Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

beaker

Reaction score
Im asian and I laugh my butt off at asian stereotypes in cartoons. Tho that could also be because Im about as "white washed" as it gets and have no connection to anything remotely cultural asian wise

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Im asian and I laugh my butt off at asian stereotypes in cartoons. Tho that could also be because Im about as "white washed" as it gets and have no connection to anything remotely cultural asian wise
As an Italian American, I really don't like the Mafia jokes. I mean why would you want your cultural identity to be constantly associated with low life criminals and murderers?

The Godfather I don't mind as much because it actually portrays the mob accurately: a desperate, horrible choice some immigrants made in order to make it in a new, unfriendly country. And in the end, such a life will only bring you pain.

However, I will laugh at the Italian jokes in The Golden Girls because they're not cruel and in many ways they reflect real family dynamics.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As an Italian American, I really don't like the Mafia jokes. I mean why would you want your cultural identity to be constantly associated with low life criminals and murderers?

The problem with the Mafia is simple... the Italian one's the only one people know about or even associate BECAUSE of The Godfather. Every culture has their own Mafia... Russians, Irish... the Japanese Yakuza. And while I see references here and there to the others (like that episode of Frasier where Frasier and Niles get high quality caviar from a member of the Russian Mob... classic episode), everyone's lazy and just copies Godfather, Goodfellahs, and the Sopranos.

I once had an idea of a Norwegian Mafia that controls herring distribution. I gotta use that somewhere before someone takes it.

Fraggline

Reaction score
I agree with what everybody else says: I think this man is overreacting a bit. I mean, if everybody acted the same way in every situation like this, Fraggle Rock would have aired once a month--it would take that long to write a show because the writers would be watching every combination of words for slurs! Still, however, you have to feel sorry for him. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but maybe he heard a lot of mean words in his life and just wants to protect his daughter from them, or perhaps he is, by nature, sensitive. You never know, anyway.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
First all those Sesame Street toys talking about death, now this?

Collgoff

Reaction score
Hey I thought the misundersatnding line from Fraggle Rock is all over!