Oscar hosts...the Oscars?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, a couple of weeks ago or so, when Eddie Murphy announced he quit as host, there were rumors about who would replace him, including the Muppets... the anchors on the local news were like...

"The Muppets? Really? If that were ture, I don't think I could even watch the Oscars then!"
"Yeah, me either!"

That'd be the only way you could get ME to watch ANY awards show... all the way through... I wouldn't mind seeing Oscar host the Oscars, but it's already been announced Billy Crystal will host.

Princeton

Reaction score
Well, Billy Crystal's not so bad. The last Oscars he hosted that I saw was the year that Return of the King swept every award they were nominated for and I thought he was great!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The whining by Dreadline basically sums up why I'm glad the Muppets didn't become the hosts... the whole "ABC owns Disney, they own the Muppets, promotional stunt" crap (did anyone whine when the Emmys were on Fox and the star of one of Fox's biggest hits hosted? I think NOT!)

That said, these people clearly have no understanding that Disney's Muppet Ownership does NOT include Oscar the Grouch. Oscar would be a fun little gag, but he was only in 2 movies where he wasn't a brief cameo (then you'd have to count 4 more, including Night at the Museum 2). Oscar's more famous for being a television star, and a daytime one at that.

Still, I think Kermit and Piggy should pop up to give out the awards for best animated feature/short. They have cartoon characters randomly pop up on stage, sometimes even in the audience... the Muppets would be perfect for that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oscar would be a fun little gag, but he was only in 2 movies where he wasn't a brief cameo (then you'd have to count 4 more, including Night at the Museum 2). Oscar's more famous for being a television star, and a daytime one at that.
Well, Neil Patrick Harris is in that same boat (not daytime television, but still television), yet he was up for consideration as Oscar host as well, simply because of his popularity... personally, I'm getting a little tired of him, especially those awful commercials he does (as well as Jane Lynch) where he's all, "Ooh! Look at me! I'm a big celebrity! I endorse this product that I get so many cool extras with because I'm a big celebrity, and you're not!" They were funny... years ago, and when they used secondary has-beens who thought they were big A-Listers like John O'Hurley and Ryan Stiles.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, Billy Crystal's not so bad. The last Oscars he hosted that I saw was the year that Return of the King swept every award they were nominated for and I thought he was great!
Yup, I still have that on tape, he was hilarious, lol.

"I loved every frame of The Lord of the Rings so I downloaded it last night, all night, it took all night, it's so d**** long!" LOL

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Neil Patrick Harris is in that same boat (not daytime television, but still television), yet he was up for consideration as Oscar host as well, simply because of his popularity... personally, I'm getting a little tired of him, especially those awful commercials he does (as well as Jane Lynch) where he's all, "Ooh! Look at me! I'm a big celebrity! I endorse this product that I get so many cool extras with because I'm a big celebrity, and you're not!"
Neil's been around for years, and because he didn't fall into the same traps that other child actors fell into and found his way to Broadway. That's why he still has a career. Add the Harold and Kumar movies brought him back to the public. That's how he got on HIMYM.

But he's like in EVERYTHING... the new Muppet movie (his cameo is satisfying, but all too short), Batman Brave and the Bold, Adventure Time, Penguins of Madagascar (three popular cartoons in a less than 2 year period!)... one of the only 2 episodes of Glee I watched the whole way through... but he hasn't really broken out to film quite yet. He was a wonderful host of the Tony's, but then again, Broadway did so much for his career, it was a nice fitting tribute. I never actually watch them, but I did for him. He was electric.

I think he would do the Oscars proud, actually... but right now, he's more of a television/Broadway star. He's been in films, but rarely the star (unless you count the Smurfs, where he was a giant leap above the usual wooden human actor that doesn't want to be there).

Other than the whole idiotic complaint about publicity stunts, I just didn't think the Muppets would be a great fit for the Oscars... especially when they have the award for the... well... sad movies. Billy is a solid host, I'm still a bit disappointed that Eddie felt he had to resign because someone said something that's considered a slur outside of a Middle School or Youtube comments. I kinda wanted to see Eddie. Even with the crappy kid's films he's done, I still dig him.