Follow That Bird - Quotes

BigBirdABCDEFGH

Reaction score
Here's what I believe is the actual dialogue (one can only wonder who still has the original written draft from 1984-85 for this movie) from the final scene where the Sleaze Brothers are caught, after Big Bird jumps off the truck onto the open hood of the VW Beetle.

Sam: "Hey, what's that noise?"
(The State Trooper waves his hand)
Sam: "It's the cops!"
Sid: (upon noticing Big Bird, aka the "Blue Bird of Happiness," is not in their cage) "Sam, the bird's gone! The bird's gone! (sobs) The bird's gone!"
Sam: (to Sid) "Get a grip on yourself, will you! Just try to relax!"
Sam: "I'll take care of everything. (To Sid) Whatever you do, don't cry."
(The brothers whistle)
State Trooper (to the boy whose apple was stolen): "Are these the two men?"
(The boy nods his head for "yes")
Sam: "What seems to be the problem, officer? What's the charge?"
State Trooper: "What about counterfeiting? Extortion? Impersonating a dentist? Stealing an apple from a kid?"
Sam: "All about that apple, officer; I can explain that: we was just holding it for a friend."
Sid: "Yeah, for a friend."
State Trooper: (to Sid) "You can tell that ... to the judge."
Sid: (sobbing) "Judge?!"
State Trooper: (to Sid) "Be a man!"
Sid: (still sobbing) "But I don't want to be a man, Sid!"
Sam: (to Sid) "Shut up, Sid! Shut up!"
Sid: (still sobbing) "Judge, he said! Jail!"

Do you have another favorite scene besides this one?

~Ben

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That's one of my favorite scenes. I like the way Sam says "Shut up, Sid, shut up!" Always thought it was funny (and figured if it could be said in a Sesame Street production then it was okay to say... I used to think "Shut up" was a cuss word).

Speaking of that, I remember when I first saw the That '70s Show episode "Canadian Road Trip", which had guest starred Dave Thomas (and Joe Flaherty), and Dave Thomas' character shouts "Shut up!" in a similar manner at one point. It had been a few years since I last saw FTB at that point and had forgotten about him saying it there but was reminded. It made me wonder if shouting "Shut up" was a signature gag of Dave Thomas, wondering if he said it often on SCTV (by now I've seen all of season three and only recall seeing him utter that phrase once on that show). For a few years it also made me think that was the only really good way to say "Shut up", prompting me to tell people that if they are going to say "shut up", they've got to say it the right way (the Dave Thomas way!).

Back to the topic, I really like the Grouch Anthem scene, and pretty much every street scene, and of course Kermit's scene (which is sort of a street scene, as characters on the street watch the news).

superboober

Reaction score
The entire Don't Drop Inn segment ("WHEEERRRRE'S MYYYYYYY JEELLLLLLOOOOOOOO!!!!!????") , Super Grover mistaking the Robinsons' Volkswagon for Big Bird and crashing through the roof ("This is not Big Bird! You are imposters!"), "Upside-Down World," ("I'm afraid you lost him, Bert." "I LOST HIM!!??" "While you were singing." "But you were singing too!!"), Super Grover overexerting himself trying to bend the bars of Big Bird's cage (particularly the climax where he rattles the bars like crazy and lets out that Tarzan yell), and the Dodos running from their out of control lawmower while going for a swim are the highlights for me

Yorick

Reaction score
FTB is a masterpiece. So many great scenes! :smile: I have to agree the Grouch Anthem is fantastic, and indeed, epic! Of course when I first saw it, I didn't know Big Bird and Oscar were both performed by Mr. Spinney - I just knew them as Big Bird and Oscar. So it's great how the man who portrays the title character of the film (Big Bird is that bird they follow, after all :smile:) also opens the film as Oscar. Great, great movie.

Yorick

Reaction score
I know it wasn't a big deal, but I wanted to replace one of those Kermit smileys with an Oscar, and also add a Big Bird. Can we no longer edit older posts? Or was this never an option and I'm mistaken?

ISNorden

Reaction score
Even in the older forums, the only "editable" post in a thread was the last one (no matter who made it). Yes, that's frustrating--but true!

Yorick

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the kindly info! :smile:

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Big Bird- Hey I have a great idea. Let's play make believe. I'll be Snow White.
Donny- But you're not Snow White.
Marie- You're Bright Yellow.
Big Bird- And you can be the Seven Dwarfs
Donny-But we're not dwarfs
Marie- We're .. . birds! (both laugh)
Big Bird- It's just pretend. You know using our imagination?
Donny- Ok I'll pretend I'm Donny.
Marie- And I'll pretend I'm Marie.
Donny- Oh this is fun. I like this game!

Yorick

Reaction score
They don't know how to pretend! What dodo's they are :smile:
That is a funny part of that wonderful film!

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I
They don't know how to pretend! What dodo's they are :smile:
That is a funny part of that wonderful film!
I agree and the scene from afterwards is almost as funny.
Donny- Get the door Marie
Marie- Nope
Donny- Don't be stubborn Marie!
Marie- (singing while laughing) I'm not gonna get it! I'm not gonna get it! Ha ha ha ha!
Big Bird- Never mind! I'll get it!