Frank Oz worked on a new Muppet movie script

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ive now had over a week to let the new film digest. I kind of want to keep this part private and away from most people...but the new movie kind of leaves me feeling weird. Its not that I think its a bad film like Oz or a letdown like MFS or KSY. In a way it mirrors VMX. In 2002 when it aired I wrote this long screed on here(Im sure its still searchable) where I wrote with great jubilation how this is everything we needed and the muppets are back. But now I cant even watch VMX. And notice how eerily similar the new film is to VMX. Theres even the nirvana thing in it. Bitterman reminds me of rashida jones character meets richman. I need to watch VMX again, but it eerily matches the new film in pacing/randomness/etc...just without the heart the new film has. One thing VMX has that got to me is the part about the world if things were different...that sort of strange timeline, because thats how my own life feels like. That things are a skewed timeline, like back to the future's 2 alternative 1985.
I think the film is like a far better done version of VMX. There's stuff that really spoke to me inn that movie and some stuff I just can't find the same thrill watching... and then there's the stuff that's just terribly forced into the script... the countless NBC promos... that sequence where Fozzie couldn't get the money to the bank (though I love the emotional payoff)... the line "To the Batphone Robin," that completely forced poorly dubbed kung fu movie bit. And above all, Sam the Eagle talking like Sideshow Mel. But I LOVED the stage show and the alternate reality.

Though it is funny to see what was very similar in the film... the weird Kung Fu movie reference when they kidnap Jack Black (better done, though), the reference to reality TV (also better done and NOT a TV show promo forced in).... Everything's better done and has a better flow.

I do agree something better could have been done instead of the getting the gang back together montage. The 1980's cleaning montage bit worked MUCH better on a bunch of levels... the weird nod to 1980's movies, the gags were better... over all, the Muppets sang to it. If only the getting everyone back together was that sharp.

beaker

Reaction score
I think the film is like a far better done version of VMX. There's stuff that really spoke to me inn that movie and some stuff I just can't find the same thrill watching... and then there's the stuff that's just terribly forced into the script... the countless NBC promos... that sequence where Fozzie couldn't get the money to the bank (though I love the emotional payoff)... the line "To the Batphone Robin," that completely forced poorly dubbed kung fu movie bit. And above all, Sam the Eagle talking like Sideshow Mel. But I LOVED the stage show and the alternate reality.

Though it is funny to see what was very similar in the film... the weird Kung Fu movie reference when they kidnap Jack Black (better done, though), the reference to reality TV (also better done and NOT a TV show promo forced in).... Everything's better done and has a better flow.

I do agree something better could have been done instead of the getting the gang back together montage. The 1980's cleaning montage bit worked MUCH better on a bunch of levels... the weird nod to 1980's movies, the gags were better... over all, the Muppets sang to it. If only the getting everyone back together was that sharp.
Oh gosh, yeah I forgot the kung fu bit. That was so poorly executed, with a bad cinematography job, bad cgi, etc. Again, shades of VMX. That Salena Gomez/kid from Modern Family scene, shades of VMX. The golden twinkle effects when they clean the stage and other fade uses, very tv special like. Other scenes feel like a movie, some scenes feel like they're out of an NBC special from a decade ago.

I need to watch VMX soon, but I have this strange suspicion that the new movie is more closely related to VMX than I would have imagined...whether if it is coincidence or not. I mean they both came out at the exact same time pretty much 9 years apart(nov 29 2002/nov 23 2011)

The we built this city montage was great, and it flowed naturally. The beau part was classic("where did everyone go?")

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh gosh, yeah I forgot the kung fu bit. That was so poorly executed, with a bad cinematography job, bad cgi, etc. Again, shades of VMX. That Salena Gomez/kid from Modern Family scene, shades of VMX. The golden twinkle effects when they clean the stage and other fade uses, very tv special like. Other scenes feel like a movie, some scenes feel like they're out of an NBC special from a decade ago.
I tend to think that was random, didn't really need to be in there, but not half as bad as the bad Kung Fu Dub bit. Selena Gomez's line was a wonderful Backhand, "My agent told me to be here." Those two things are the only Disney studio meddling in the film.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well for what it was worth VMX was a NBC co production so of course they would try and buff of there other shows.

Beauregard

Reaction score
So according to this article here, Frank Oz wasn't overly happy with the concept or the script or the dynamic of The Muppets Take Manhatten, either. Maybe he has something against the Muppets splitting up? (After all, it was he (I think?) who says that they each have a part to play against each other -- Miss Piggy loves Kermit, Floyd annoys Miss Piggy, Foo Foo hates Floyd, etc)

If Frank didn't appreciate TMTM, I would love to see what exactly he would do with the Muppets in a future movie. I'd really really like to see him involved with the next one in a writing or directing capacity.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I hope Frank comes around and helps with a future Muppet project. And, as much as I love/adore Eric, I wouldn't mind seeing him do Fozzie, Piggy, Sam, and Animal one last time either. I know he's retired from performing his Muppets (with the exception of Sesame Street characters on occasion), but that would be really great if we got to see him perform them at least once more.

Epictetus

Reaction score
I just saw the most amazing film of the year, which Im sure will be up for a few oscars. It's called "The Descendents" starring George Clooney. Like the original Muppet film, Alien, The Shining, Silence of the Lambs, etc its one of those absolutely perfect films in my view. Sadly hardly anyone will see it since its a "quieter qausi-indie" adult dramedy release
I had a busy weekend and forgot to check in on this thread. Egads, what a lot of great discussion!

I don't have time, at the moment, to say more than that The Descendants is THE BEST. I just saw it last week and the first thing I said to my wife after the credits rolled was, "Well! That was a perfect movie." I have not time or art enough to say what an incredibly touching, compassionate, honest film it is. Please! If you have any time at all this month, go see this in the theater. Beaker couldn't be more right about how good it is.

beaker

Reaction score
I had a busy weekend and forgot to check in on this thread. Egads, what a lot of great discussion!

I don't have time, at the moment, to say more than that The Descendants is THE BEST. I just saw it last week and the first thing I said to my wife after the credits rolled was, "Well! That was a perfect movie." I have not time or art enough to say what an incredibly touching, compassionate, honest film it is. Please! If you have any time at all this month, go see this in the theater. Beaker couldn't be more right about how good it is.
Indeed, you just know immediately when you've seen a flawless amazing movie. The only other films that came close to giving me that feeling this year was Cedar Rapids, Rango, Midnight in Paris and Drive. But by far the most real, incredible experience for me this year was The Descendents. I wish I could say I felt as satisfied after seeing the Muppets, but it seems to have done what it needed to do for fans, the public and critics alike.

Epictetus

Reaction score
This doesn't just affect kids movies. Basically all movies are kinda like this now.
I can only agree with this to a limited extent. There is truth to the idea that the majority of big-budget, mainstream films are directed at teenage male audiences these days. This was not always the case: prior to Star Wars, studios made there money with a larger number of lower-budget movies made for adults.

But every year boasts between 15 - 25 very good films - even now - with none of the negative qualities I described earlier.
Indeed, you just know immediately when you've seen a flawless amazing movie. The only other films that came close to giving me that feeling this year was Cedar Rapids, Rango, Midnight in Paris and Drive. But by far the most real, incredible experience for me this year was The Descendents. I wish I could say I felt as satisfied after seeing the Muppets, but it seems to have done what it needed to do for fans, the public and critics alike.
This is evidence. I didn't see Cedar Rapids or Rango, but I saw Midnight in Paris and Drive, and they're both basically as good as movies get or have ever gotten. Individual artists are making tremendous film, but, sure: it's not what's earning all the money in modern America.

Wes Anderson, for instance, has made a string of incredible movies - but they've earned about exactly as much as they've cost. Woody Allen makes a movie every year, and they range from okay to masterpiece. But, yeah, he has to go to Europe these days to get financing.

So there's great art being made, but it doesn't seem to be what most Americans are buying. (Pixar, of course, is always the exception.)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So according to this article here, Frank Oz wasn't overly happy with the concept or the script or the dynamic of The Muppets Take Manhatten, either. Maybe he has something against the Muppets splitting up? (After all, it was he (I think?) who says that they each have a part to play against each other -- Miss Piggy loves Kermit, Floyd annoys Miss Piggy, Foo Foo hates Floyd, etc)

If Frank didn't appreciate TMTM, I would love to see what exactly he would do with the Muppets in a future movie. I'd really really like to see him involved with the next one in a writing or directing capacity.
Well he was also credited for a writing credit as well, so he must really have a strong idea about what the Muppets should do.