Henson Alternative Puppet Show Coming To NBC

beaker

Reaction score
Thanks to Frogboy posting this on facebook:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jim-henson-nbc-262544

The network has ordered a script for a single-camera comedy project about a Palm Springs family and its puppet neighbors.

As The Muppets prepares to hit theaters, NBC is readying some puppet fare of its own.
The network is developing The New Neighbors, a single-camera comedy project that centers on a family that lives in Palm Springs and is aghast with their new neighbors -- a gang of puppets.
The project, which hails from Jim Henson Studios in association with Universal Television, counts John Hoffman as a writer and executive producer. Henson Company CEO and Jim Henson's daughter Lisa Henson is attached as a non-writing EP.
File under the I'll believe it when I see it bin:smile: Even if it was just a short lived mid season replacement I'd be curious

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'd definitely watch this if it were to happen (if being the key word). I think it could be interesting.

beaker

Reaction score
I'd definitely watch this if it were to happen (if being the key word). I think it could be interesting.
Yeah sadly Jim Henson Company's "slated projects announced" are akin to one of those Lemmings video games...some make it across the bridge, but more often than not most don't make it.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Hmmm...sounds interesting, though not the muppets as such (Henson involved but not Disney). NBC does seem to love the muppets though, and who knows maybe this shows there is a market out there for a new Muppet shw of some sort. Me personally, I would be happy with anything puppet related on prime time TV. I just hope it is not something that plays to the lowest denominator.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Something tells me that even if this were to actually happen and not be in the graveyard of abandoned Henson projects, it still would only be a midseason replacement that easily gets canned. The premise is something straight out of the 1980's, and I doubt it will catch on, even if the show's an ironic parody. I'd love to see it but something tells me it's either going to be a concept that never happens or something that doesn't last.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is this thing still happening? Seems like it's going to be a mid-season replacement if anything.

I totally got confused by ABC's "The Neighbors," a similar premise but with Aliens instead of puppets, thinking that the project was switched to ABC and changed concept. The fact that the two are similarly named doesn't give me much hope, even if this does happen.

WillyThePig

Reaction score
Hmmm...sounds interesting, though not the muppets as such (Henson involved but not Disney). NBC does seem to love the muppets though, and who knows maybe this shows there is a market out there for a new Muppet shw of some sort. Me personally, I would be happy with anything puppet related on prime time TV. I just hope it is not something that plays to the lowest denominator.
Yeah I know what you mean, the muppets were great when the JHC still owned them. Since Disney bought them out they've lost the passion and soul that they originally had...they've become a little TOO
commercial...you know what I mean?