Did Henson recently buy back the Muppets?

dwmckim

Reaction score
A buy back is not happening! More likely Disney's allowed them permission to acknowledge their history without having to sidestep around images/videos of the Muppets.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If they did, you certainly wouldn't be finding out this way.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Not trying to sound like a "smart guy" or nothing. But it says right in the video on the actual youtube page that the video was posted with special permission from Disney in honor of Jim's 75 birthday (which is today). Again I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it said right there in the video.

Disney probably doesn't mind so much that the Henson company mentions the Muppets being a part of their history. However, Henson buying them back and doing new projects with the Muppets is probably NEVER going to happen. Especially now that Disney is doing a lot more with the Muppets, than I would probably have to image, any company has done with the Muppets in years.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
also Henson.com's webpage at the bottom says "TM & © 2011 The Jim Henson Company. All Rights Reserved.
MUPPETS mark, characters and elements are trademarks of Muppets Studio LLC." and Muppets studio, LLC is Disney's subsidiary name they made up to put the Muppets under when they bought the muppets from henson.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While Disney is still credited, there is something about the fact that they're letting the original company acknowledge them that should have us all giggling like school girls in a room full of nitrous oxide.

This is GOOD news. This is why we had so many Henson DVD release that were uncut from Lionsgate lately. Other than the fact I'm still a might meh at the fact that the movie has Disney's logo and ownership, this is a great sign that they aren't severing their ties to Henson, nor are they refusing Henson to the Muppet legacy.

Now if only they can keep up those good graces enough for Kermit to make more appearances on Sesame Street...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think they're keeping Kermit off of SST in new bits is because it would blur the line Disney is trying to make. They had to put up a big fight with them to get Kermit on the cover of the Silly Storytime DVD.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A few months ago The Jim Henson Company uploaded a clip from The Secrets of the Muppets on the making of Waldo C. Graphic (I figure Disney owns the character, since he's the chase figure in the second wave of Muppet vinylmation), and a few weeks ago a Kermit clip from Sam and Friends was uploaded. Though the company also recently added a clip from Dog City which featured a bit of Rowlf, editing Rowlf out of the clip.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think they're keeping Kermit off of SST in new bits is because it would blur the line Disney is trying to make. They had to put up a big fight with them to get Kermit on the cover of the Silly Storytime DVD.
I understand that. I don't really mean to the extent of the years up until the EMTV buyout and subsequent collapse (which we all know started the Sesame Workshop/Henson split), but something to the extent of a brief cameo every so often... like once every year or two. Something like the Kermit cameo in Elmo's World... or maybe Kermit's appearance in the last Hurricane episode.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
A few months ago The Jim Henson Company uploaded a clip from The Secrets of the Muppets on the making of Waldo C. Graphic (I figure Disney owns the character, since he's the chase figure in the second wave of Muppet vinylmation), and a few weeks ago a Kermit clip from Sam and Friends was uploaded. Though the company also recently added a clip from Dog City which featured a bit of Rowlf, editing Rowlf out of the clip.
Yeah, but Rowlf wasn't edited out of the actual DVD release of Dog City, which is way more important.