Say goodbye to Darkwing and Ducktales comics!

Drtooth

Reaction score
From comic book resources:

BOOM! has made it official that they are done with the Disney comics license. "DuckTales" and "Darkwing Duck" will end it all in the fall.
Will we see Marvel producing a "DuckTales" series next, then? Or do they want to do something new and fresh, and do a completely modern take on the awful "Bonkers." If anything needs a reboot, that series does. ****, didn't it reboot itself early on because it was so awful?
Seriously, I doubt Marvel will do a monthly Disney book. They seem to be viewing those characters as a way to penetrate markets outside the Direct Market: graphic novels, magazines, or something that will show nicely in a rack at a bookstore or a Toys 'R Us. That's where I think we'll see DuckTales next.
The strongest swear I know isn't strong enough.

Now, I dunno if Disney's pulling the same garbage again, but I'm officially done with Boom! Snarked, I might still get, but everything else they have doesn't interest me in the slightest (I have no desire to buy "The Milking of the Planet of the Apes" prequel to the prequel). I shoulda known something was up when Rescue Rangers abruptly ended.

Of course, this is all Disney's fault. The license was SUPPOSED to last until mid-next year. But once again, I guess crappy kiddy magazines that NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OR FUTURE OF THE WORLD WILL EVER BUY EVER are more important than keeping something up for fans. Worst of all, no hope for Talespin or any other DA property. Yep, they're going back into the dusty "forget about it" box once again.

Marvel is CLEARLY not going to print anything that isn't Spidey. They don't want new Pixar or Muppet comics, that's obvious. I do NOT see why the heck Disney has to screw with a license to something they can't even market anymore or even remotely care about.

I don't want to put this all on Boom because they gave us so much, but for the love of freaking mike... SOMEONE's gotta start writing letters to Disney saying stop freaking around with our comics.

Sigh... I KNEW I shoulda got a subscription to Mega Man! Then I wouldn't have to leave my house for the next hundred years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boy this is going to cause a LOT of outrage; I mean granted, I never really did watch a lto of those early 90s Disney cartoons based on movies or specials and such, but I'm well aware that Ducktales has a HUGE cult following to this day. Heck, the theme song alone has become something of a meme.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It better cause an outrage! Maybe that will be the only way they'll learn. Supposedly I heard that Aron Sparrow is trying to get the license back and trying to fix everything, but I'm not too hopeful. I really do not want to vilify Boom at all, it's beyond their control... though it would have been nice if they had added a note about it on their site instead of "PLANET OF THE APES!!! WOOOOO!" Only because I felt it was fishy there weren't any more Rescue Rangers comics, and the series abruptly ended after issue 8.

Still, if I wasn't so outraged, I'd almost find the humor in the situation that after the Marvel buy out, the DISNEY license is the one that's hurt more. Marvel, no matter how much control the mouse has over them will NEVER publish Disney comics to any extent. They have their own money making characters to keep killing off to shake things up (to the annoyance of comic book fans who see through that kind of crap). Also, from Shrek to Transformers, they benefited from the hands of an independent company. Heck, IDW is doing more to bring Ghostbusters back than the film makers (get your head outta your butt, Murray! You were in both Garfield films and you knew FULL WELL they weren't written by the Cohen brothers). IDW rescued TMNT comics when Laird sold them to Viacom (who doesn't have their own publishing house).

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Nooooo! that's rotten! i thought it was odd that i didn't see R/R for a while but don't end Darkwing Duck! I'd like for them all to continue of course but i wish Darkwing would at least continue. They are the best written and i think transfered well to comic book form. i hope the story lines are finished off for Morgana and S.H.U.S.H but we never got to Fenton and what happened to the Gizmo suit. Plus all the villains!

*Correction* just read the link and it looks like they are doing another crossover of Ducktales and Darkwing LOOKING FOR GIZMODUCK so as long as they end the series with a bang. i just don't want another 17 year cliffhanger (or just dropped forever) i hope they bring the fearsome five back for the end as well as Stegmutt and Neptunia who haven't been introduced yet and I'd like to see everyone from S.H.U.S.H - J. Gander Hooter, Gizzlikof, and Dr. Sarah Bellum. At least appearances.

I wonderful if these up coming comics were what was originally intended or are they rushing just to rewriting stuff to end the series? i also hope they put them all into collections like the first two arch's. Guess no Darkwing Duck classics voulme 2 either.

All good things must come to an end but i hope it's a good end! i have faith they have done so good so far! I guess this also kills plans to release anymore Darkwing/Disney Afternoon dvd's? as if that was going to happen anyways...but i was hoping.

Why did i read this post....Grrrrr Drtooth! Sorry for such a rant but these comics were a total wild card that i never thought would have happen.
well it's Disney lost because i bought every comic and now i can save that money and spend it on the new Muppet movie....which is Disney too.

PS: And what about Quackerjack!?! they can't leave him in that state! any chance there will also be another annual for the fall?

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
now looking at the covers it looks like a lot may be answered. (covers can be misleading though) hopefully this is the way the series should end. Ducktales didn't even get off the ground (although we did have many of them put into the Uncle Scrooge series before. But the new series was a mix of the two (as well as darkwing) it would have been nice to see to see more ducktales characters in it though. maybe in the next and last few issues.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonderful if these up coming comics were what was originally intended or are they rushing just to rewriting stuff to end the series? i also hope they put them all into collections like the first two arch's. Guess no Darkwing Duck classics voulme 2 either.
They have plenty of time to get one out. Long after the announcement that Boom lost the classic Disney reprint license, they did reprint a few more Donald Duck compilations. But the clock is ticking.

now looking at the covers it looks like a lot may be answered. (covers can be misleading though) hopefully this is the way the series should end. Ducktales didn't even get off the ground (although we did have many of them put into the Uncle Scrooge series before. But the new series was a mix of the two (as well as darkwing) it would have been nice to see to see more ducktales characters in it though. maybe in the next and last few issues.
The Ducktales comic was clearly written with a lengthy series in mind. Unfortunately, things look truncated, and an epic long story line had to be rushed through, spending WAAAAAY too much time in Rippantaro (they should've left issue 2). There's a lot of criticism Warren Spector's getting for the story, when the only problem, I see is the PACING. The story he was going for was clearly too grand for a 4 issue arc, he was trying too much (connecting the original comics to Ducktales to Darkwing Duck, including any enemies from the three they could find). There's only one issue left to wrap up a LOT of plot that could have paid of in future arcs down the line. In fact, I think a Muppet Snow White situation happened... one of the covers was made well in advance of them having to change the story, leaving an irrelevant cover about dragons and a story that doesn't involve them.

Darkwing SHOULD have lasted at least 24 issues. What bothers me both about the Muppet and TDA lines is that they didn't even get to finish their 2 year license. Is a a deal with reprints that's the problem? The last Muppet Arc SHOULD have been released completely by the time Marvel got the license to reprint them almost 8 months later. Hopefully at least Darkwing/Ducktales gets a satisfying ending, unlike Rescue Rangers or Muppet Sherlock Holmes ending the Muppet Classics line.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
The Ducktales comic was clearly written with a lengthy series in mind. Unfortunately, things look truncated, and an epic long story line had to be rushed through, spending WAAAAAY too much time in Rippantaro (they should've left issue 2).
i felt the same way! i was thinking that this comic is wasting time in one place in only a 4 issue story arc. i didn't like that the beagle boys were not individual like on the show but rather there original clone like comic versions. there was a cool cover will all the main beagle boys and Ma beagle but none of them were in the story (which happens a lot with comic book covers as i have experienced.)

R/R's sometimes felt rushed to me too, that whole zipper/owl thing at the end? I would have liked to seen more story on foxglove and dale and they didn't get to professor nimbnal. Still it was nice to see the rangers again and there should have been more. i was hoping for Talespin, gummi bears, bonkers and even the Wuzzles too!

this cover makes me happy!
http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/1150851/ducktales-5
Fenton is kinda cut off and i could think of a few others who could be on the cover too(Gilltering Goldy, Mrs. Featherby or Quack-faster, Mrs. Crackshell, Gandra Dee, Dejoin, Bubba and tootsie as well as the other beagle boys) but ducktales 5 & 6 and darkwing 17 & 18 look great! my guess is those little ink dots have something to do with the split up Negaduck and maybe a split up Morgana(as the two females in the last comic seem to resemble her). so here is hoping Negaduck will be back for one last romp! i don't want the series to end but if has to at least end it correctly because this comic is a great way to end the series. (Disney please release the last volume of dvds!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
i felt the same way! i was thinking that this comic is wasting time in one place in only a 4 issue story arc. i didn't like that the beagle boys were not individual like on the show but rather there original clone like comic versions. there was a cool cover will all the main beagle boys and Ma beagle but none of them were in the story (which happens a lot with comic book covers as i have experienced.)

R/R's sometimes felt rushed to me too, that whole zipper/owl thing at the end? I would have liked to seen more story on foxglove and dale and they didn't get to professor nimbnal. Still it was nice to see the rangers again and there should have been more. i was hoping for Talespin, gummi bears, bonkers and even the Wuzzles too!
Well, the writing suggests that the Beagles WERE going to be their cartoon counterparts, but the terrible artists didn't get the memo. Why couldn't we have the artist that did the first issue continue the story all the way through? Probably some scheduling thing... but they should have got another individual artist... not a "studio." Who would have thought the work of many is less than the work of one?

Yeah, 4 issues is NOT a significant amount of time for a long story, and some of the stories they chose seem longer than they should be. They had the same pacing problems with some of the Muppet Classics line. Especially Robin Hood, where they just had the characters break down and say there's too much legend for a 4 issue series. in fact, the only time pacing wasn't a problem for arcs was when the "arcs" were episodic issues connected by a theme (Roger's Muppet Show comic for one). But then again, even with Darkwing, I didn't get satisfied until reading the 4th part of the arcs anyway. At least with The Incredibles the arcs seemed to always build up to something. That's why the Darkwing Duck comic went so well... they had the chance for the arcs to build up to something else. Rescue Rangers seemed to build up to something, and the ending seemed abrupt... I won't know about Ducktales until next week.

On the plus side, Snarked is AMAZING so far, there's a new IDW published TMNT series coming out....

Drtooth

Reaction score
BUMP:

Too late to edit this in, but there was official unoffical word at D23 that said anything regarding the license would be up to Disney.|

Somehow that doesn't make me feel ANY better.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
wow after reading the last part of the Ducktale's arch that whole thing was not up to what i had hoped for. there were plot holes and a bizarre ending. What was that whole frozen laucnh pad thing not even explaned???
i liked the concept of the story but as we said before it's complete rushed or wasting time at times. i hope the final Darkwing and Ducktales crossover is done good. i love the Darkwing series and have liked what they have done so far as i said before but i hope the ducktales baggage from this arch doesn't slop up the story as it looks like Cinnamon teal and Camille will be along for the ride. i just hope more classic villains take more of a center stage. i kinda like the paring of both Poe and Ratface. (even though Poe was never shown how he got home back in Darking duck) It seemed they really tried to cram in the ducktales/uncle scrooge world together along with darkwing maybe a little too much at times.