What is the funniest moment you've seen on Sesame Street?

tutter_fan

Reaction score
You know what? "Hey there lamp! That's a nice shade!" was so random!

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I always thought Bert started "rhyming" with the lamp because he got so into the game that he couldn't stop and got carried away... btw that is one of my fave Ernie and Bert sketches, too :smile:

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I also love that one skit where Ernistine came to visit, so she's in that chair, and Ernie is trying to make Ernistine say "Ernie", and eventually, Bert comes in, and says "Hi Ernie! I'm Home!", Ernistine then looks at Bert (or Ernie) and says "BERT!!!!!" Now that's classic!

ISNorden

Reaction score
Almost any of the old Bert and Ernie sketches are laugh-your-rear-off funny; my Top 3 would be these--

1. Ernie bathing with an assortment of non-bath-related objects, which he rationalizes with bizarre "just in case" scenarios...and Bert looking flabbergasted when everything happens as Ernie predicts. My family can still quote this one verbatim on cue!
  2. Ernie breaking the cookie jar, moving the cookies to the sugar bowl, and so on until he puts the goldfish in Bert's cowboy hat; when Bert asks what he'll wear to play cowboy, Ernie plops a cooking pot onto his friend's head.
  3. Ernie keeping a cookie nearby to remind him of circles, which remind him of squares, which remind him of a checkerboard, and so on until he's reminded of the alarm clock ringing...which tells Ernie when it's time to eat the cookie.
It's moments like these that tempt me to invoke "Ernie Logic" when someone goes off on a string of free-associating tangents. :stick_out_tongue:

Other than the Bert and Ernie sketches, my nominee for Sesame Street's funniest moment is Joey's infamous alphabet sketch with Kermit. I still chuckle at the thought of Joey teasing poor Jim Henson with "Cookie Monster" half a dozen times...and winning Kermit's heart back with "I love you" after he threatens to leave.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Almost any of the old Bert and Ernie sketches are laugh-your-rear-off funny; my Top 3 would be these--

1. Ernie bathing with an assortment of non-bath-related objects, which he rationalizes with bizarre "just in case" scenarios...and Bert looking flabbergasted when everything happens as Ernie predicts. My family can still quote this one verbatim on cue!
  2. Ernie breaking the cookie jar, moving the cookies to the sugar bowl, and so on until he puts the goldfish in Bert's cowboy hat; when Bert asks what he'll wear to play cowboy, Ernie plops a cooking pot onto his friend's head.
  3. Ernie keeping a cookie nearby to remind him of circles, which remind him of squares, which remind him of a checkerboard, and so on until he's reminded of the alarm clock ringing...which tells Ernie when it's time to eat the cookie.
It's moments like these that tempt me to invoke "Ernie Logic" when someone goes off on a string of free-associating tangents. :stick_out_tongue:

Other than the Bert and Ernie sketches, my nominee for Sesame Street's funniest moment is Joey's infamous alphabet sketch with Kermit. I still chuckle at the thought of Joey teasing poor Jim Henson with "Cookie Monster" half a dozen times...and winning Kermit's heart back with "I love you" after he threatens to leave.
Now this skit is a wonderful example of how hilarious things can become on SS without anyone knowing about it ahead of time!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Know what else I loved? That myopic plasticine chair that kept bumping into things and saying "Oh, Excuse me!"

Man, me and my cousin used to imitate that cartoon all the time when we were little.

Then there was the time Elmo's World froze on screen and Elmo was laughing on a continuous loop and I didn't even realize anything was wrong for about a minute.

You can tell strange things make me laugh, right?

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Drtooth, you're not the only one who finds stuff like this very funny!

10Cakes

Reaction score
I also loved all of those E&B sketches, especially the rhyming game one. That "Hey there lamp" line and when Ernie accidentally said Bert's part and then said "You what what hmmm?" and they took it from there was priceless. Same goes for the Ernie and Ernestine sketch when Ernestine says "BERT!"

One favorite street part I can think of right now was on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, when Oscar's singing "I Hate Christmas" and he rips the E and L off of Mr Hooper's string of letters spelling "NOEL", making it spell "NO". Unlike Oscar, I love Christmas, but I loved that part, as well as the expression on Mr. Hooper's face.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Did you see the claymation skit for Arnold who had a large imagination (who would later have his own TV cartoon on Nickelodeon)? It was a strange bit, but funny indeed

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I loved the one with that singer singing "EXIT" then he couldn't figure out how to leave the room