The Bible and Love and Christians

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I've heard news from OWS. It's turned into just a gathering filled with unsanitary conditions, sex, and drugs. It's like woodstock. I mean, they don't even know what their purpose is? What do they hope to get out of this? Okay, let's all just get angry at the "big, evil corporations" so let's all quit our jobs and go live in our own crap on Wall Street. It's getting out of control and it needs to stop.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Okay, let's all just get angry at the "big, evil corporations" so let's all quit our jobs and go live in our own crap on Wall Street.
They can't find jobs, that's the point. They graduated college (which their parents paid very, very large amounts for for four years) only to find the economy is in the dumps and there are no jobs. And Wall Street bears a share of the blame for this. That's why they're protesting.

And what's wrong with Woodstock? :wink:

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Many of the interviews and stories I've heard was of people that actually quit their job because they though this was sooo important to attend or some are just too lazy to find a job. I understand that they're anger but what do they hope to get out of this? All, I'm seeing is a dump full of sex, violence, and drugs. Not really a productive way to make their point.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Many of the interviews and stories I've heard was of people that actually quit their job because they though this was sooo important to attend or some are just too lazy to find a job.
I think that's a bit of a bias perspective. There are other sides to the story, such as I what I mentioned earlier.

To say that people are being lazy when there's clearly a recession going on and unemployment is at an all time high just doesn't add up.

All, I'm seeing is a dump full of sex, violence, and drugs. Not really a productive way to make their point.
The Tea Party got picked on for the conduct of its most outrageous members. The same thing is happening here. That's all.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think that's a bit of a bias perspective. There are other sides to the story, such as I what I mentioned earlier.

To say that people are being lazy when there's clearly a recession going on and unemployment is at an all time high just doesn't add up.

The Tea Party got picked on for the conduct of its most outrageous members. The same thing is happening here. That's all.
Well, protests and causes are usually known by their leadership. Many of the most vocal members of the Tea Party have spearheaded a lot of hate-filled initiatives, but I'm sure there are many people who support the root issues without any of the homophobic, xenophobic or racist sentiments from some of the most visible members. Either way, I still don't support the Tea Party.

Those on Wall Street do have a point, but they also have their crazies. Ultimately this nation is part of a global marketplace and we're also losing the relevance we once had. I'm not sure how much of that can be remedied, but there must be a meeting of both corporate and worker interest. Neither side will ever be happy. I don't follow either tribe. It's just important that we all see the clash that is happening. We don't have to pick one side. We only have to be aware of the many rather complex issues and act thoughtfully when some choices hit us later on.

As I type this, their some gathering outside of protesters ranting "homes not jails" and making all sorts of noise. I work over 60 hours a week in order to survive these days and deserve not to be harassed at 8pm. America isn't always kind to its homeless, but things in SF are far easier for them than anywhere else in the nation! I've lived across the street from a shelter for nearly 15 years and to be honest I pray for the day it gets shut down. There is no rehabilitation or positive upward movement that I've seen. They just invite crime and noise and feces into the neighborhood. I can understand the frustrations of folk who work hard and pay taxes for folk to indulge their addictions and destructive behavior. Maybe some sort of jail is where many of these people belong. I don't know. But nothing happening now is really helping.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've lived across the street from a shelter for nearly 15 years and to be honest I pray for the day it gets shut down. There is no rehabilitation or positive upward movement that I've seen
The homeless issue is very sad. Some homeless are addicts and they've done it to themselves, but it's still sad. Others are mentally ill and can't do much to help themselves. And others are victims of financial circumstances. And you're right, the shelters aren't always good places, there is very little that's being done to help these people.

beaker

Reaction score
It's getting out of control and it needs to stop.
I agree, the corporate/wallstreet junta is out of control:smile:

But yeah, OWS(like the Tea Party, or any sort of riot/protest/revolution out there)
is probably heavily infiltrated and coopted by provocatuers...if not wholly manipulated by the powers that be from the getgo

I've heard news from OWS. It's turned into just a gathering filled with unsanitary conditions, sex, and drugs. It's like woodstock.
Ugh, why do I have to live so far from New York? That sounds like a blast!

beaker

Reaction score
I've lived across the street from a shelter for nearly 15 years and to be honest I pray for the day it gets shut down. There is no rehabilitation or positive upward movement that I've seen. They just invite crime and noise and feces into the neighborhood. I can understand the frustrations of folk who work hard and pay taxes for folk to indulge their addictions and destructive behavior. Maybe some sort of jail is where many of these people belong. I don't know. But nothing happening now is really helping.
It's tough. I've known homeless people. I talk with them, I've donated time and money. But there's also a part of me that would love to see the Guiliani effect happen to a lot of America's bad areas, like what he did with Time Square. Heck one of the most popular malls in Hollywood used to be a condemned projects area. It's funny though, I meet so many white hipster/artist youth who move to Oakland thinking it's Haight Street 2.0...not realizing things can get pretty gnarly out there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, protests and causes are usually known by their leadership. Many of the most vocal members of the Tea Party have spearheaded a lot of hate-filled initiatives, but I'm sure there are many people who support the root issues without any of the homophobic, xenophobic or racist sentiments from some of the most visible members. Either way, I still don't support the Tea Party.

Those on Wall Street do have a point, but they also have their crazies. Ultimately this nation is part of a global marketplace and we're also losing the relevance we once had. I'm not sure how much of that can be remedied, but there must be a meeting of both corporate and worker interest. Neither side will ever be happy. I don't follow either tribe. It's just important that we all see the clash that is happening. We don't have to pick one side. We only have to be aware of the many rather complex issues and act thoughtfully when some choices hit us later on.
The Tea Party probably had some meaning once. They probably were a quiet grassroots movement that was anti-Bush pro-old school conservative/libertarian that wanted to get its party back from the spoiled moron son that's used to getting everything he wants. I agree with their anger about the bailout the same as the OWS. But then they started talking smack and making stuff up about the Health Care stuff we've been saying we wanted for years than suddenly changed our minds when it happened... then it just merged with the "We wanna secede from the Union cuz a Demmycrat's in power" looneys and became the "Obama is teh Hitler!!!!!!" movement.

I mean, that alone ticked me off for 2 reasons.

1)Oh yeah! Health Care Reform is EXACTLY like the mass murder of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, mentally disabled...etc etc.

2) It really shows the intelligence and maturity of the movement. Hitler is such an easy reference. Not Stalin, not Napoleon... no0t someone a little more fitting. It's like Lush Limbaugh's Obama is TEH Joker bit. Yeah... that just happened to be a hit summer movie. Way to earn the millions off another P&M book by stealing an easy reference.

As for OWS... If it stops or goes on, it makes no difference. Nothing's going to change. We have a wimp left wing that's controlled by the big corporations and a venomous right that's even MORE controlled by corporations. Lobbyists write the tax code. All the left can do is make weak "oh well, at least it's something" regulations that said corporations would use twice as much money it takes to comply with those regulations and buy the opposing team to repeal them. All I can think of is Bender's Big Score... the Scammers are Wall Street. We need to ALL band together... but we're not going to, because apparently if you don't like bail outs, loop holes, massive deregulation, and worst of all, baring the burden of the taxes, you're a filthy horrible traitorous communist. That's like saying you're a prude if you don't like rape. This isn't "corporate greed" it's high class gluttony. They REFUSE to create jobs until the government throws more money at them. wasn't that why EVERYONE hated the bailout?

I've no doubt that there is some unsavory activity going down... but that's a small fringe. Saying that it's become a sex and drug den is basically Fox News pro-Sociocorporate propaganda. And they're ...gasp... a CORPORATION with funding FROM corporations. Why does anyone listen to that anymore?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To bring up the bullying topic again, I just saw the 1976 movie Carrie for the first time a few weeks ago (yeah I know, where have I been, lol). Now granted, some of the fashion choices don't hold up too well, but the themes on school bullying are truly timeless. I was actually amazed at how accurately it was all portrayed with the snotty, entitled girls, jerky boys and oblivious adults.

I did think it was tragic how Carrie imagines everyone's laughing at her, when in reality it was only a couple of people. The rest of the students were just as upset about the prank as she was. I thought that was very telling. At times it can feel like the whole world is against us, but in reality things, while tough, aren't nearly as bad as we think.