? By this time in 2009 the full schedule had been released. I still want to go but just for the Muppet specific day...really hope they can announce that soon

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope we get new plush and stuffed figures and action figures!!

Plush is a no-brainer... action figures seem to be kind of a stretch. It isn't exactly the same toy market as it was 10 years ago that the epic toy line from Palisades flourished in. I'm sure we'll see something good, though. I would be happy with a Deluxe PVC set like TS3 and Cars 2 got.