Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Unless it is a gigantic success worldwide, there probably won't be another theatrical film for a long while
That's not so important to me. If this movie manages to inspire parents to introduce their kids to more Muppets, then it's done its job.

zoebell

Reaction score
well, maybe it will be a giant success worldwide. it doesn't open overseas until next year, so it's got some time

i'm disappointed about this though. i really did think it would only have a small decrease this weekend, and would beat twilight for sure. twilight usually falls off a cliff by its third weekend.

plus, i would think a movie that opened to 40 million plus would have no trouble cracking 100 million

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It really depends on how you look at it. I liked what Entertainment Weekly said:

"Still, that result will push its two-week total to $56 million — quite an accomplishment for a $45-million movie about a franchise that many considered dead."

goldenstate5

Reaction score
i'm disappointed about this though. i really did think it would only have a small decrease this weekend, and would beat twilight for sure. twilight usually falls off a cliff by its third weekend.
Twilight fell off the cliff, but Muppets fell harder.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Twilight fell off the cliff, but Muppets fell harder.
As the old saying goes, "The wheels of justice grind slow but exceedingly fine." When the Twilight movies are over they will meet a new friend called "movie franchise oblivion." :wink:

For The Muppets to get to 2nd at all, especially in front of those other kids movies is an accomplishment.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The movie basically made its budget back opening weekend...and still has yet to open in several other countries and has yet to be released on home video. Hobo Joe could be the only one to watch the movie next week and Disney would still see it as a success.

beaker

Reaction score
The "bad news" isn't that Twilight is number one, it's that the Muppets slipped 77% and has proven, despite the modest opening, that it was frontloaded. It will only accumulate a whole of 55 million this weekend, and as the weeks tick on, with Chipmunks (sigh) looming to destroy this picture. However unfortunate it may seem, it looks like The Muppets will only wind up with about 80 million domestic.

Unless it is a gigantic success worldwide, there probably won't be another theatrical film for a long while, as Disney will turn its attention towards the small screen. So, good news, bad news.

Good news: more Muppets!
Bad news: not in theaters.
We won't know til Sunday night if the Muppets literally dropped over 2/3. Everywhere I go when I wear my Kermit shirt people get excited and ask if I saw the movie, but again that might not translate to mass appeal. To me the Twilight thing is a non factor since even if that was out I dont think the Muppet numbers would be any different.

Anyways, Im pretty sure another Muppet film will be greenlit sooner than later. I say they make it a total indie movie and have it under touchstone or something:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
The movie basically made its budget back opening weekend...and still has yet to open in several other countries and has yet to be released on home video. Hobo Joe could be the only one to watch the movie next week and Disney would still see it as a success.
Well it beat all four of the major kids movies at the box office. Twilight was not its competition. So that's something to cheer for.

I am a bit stunned in retrospect...I thought all the major buzz and critical acclaim would propel it to do seriously big numbers in its second week

Personally I don't have an emotional investment in the film exceeding box office expectation. Muppet fandom post JH has been underground, below the radar. And like the end of the film, even if they lose what matters is people love them in their hearts. Part of me likes the Muppets being a more exclusive flavor for people

Every middle aged woman in america has disneyana kitch, and every kid has pixar stuff.
Depending on my mood, I range from "meh" on Disney to not a fan...but then again I have no real emotional tie to classic Disney.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well it beat all four of the major kids movies at the box office. Twilight was not its competition. So that's something to cheer for.
It's a lot to cheer for. It beat CGI kids films, that's incredible!

OK, for once I'm surprised at the negativity here, lol. I mean the whole point of the movie was that even if they didn't technically reach their goal, the important thing is that they tried. Plus they still had a ton of fans rooting for them. The same applies to real life I think. :smile:

goldenstate5

Reaction score
The best news is that "The Muppets", no matter how you look at it, is not a flop. So while there may not be any films on the near horizon (or total Muppet overdrive), I forsee a special and other various projects greenlit very soon.

The franchise certainly is not dead.