Is anybody else just sick of Ice Age?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anime fan girls RUINED anime. This is coming from someone who hangs out with 1980's nerd stereotypes that watch anime videos in the community room of a hole Foods. They don't watch any of the good stuff, and the good stuff they do watch they completely ruin... they sucked ALL the satire out of Axis Power Hetalia.
I mean I never really got into anime as a genre much anyway... I did get into Pokemon when it ifrst hit the U.S., but I fell off that bandwagon well into the 2000s, it just got so hard to keep up with... I did occasionally watch French-based animes like Hamtaro and Totally Spies as guilty pleasures in my teens, but other than that. And yeah, even though some people closest to me fall into the category, these anime fan girls (and even the fan boys) scare me sometime... I mean, I think I' go into shock or cardiac arrest or something if I found myself in the middle of one of those cosplay conventions they seem to have in the northern midwest like every other month or so... who ARE those people?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hamtaro IS Japanese. I hate lame cutesy toy commercially fair like that. Those are, like, preschool shows and VERY bland compared to the Preschool shows we don't get, like Anpanman (which is actually kinda fun, a little cutesy, but weird enough to be fun).

I take it you wouldn't like the hyper violent Fist of the North Star... the extremely masculine post apocalyptic action show where characters' heads routinely blow up?

There are shows I find have universal appeal... I highly recommend Lupin III. it has a Pink Panther (the movie, not the cartoon) quality to it. You can't not love Zenegata, the overconfident cop who spent his life chasing Lupin, only to botch it up.

Here's another funny thing.. you know what one of the highest ranking "animes" in Japan is (where anime just generally means animation, so everything counts)? The old Tom and Jerry cartoons. They love them. Zenegata was based off of Tom.

beaker

Reaction score
@Dr Tooth: So glad you know who Kon is and dig his work. I saw Paprika and Perfect Blue in theaters, amazing. Especially Paprika. They truly are psychological thriller art films. And I LOVVVED Tokyo Godfathers. Millennium Actress was so so. But yeah, genius.

Yeah it takes me out of the film when Japanese people dont look Japanese...or when only the older middle aged to elderly men look Japanese, but all the females look white with red hair. And as always, the turn of the century mammy-minstrel show depiction of black guys is uh...interesting.

Japan began by emulating Disney in the 40's. Then in the late 90's, with Tarzan, Disney began aping Japan. Again, kind of funny

Well Tooth, I have to disagree with ya...everything about Brave screams mass marketed toy line of every shape and size. Marketed to both girls and boys. Toy lines of 3d and 2d Disney films with humans always have the oddly shaped secondary and bad guy characters too. I dont see art film, I just see a film thats going to bring in a lot of box office return. To me their 'art' films are more stuff like Up and Rattatouie, where they know its going to be a big gamble that might not appeal to a lot of people. Same with Wall E, a film I wanted to like.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Memories of Ratatouille merchandise just flooded back to me. Plush toys of the human characters going unsold and on deep clearance. They even had the grim Restaurant critic... I cannot for the life of me picture a little boy or girl cuddling up to that... kinda creepy sounding. Heh... no wonder they didn't make a Carl Bean Bag. They shoulda just stuck to the rats. I REALLY wish I got that figure set.

Brave could go either way... either we could have a bunch of action figures and figure sets, or we get a single play sword and nothing else. I could see them making it an art film and ignoring the toy line. Thing that bugs me...they whine about how girls aren't proactive and they're slaves to girly things... yet little girls IMMEDIATELY go for Princess dolls with interchangeable outfits... EVEN THOUGH half the Disney princesses are proactive and tough girls. I actually would love to see girls grabbing up Merida toys and acting out adventures.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Memories of Ratatouille merchandise just flooded back to me. Plush toys of the human characters going unsold and on deep clearance. They even had the grim Restaurant critic... I cannot for the life of me picture a little boy or girl cuddling up to that... kinda creepy sounding. Heh... no wonder they didn't make a Carl Bean Bag.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yeah it takes me out of the film when Japanese people dont look Japanese...or when only the older middle aged to elderly men look Japanese, but all the females look white with red hair.
Studio Ghibli's films do a pretty good job of having Asians look Asian.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was really taken by surprise when I saw the Brave trailer in the theater, because I had never heard anything about the movie beforehand, and I thought that all Pixar was working on right now were sequels (and in MI's case, a prequel).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was really taken by surprise when I saw the Brave trailer in the theater, because I had never heard anything about the movie beforehand, and I thought that all Pixar was working on right now were sequels (and in MI's case, a prequel).
Not really... Cars 2 was bumped up ONLY because another movie they were planning, Newt was canceled due to undisclosed production problems and the fact that the plot was similar to the hideous piece of garbage Alpha and Omega as well as Rio (which I didn't see and kinda want to). Cars 2 was set for next summer, and Brave was beyond that.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Not really... Cars 2 was bumped up ONLY because another movie they were planning, Newt was canceled due to undisclosed production problems and the fact that the plot was similar to the hideous piece of garbage Alpha and Omega as well as Rio (which I didn't see and kinda want to). Cars 2 was set for next summer, and Brave was beyond that.
Have you actually had the misfortune of seeing Alpha and Omega? My friend, who I swear is a closet furry, made me watch it with her. Given her reaction by the end of the movie, I don't think she really liked it that much either.

robodog

Reaction score
I'm a Furry and I have no interest in Alpha and Omega. And I should point out not all furries are in it for the R rated sex stuff. I avoid that stuff like the plague. I'm just in it because I like cartoons and movies involving talking dogs, drawing dogs and creating a nonhuman alter ego.