Is anybody else just sick of Ice Age?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Robotnik does need more love. I have a thing for supervillains anyway. Or, for that matter, dorks who think they are supervillains.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want an official Robotnik Shirt with the caption "SnooPING AS usual, I see!" I see Koopa merchandise all the time with Mario stuff...even his henchmen... at least we finally got some Eggman figures out of Jazzwares... unfortunately in expensive sets. Only characters you'll never see are the Sonic SatAm/Comic book characters. They had some Sally stuff in a short lived Australian theme park... that's it.

beaker

Reaction score
I actually tried to bid on some Australian Sally merch from Sega World on ebay several times. Always goes for a ton. Love what a strong female character she is.

Thats why Dr Tooth, I say you really should try and get into Sonic and Sonic Universe. In the last year both titles have just become insanely incredible. They have some of the best art/coloring Ive seen in any comic out there next to IDW Ghostbusters. Smart, fun writing. And best of all?
They bring together characters from ALL continuities into one cohesive universe.
Were talking SatAM, Sonic the Fighters Japan, the proper series, the Archieverse Sonic characters, etc. Its just amazing.

Ive heard you talk about crazy Sonic fans, the SatAM/comic vs game fans, the crazed Furries, etc. Im glad I never saw that. Im just a fan of the Sonic world in its entirety. I equally LOVE satAM and the comics as well as the games...even if I havent played most the modern 3d ones.

I cant stand the slapsticky 1993 one, but I actually do like some of Sonic Underground.

beaker

Reaction score
Robotnik does need more love. I have a thing for supervillains anyway. Or, for that matter, dorks who think they are supervillains.
Which Robotnik/Eggman era do you prefer? Im guessing youre like me and prefer old school? :smile: They actually just released a classic Dr Robotnik figure at Toys R Us

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thats why Dr Tooth, I say you really should try and get into Sonic and Sonic Universe. In the last year both titles have just become insanely incredible. They have some of the best art/coloring Ive seen in any comic out there next to IDW Ghostbusters. Smart, fun writing. And best of all?
They bring together characters from ALL continuities into one cohesive universe.
Were talking SatAM, Sonic the Fighters Japan, the proper series, the Archieverse Sonic characters, etc. Its just amazing.
I got back into it with the Genesis arc. I was just going to collect it as 20th anniversary merchandise... but I think I'm going to keep going on with it. I never really got back into it because every time I did, I missed so many issues that I couldn't tell what the heck was going on. I picked up a few old back issues recently. Comic's been going strong almost 20 years now. I've never seen response to any licensed comic like that before. And to think, it all started out with a bunch of light hearted puns. Still, I wish I coulda seen the OTHER Sonic comic book from the UK... I've found sites that have some chapters, but not the whole thing.

Robotnik/Eggman is one of my all time favorite video game badguys... right up there with Dr. Wily and King Koopa. I LOVE his Sonic Adventure/Sonic X design. I'm glad they stood with the American voice actor who played him in Sonic X when they changed the rest of the cast. I also love the Long John Baldry AOSTH version. He brought a lot more fun to the role than he needed. Only reason I even like it is because of the play between the villains. Sonic's kinda a flat cartoonish character in that one and Tails is kinda useless.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After watching the original Ice Age on FX (the television broadcast equivilant of movies being in the five-dollar discount bin at Walmart) the other day, I'm reminded of how much the original movie was fine as, and should have remained as a stand alone feature.

I haven't seen Continental Drift yet, but I haven't heard a single positive review thus far. I had heard there was a lot more innuendos in this one though, lol. But still, I'm just... I just can't bring myself to watch any further installment in this series, I was aliented by Meltdown. I was curious/excited at first, but Meltdown really sucked... Dawn of the Dinosaurs, while a little better (mostly because of Buck), because of the timing with the Land of the Lost remake, it almost seemed like a LOTL rip-off... Continental Drift... again, I can't tbring myself to check it out. And Nicki Minaj? Really?

But yeah, the sequels are nothing like the original in any form, and as such, I like to TRY to pretend that the sequels don't exist, and that the original IS a stand alone feature.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't seen Continental Drift yet, but I haven't heard a single positive review thus far. I had heard there was a lot more innuendos in this one though, lol. But still, I'm just... I just can't bring myself to watch any further installment in this series, I was aliented by Meltdown. I was curious/excited at first, but Meltdown really sucked... Dawn of the Dinosaurs, while a little better (mostly because of Buck), because of the timing with the Land of the Lost remake, it almost seemed like a LOTL rip-off... Continental Drift... again, I can't tbring myself to check it out. And Nicki Minaj? Really?

Continental Drift is half decent. The stuff about Pirates and Sid's batcrap crazy senile grandmother was actually pretty entertaining. The crap about Manny's daughter feeling like an outsider because everyone hated her rodent friend? That was boring filler that was thrown in for the female demographic. The storytelling was the most solid in this film than all the others, but the story itself wasn't as strong as the first or even the third. Scratt's part of the film seemed a little less disjointed this time. At least it didn't completely feel like going through the motions. With Scratlantis, anyway. That was probably the best thing in the movie besides the Pirates and Sid's Grandmother. Those two steal the show.

Still, I hope this is the LAST one. Ice Age is completely overrated (though I do like most of the characters), and Robots really deserved a sequel.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I love the first Ice Age movie, it was one of my favorites growing up (it was the waterfall scene and the bit in the cave that sold the movie for me), but I really didn't like the sequels. :frown: It's like they stripped away everything that was good about the first Ice Age and replaced it with dumb Shrek 3-like humour. The heart was gone out of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, it's almost clear to us that Blue Sky wanted Ice Age to be their Shrek, but yeah.

And I should probably beat Drtooth over the head with his spoilers over Sid having a grandma, but then again, I don't think I'll ever see this movie myself, so it doesn't really matter.

I DO hope they gave Diego a little more character development (I'm assuming their did since there's supposedly a subplot with him and a lady tiger), because really, Diego just took up space in DOTD.

And that's another thing too: there was a nice simplicity about the "herd" just pertaining to the threesome of Manny, Sid, and Diego, but it's gotten a little overcrowded, especially since Manny and Ellie have a daughter, who apparently has a rodent friend like Drtooth said, and I'm assuming Diego's new gal is part of the herd as well (and I guess Sid's grandma)... so that's like what... nine, ten main characters?

Drtooth

Reaction score
And I should probably beat Drtooth over the head with his spoilers over Sid having a grandma, but then again, I don't think I'll ever see this movie myself, so it doesn't really matter.
It isn't much of a spoiler. She comes in 5 or 10 minutes in and stays for the entire movie afterwards.

I DO hope they gave Diego a little more character development (I'm assuming their did since there's supposedly a subplot with him and a lady tiger), because really, Diego just took up space in DOTD.
He has quite a bit of character development over that, actually. There was a struggle with his feelings towards her, and I'm not spoiling that bit... but if you don't care, the female tiger is part of the pirate crew and then has a face heel turn.

It really feels like there was an aborted story arc in DOTD where he was going to sadly lie back and die until he got over his feelings about his age, but it wasn't fast paced and funny enough, so they just have this dangling unresolved plot point.

I love the first Ice Age movie, it was one of my favorites growing up (it was the waterfall scene and the bit in the cave that sold the movie for me), but I really didn't like the sequels. :frown: It's like they stripped away everything that was good about the first Ice Age and replaced it with dumb Shrek 3-like humour. The heart was gone out of it.
The only thing I can say for the sequels is that they get a little more coherent with the storytelling. The first one did its own thing, but the rest fell into the "Next Shrek" category. Hopefully they'll take another cue from Shrek and end it with movie 4. Plus, the home video version probably doesn't have the Maggie Simpson cartoon. That's basically the reason I saw it. And the pirates.