Kids Entering Magic Lands

Xerus

Reaction score
The stories I like the best are about when ordinary kids find themselves in strange magic lands, either visiting or lost there, and they have to find ways of fitting in with the unique inhabitants of that land. This made me want to create my Rebusquest webcomic. Here are the names of my favorite books, movies, and TV shows about kids in magic lands.

Adventure Time with Finn and Jake, Alice in Wonderland, Animalia, The Dreamland Chronicles, Flatmania, Ghostopolis, Here Comes The Grump, H.R. Pufnstuf, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Labyrinth, Lidsville, The Lost Saucer, Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland, The Magic Roundabout, Monster Rancher, The Neverending Story, The Pagemaster, The Phantom Tollbooth, Rosario + Vampire, Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, The Talking Parcel, The Wizard of Oz, and a Wrinkle in Time.

If anyone knows any more kids in magic land stories, I would like to check those out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Adventure Time is amazing for basically parodying those, and yet being one itself. I wouldn't call it a kid entering a magic land, since it seems like Finn was always there. They never had any backwards continuity that I know of.

Would Potsworth and the Midnight Patrol count as kids entering Magic lands considering its a dream world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZS3WdRFQc4

I don't know if I'd count Fantastic Max, since that's more of a little kid going into outer space worlds. Sometimes they go other places, I think... I know there was one time they went into a storybook to chase after FX's bratty cousin.

Xerus

Reaction score
Yes, Midnight Patrol would count. It was such a cosmic series. Just like this great webcomic series, The Dreamland Chronicles. About a college guy who enters a magic dream world whenever he sleeps. http://www.thedreamlandchronicles.com/

And I guess Fantastic Max could count too.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
You might enjoy Coraline. (Book and animated movie), Bridge to Teribithia (tearjerker just as a warning),Peter Pan (you probably know this story), Five Children and It (they encounter a mythical creature so it count), and The BFG (book by author of Charlie and The Choclate Factory. Other good ones are Fablehaven, (book series) and Spiderwick Chronicles (movie, I've not read the books).

beaker

Reaction score
Mirrormask. The Fall. Pans Labyrinth. Coraline. Jan Svankmajer's Alice. The Neverending Story. All must see imaginative films

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I forgot Island of The Aunts by Eva Ibbotson. That's a good story. (Very underrated)

Xerus

Reaction score
You might enjoy Coraline. (Book and animated movie), Bridge to Teribithia (tearjerker just as a warning),Peter Pan (you probably know this story), Five Children and It (they encounter a mythical creature so it count), and The BFG (book by author of Charlie and The Choclate Factory. Other good ones are Fablehaven, (book series) and Spiderwick Chronicles (movie, I've not read the books).
When I first saw the previews The Bridge to Teribithia, I got excited about seeing it. But when I found out this land was only in their heads and most of the story involved real life drama with families and school, I became disappointed.

I liked BFG, Big Friendly Giant. I saw it on Disney Channel back in the 80's. A girl befriending a giant, voiced by David Jason who also voiced Dangermous and Count Duckula.

Yes, I know Peter Pan. Thank you for reminding me about that. I've written down all those titles and I'm going to look them up. Thanx again.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
When I first saw the previews The Bridge to Teribithia, I got excited about seeing it. But when I found out this land was only in their heads and most of the story involved real life drama with families and school, I became disappointed.

I liked BFG, Big Friendly Giant. I saw it on Disney Channel back in the 80's. A girl befriending a giant, voiced by David Jason who also voiced Dangermous and Count Duckula.

Yes, I know Peter Pan. Thank you for reminding me about that. I've written down all those titles and I'm going to look them up. Thanx again.
No problem! I hope you like them all!

robodog

Reaction score
I liked Midnight Patrol more than I probably should have considering I was about 14 when it aired.

I had originally decided to avoid Bridge to Teribithia since I found out the ads were misleading. My mom got it on pay per view one day and since I had nothing better to do I sat down to watch it with her. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I later found out that the creators got really ticked off at the way it was marketed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Midnight Patrol, it had to be 1988 or so... that show drove me crazy for years because I had a vague recollection of it and couldn't even remember the name until sometime in the 90's when I got a Dasdardly and Muttley video that had it as one of the previews at the end. I remembered Fantastic Max and the obscure Hanna Barbera show Don Coyote being on the same Sunday Morning line up they had... just couldn't remember the name of it for that long.

Bridge to Teribithia I always took as a bunch of kids playing in a wooded area. It was all in their imaginations, and it came to a screeching halt when.. well, the end happened. I remember reading that book in grade school, and it really seemed like a window into the world of a kid of the perfect age, when they're old enough to play outside on their own, but while they're still relatively young enough to have imagination and not be so jaded.