When will toys tieing in to The Muppets be released?

robodog

Reaction score
About the Puss in Boots thing. Most Dreakmworks movies ( other than Shrek ) don't seem to have a lot of merchandise. The only Dreamworks film I can think of that had a lot of merchandise is How To Train Your Dragon. I don't think it sold very well though. They still have a lot of HTTYD merchandise on clearance at the Wal Marts around here.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
i was hoping for a new Muppet's video game, we would have already have heard about the development of that long ago if there was one. maybe with time. I'd really love an adventure game but i could see a Muppet Wii game with bowling penguins and a cooking mama type of Swedish chef game. If and when a Kingdom Hearts 3 game comes out, how cool would a Muppet theater world be with Kermit joining your group!

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i was hoping for a new Muppet's video game, we would have already have heard about the development of that long ago if there was one.
not entirely true only big name blockbuster movie games get early annocement...they didnt really announce the chipmunks game back in the day, again if these is a movie game it wont be anything super awesome extraordinary probably simple to apple to kids

Drtooth

Reaction score
About the Puss In Boots thing... It's basically a Shrek spinoff and I didn't see a lot of merchandise for the last Shrek movie. Certainly not to the level of being plastered everywhere that the previous 3 movies had. They may be easing off on the merchandise for PiB as well. Then again I don't see a lot of merchandise for a lot of Dreamworks movies other than Shrek. The only one I can think of that had a lot of merchandise is How To Train Your Dragon, and that didn't seem to sell all that well. One of the many Wal Marts I have access to still has som HTTYD stuff on clearance.
It depends on the movie. There usually is something... though Madagascar had to wait for the second movie and the Penguin cartoon spinoff to really get anything. Monsters VS Aliens was TRU exclusive, as was Megamind. Kung Fu Panda 1 saw a LOT of merchandise, but much less for for the second go around (I bet the TV series will have something though). Nothing for Over the Hedge except valentines and a Cake decoration... but there was some strange stuff for that terrible Sharktale movie.

Shrek IS their staple, though. Even the 4th one had some TRU exclusive stuff (bad stuff, but that's Playmates for you). You'd think to see some PIB stuff around, though.

Still, Happy Feet 2 stuff? Really....

robodog

Reaction score
Happy Feet 2 itself seems a bit superfluous let alone actual merchandise for it. I guess it may be worthwhile if you like penguins. I don't. Of course I don't like frogs either normally but Kermit himself is a very likeable character deserving of merchandise. No one in Happy Feet has that going for them.
And yes Sharktale was a horrible HORRIBLE movie. I actually paid to see it on Pay Per View. That's the only reason I watched the whole thing. Had there been no money involved I would have dropped out after the first half hour.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Happy Feet 2 itself seems a bit superfluous let alone actual merchandise for it. I guess it may be worthwhile if you like penguins.
I don't see why a sequel was needed. I mean, the premise was flimsy as it was. Plus, the only reason they made it was because of that documentary... and then Sony felt they needed to steal that with that worse movie with the surfing penguins. Now, I like penguins.. the Muppets were the first to tap into that... I like Robin Williams! But that doesn't mean I wanna sit through Stomp the Yard with Penguins. It's like an animated Jukebox musical... and I really dislike jukebox musicals.
And yes Sharktale was a horrible HORRIBLE movie. I actually paid to see it on Pay Per View. That's the only reason I watched the whole thing. Had there been no money involved I would have dropped out after the first half hour.
If you heard the horror stories of the Black Friday Toy Story reel, you know from whence Sharktale came. It was basically Jeffery Katzenberg's "edgy" answer to Finding Nemo, gussied up with lame Mafia movie stereotypes and characters copied from Shrek (try to tell me that the shrimp wasn't the Gingerbread man). I will say, I liked Jack Black in it and I did dig the Rastafarian jelly fish... but everything else was bleh... I like Will Smith and all, but seeing that movie makes me glad he turned down Osmosis Jones (which also had no merchandise, yet a cartoon show spinoff). I've been saying for years, Over the Hedge was the sign that they were turning things around.

Walter

Reaction score
yeah.. I did grab some of the stuff for Monsters Vs. Aliens when it was releasing the TRU exclusive stuff... well, they actually sold them at other locations as well.. like Kohls and Amazon.com.. but despite the little merchandise, It was still a neat run. I'm hoping once the Nickelodeon TV series takes off we'll get more ( It's suppossed to be released after KFP: LOA is mid run.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
They also had Pez dispensers, but they were European release only :mad: The Monsters Vs. Aliens stuff went fast. The Megamind stuff is still there, except for half the sets. The only Shrek stuff left is Rumpelstiltskin.

I saw the KFP toys at Target for... oh, let's say a week. Then they either sold out, or cleared them out fast.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
not entirely true only big name blockbuster movie games get early annocement...they didnt really announce the chipmunks game back in the day, again if these is a movie game it wont be anything super awesome extraordinary probably simple to apple to kids
yeah i don't mean a big announcement or anything. We had heard of Muppet Monster/MuppetRace Mainia long before they came out. just like a little blurp on-line that fans would only know about. The game usually comes out before the movie but if the movie does well I could see a Muppets video game in the near future. (not being based off the movie)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it...

Muppet Movies really didn't make all that much in merchandise. Especially at the beginning. Other than soundtracks and kids books (the Marvel version of MTM counts as that). GMC had those collectible glasses and posters at McDonalds, but that's about it.

MCC had a regional fast food promotion... but MTI was probably the first to see anything major. Even then, a couple plush toys, a national fast food promotion, a CD-Rom, and some shaped bottles of bubble bath. MFS had different international Fast Food promotions... and I guess that was about it. A cancelled and unproduced playset... but nothing more than kids books. Even EIG had some things, plush, a sing along video, and a video game... FTB only had kid's books. I know KSY also had a kid's meal promotion (possibly regional, cuz the Dairy Queens I need an hour ride to get to don't serve hot food... well, one does hot dogs, but that's about it) The only other movie specific plush was the Nanco MOz plush.

We already have multiple kid's books and Pez confirmed. There's no doubt plush will be at the Disney store... and that will STILL be the most merchandise a Muppet movie ever saw. And I don't count retroactive stuff like Muppet Racemania (which used the movies as race tracks) and Palisades action figures.