Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

unclematt

Reaction score
Very well written and I agree 100% but then I have this little voice in the back of my head that says that they need to find a way to get Segal in there because you have to give new blood a chance. Jim can't do it forever just as Jerry couldn't do it forever. (We miss you Jerry.) I want Jim to write the film but yet I still find myself torn.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
I'm sure Disney is trusting on Jason Segel. Because we all know that Jason is bringing back the old routine of the Muppets is quite promising. I don't if they'll make it 2010 however. We're almost getting near to the end of 2009. But whatever the date is going to be, I suggest they should start filming.

beaker

Reaction score
Im HOPING this and the Fraggle movie get a 2011 date, which means filming next year.

However, why is it no trade papers/imdb/profiles/wikipedia/etc lists any sort of muppet movie on the upcoming plate of either of these guys? (Siegal/Stoller)?

unclematt

Reaction score
I thought it was listed on Segal's page. Maybe it was taken down.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I just started reading through this thread and I have to say I share the same sentiment as the first few posters

(I apologise if I'm steering away from any conversation taking place here)

I have high hopes for this movie and my expectations have been rasied more considering the recent muppet videos and appearances. I also can't wait to see what Jason Segal has in store for the Muppets.

As with what I said at the beginning, agreeing with the first few posters of this thread i.e - Pepe not being given too much screentime and lines and give some characters that have recently returned from the background, such as Scooter and Rowlf a chance to do more and get back in their rightful 'main character' status. It may sound like wishful thinking but I think it would also be a wonderful oppurtunity to let these character's new or recast performers a time to shine. David Rudman and Bill Barretta so far, have both been doing great jobs with Scooter, Rowlf and other Jim or Richard characters they're doing now. They have their personalities down, the voices they've provided for each character just seem to get better and better with each appearance aswell.

Alvin

Reaction score
I saw on IMDB that it's an "UNTITLED MUPPET PROJECT" that's scheduled for 2012?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I saw on IMDB that it's an "UNTITLED MUPPET PROJECT" that's scheduled for 2012?
For the last time... IMDB is NOT a reliable source at ALL. You can't believe what it says until AFTER the movie is made. Otherwise, they have NO idea.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I just started reading through this thread and I have to say I share the same sentiment as the first few posters

(I apologise if I'm steering away from any conversation taking place here)

I have high hopes for this movie and my expectations have been rasied more considering the recent muppet videos and appearances. I also can't wait to see what Jason Segal has in store for the Muppets.

As with what I said at the beginning, agreeing with the first few posters of this thread i.e - Pepe not being given too much screentime and lines and give some characters that have recently returned from the background, such as Scooter and Rowlf a chance to do more and get back in their rightful 'main character' status. It may sound like wishful thinking but I think it would also be a wonderful oppurtunity to let these character's new or recast performers a time to shine. David Rudman and Bill Barretta so far, have both been doing great jobs with Scooter, Rowlf and other Jim or Richard characters they're doing now. They have their personalities down, the voices they've provided for each character just seem to get better and better with each appearance aswell.
This is an old thread and right now it looks like they're going with a different script for the next Muppet Movie. It's not yet even known if Segel is even going to be involved with it or if elements of this script are being incorporated in it or not.

At D23 in September everyone was expecting Disney to announce that Segel's script was officially greenlit - instead they announced that the next Muppet film will be "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" - which despite a very similar title, just happens to be the name of a possible Muppet film Jerry Juhl and Jim Henson had conceptualized in the mid-80's.

Any concerns about the script reviewed in this thread pretty much no longer applies - as far as we know, it's a new ballgame.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Any concerns about the script reviewed in this thread pretty much no longer applies - as far as we know, it's a new ballgame.
And I'm REALLY hoping this one doesn't get leaked on the internet this time. There's a certain secrecy they need to have with this script, and if someone violates it, we could just wind up seeing this movie vanish. Now, I'm not saying "The Greatest Ever Muppet Movie Ever Ever" didn't happen because the script for it was leaked, but it could have had a great deal to do with why we have a different movie idea. I remember Corey Edwards being VERY ticked off that someone got a hold of one of the drafts of the Fraggle Rock film, the one they weren't working off of. And he had to field questions about why Mokey wasn't in the script and stuff like that. Stuff that was only left out of one draft.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I can't believe it's taken me this long to weigh in on this topic, but better late than stuck in a cannon with Gonzo!

When I was growing up with the muppets--yep, that's my REAL age there--the Kermit/Piggy romance was to SWOON over.

Were they hopelessly smitten?
Yep.
Were they professionally competitive?
You betcha!
Was Kermit snarky? Did Piggy hi-ya him into next week (or at least the next act)?
On a regular basis.
But did they CARE about each other.
Absolutely.

What the gods of muppetdom don't seem to understand is that Piggy mooning over Kermit while he acts like a complete jerk ISN'T very funny--it's fairly obnoxious. I find when Kermit does this he comes across as juvenile and mean. (And let's face it--Steve's Kermit is just less...grown up than Jim's. The humor's broader, not deeper. I'm not saying it's always bad. I'm just saying it's always SO.) Kermit comes across as especially hurtful and malicious when he makes (so many) completely uncalled-for carps about Piggy.

What made their relationship FUNNY was--no matter how often he denied it, argued about it or (tried to) fire her, it was obvious to US, to HER and to HIM that he was smitten and in waaaay over his head. Watching him back-pedal while he fell under her spell was GREAT. Watching him fall into the trap of love and writhe in it was better than a trashy romance.

I don't know if I can explain this, but I'm assuming most of you know about the evolution of the character of Fozzie Bear. Originally, he was just supposed to be this obnoxious comic who told unfunny jokes and didn't know he stunk. That was the character as (loosely) defined for TMS. The problem was--it wasn't funny. Bad jokes being told badly by someone with no shame just wasn't entertaining. (Huh--go figure.) What finally made the character work--and work wonderfully, you wonderful, snuggly bear!--was when Frank was doing Fozzie and bombing and he blurted out something along the lines of "Please laugh! Please like me!" (Okay--somebody who's a purist find the article I remember this from and give the absolutely letter-perfect quote. I can't. I remember the gist of the article.) Suddenly, when Fozzie reveals his vulnerability, the audience felt their crunchy-candy-shell hearts begin to melt. Oh! Look--he NEEDS us! And the audience began to root for Fozzie, to WANT him to be funny even while not really expecting him to be. So what is the point of this story in THIS thread?
Well, this.
Being a jerk to a girl (or a pig) who loves you is just proving you're a jerk. But trying hopelessly, desperately to not be swept off your feet by an epic romance designed to hit you at your weakest point is proving that, under all that felt, there's the heart of a great lover. You know--the LOVERS, the dreamers and me? That guy.

I guess I stayed away from this thread because I did not want to know how many new and different ways Kermit was going to find to attack the most amazing superstar of her era JUST for falling in love with him, but I'm feeling a little better about it now. The trailer has the following quote, from Kermit to Piggy:
"Maybe you don't need the whole world to love you. Maybe you just need one person."

Well, well, well. Maybe Kermit's finally decided to grow up.