What's in store for the Muppets in 2012 article

goldenstate5

Reaction score
It's best shot was a holiday release and let's face it: it could have been worse. Under Disney's original schedule, the film wouldn't be out until tomorrow! And then crushed by Chipmunks for sure.

beaker

Reaction score
Let's not mince words... If the Smurfs didn't kill it then, the Super Hero movies would have. I don't think it would have opened at 3rd and made half as much as it did. After all, that's when MFS was released.
Ugh, as much as I have utterly hated the Smurfs(especially this latest cgi hybrid monstrosity) the idea of Smurfs triumphing over the Muppets would bug me immensely. Well it sounds like either way there were factors going against it. Also I dont think MFS would make much if it had been released in 2011 around the holidays

beaker

Reaction score
It's best shot was a holiday release and let's face it: it could have been worse. Under Disney's original schedule, the film wouldn't be out until tomorrow! And then crushed by Chipmunks for sure.
Oh thats right! I totally forgot about that. Ugh, yeah what was Disney thinking wanting it to go head to head with BOTH Alvin and Tin Tin? Not to mention Mission Impossible 4, Dragon Tattoo, etc

I love December movies, as a lot of the best films are saved for this time. The Descendents and Young Adult are amazing films, and from what Im reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Incredibly Loud and Close and Dragon Tattoo are also amazing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh, as much as I have utterly hated the Smurfs(especially this latest cgi hybrid monstrosity) the idea of Smurfs triumphing over the Muppets would bug me immensely. Well it sounds like either way there were factors going against it. Also I dont think MFS would make much if it had been released in 2011 around the holidays
The fact Winnie the Pooh, possibly because it was released too soon after Cars 2, did so poorly almost gave me no faith in a Muppet Summer release this year. I know the movie was barely an hour long, and we've all been made to think Winnie the Pooh is a preschool franchise (due in part to the Playhouse Disney shows)... but it should have done better. I'd hate to see Disney abandon their 2-D comebacks because Pooh and Princess and the Frog underperformed (though were destined to be huge on DVD anyway). I really kinda wanted to see WTP trump the Smurfs, but that was destined not to happen.

Smurfs was REALLY REALLY lucky. That late July release did wonders for it. Considering it was to be released in the death slot of August (G.I. Joe movie, all I have to say), and the fact that it looked like Sony had zero faith in it dumping it there, moving the release date up did all the better for the film. I'm still mixed on the final product, but if the film's success leads to more Papercutz releases of the original comics (You know I love my Euro comics), I'm not going to complain.

Still... I have to ask... how the shell do Underworld movies keep getting made? I'm shocked anyone even goes to see them. Or maybe they make a crap load on DVD rentals. If they can make 4 Underworld movies, they can make a second Muppet movie.

beaker

Reaction score
The fact Winnie the Pooh, possibly because it was released too soon after Cars 2, did so poorly almost gave me no faith in a Muppet Summer release this year. I know the movie was barely an hour long, and we've all been made to think Winnie the Pooh is a preschool franchise (due in part to the Playhouse Disney shows)... but it should have done better. I'd hate to see Disney abandon their 2-D comebacks because Pooh and Princess and the Frog underperformed (though were destined to be huge on DVD anyway). I really kinda wanted to see WTP trump the Smurfs, but that was destined not to happen.

Smurfs was REALLY REALLY lucky. That late July release did wonders for it. Considering it was to be released in the death slot of August (G.I. Joe movie, all I have to say), and the fact that it looked like Sony had zero faith in it dumping it there, moving the release date up did all the better for the film. I'm still mixed on the final product, but if the film's success leads to more Papercutz releases of the original comics (You know I love my Euro comics), I'm not going to complain.

Still... I have to ask... how the shell do Underworld movies keep getting made? I'm shocked anyone even goes to see them. Or maybe they make a crap load on DVD rentals. If they can make 4 Underworld movies, they can make a second Muppet movie.
Many films get endless sequels, but massive budget sequels...and four movies? Yeah I don't know anyone into the Underworld movies. I can think of so many action films I love way more(Will Smiths I Am Legend and I Robot come to mind, the first two matrix films, Fifth Element, Tank Girl) We're on Ice Age 4 now...yet truly outstanding kids cgi films like Robots, Monsters vs Aliens, etc will never get one.

Winnie the Pooh is seen as a kind of...whats the word, respected but not widely beloved amongst kids sort of franchise. It's mostly middle aged women who snatch up anything Pooh related. It's way too 'classic' to have a big sway with kids. Also people are used to Winnie the Pooh being more of a direct to video sort of brand. Sure there Piglet/Tigger/Huffalumps in theaters, but then theres a lot of direct to video "movies" where they sandwhich a few newly animated scenes with New Adventures tv Pooh footage and call it a movie. Disney did that a LOT with cheapquels. And now, notice cheapquels are no more thankfully(tho I did like Tarzan 2 a lot)

Yeah youre right, August is kind of a disrespectful slot to put a film, as is January. Scott Pilgrim totally failed at the box office, despite the fact everyone claims to love it

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I can't speak for everybody else's theaters, but the closest theater to me just had their last showings of The Muppets yesterday. So yeah, I think this movie only has a tiny bit left to go before it's done.

beaker

Reaction score
I can't speak for everybody else's theaters, but the closest theater to me just had their last showings of The Muppets yesterday. So yeah, I think this movie only has a tiny bit left to go before it's done.
Well, it *almost* lasted a month. I guess thats better than some movies.

The Muppets will always be underground in my view. I mean how come a Dr Who or even Firefly forum will have way more people and active users than here? This is a franchise that literally spans the globe, and for almost 60 years. Yet outside of facebook comments on muppets official page or peoples personal postings on their own walls, there's not much Muppet fandom going on.

It sucks to say, but Tex Richman has a point. Theres not too much love for the Muppets...oh sure, people might say they have a favorite muppet(usually 'ralph', 'fonzie', or 'those two old guys') but the fact the Muppets wasnt seen even close to the people who go to see shrek or even new franchises like chipmunks...well...yeah.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah youre right, August is kind of a disrespectful slot to put a film, as is January. Scott Pilgrim totally failed at the box office, despite the fact everyone claims to love it
January/February is alright enough for Winter vacation months... that's how that dreadful Gnome thing became a surprise VERY lucky hit. Disney started putting cheapquels and theatrical versions of their cartoon shows in those months (at least Recess, Teacher's Pet, and Doug's First Movie) and they did alright enough. Big movies start around March for some reason... and it's like they're pushing Summer movies earlier into April now. August is when the fall films start up, and like the end of the summer mehbusters.

Though, I tend to think that Scott Pilgrim was treated like a low key underground indie film on purpose. The marketing was mostly viral and word of mouth. I don't think I saw so much as a television spot for that one. That's probably why they shoved the entire 6 issue graphic novel series plotline into a single movie. Somehow they didn't think it would be huge on the mainstream, and it could have easily been a DTV project, but they gave it a limited theatrical release anyway.

The Muppets will always be underground in my view. I mean how come a Dr Who or even Firefly forum will have way more people and active users than here? This is a franchise that literally spans the globe, and for almost 60 years. Yet outside of facebook comments on muppets official page or peoples personal postings on their own walls, there's not much Muppet fandom going on.It sucks to say, but Tex Richman has a point. Theres not too much love for the Muppets...oh sure, people might say they have a favorite muppet(usually 'ralph', 'fonzie', or 'those two old guys')
I don't think anyone realizes it's a fanbase. it's just people who like them. A LOT of people really seem to like them, but mainly as people who like them. Not what I call true fans. There's a lot of them in the media who say they've been inspired by them and reference them.. maybe they're fans. But it's not seen as a Star Trek type following. Still, I wonder what the percentage of people who are just waiting for the DVD are.

but the fact the Muppets wasnt seen even close to the people who go to see shrek or even new franchises like chipmunks...well...yeah.
More like dragged to the Chipmunks. Even then. I don't think this one's going to be the surprise hit of the first and the REALLY?!?! hit of the second one. Besides, the reviews for those films have all been universally dreadful. And it's mainly screaming little snot eaters under the age of 7 that want to see them. it's not so much a fan base as a bunch of kindergarteners that haven't been completely jaded of fart and poo poo jokes.

Friskies

Reaction score
I hope they come out with a ton of new muppet merchandise and shows. Considering the new movie has made me a fan, I would love to get some new material! I mean, things are new to me since I haven't seen a lot, but i think i'm a "new generation" of muppet fans that the movie created, so in being that, I like the classics that I have seen, but some new stuff might bring in some more fans like me, who will want to watch the classics as well!

goldenstate5

Reaction score
So Muppets actually did very well Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday is the real test. I'm not sure how much the theater count is going to drop... but it could be scathing. Stay tuned..