Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 42

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said... back to normal. I missed the first couple minutes, but it was clearly going to be another one of those episodes... Of course, it combined 2 of those episodes... Elmo and one of three female monsters things in nature are different and let's build something through trial and error. Both over used the past 3 seasons, and I'm pretty sure Super Grover 2.0 handles the trial and error thing good enough.

Stinky was the only saving grace.

But wow! A new Abby AND a new Super Grover. Gotta love opposite Blogg screaming at everything unacceptable in a very Earl of Lemongrab type way.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Today's street story was pretty good. I liked Chris and Leela's song. The new Murray tune-ins were fun. The new AFFS was funny. As was the new Super Grover 2.O.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Drat, I missed the Flood Episode and the Super Maria episode. :frown:

However, I do think that I may get a second chance next week to see the Super Maria one, I don't know about the Flood episode. As they both sound like Classic Sesame Street episodes to me. :stick_out_tongue:

I mean Susan and Gordon had Big Bird in their apartment several times before and survived, I would have thought someone like Ernie and Bert would have been in a similar approach to the situation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... I'm going to start off by saying, I REALLY feel that even in a preschool show, that scene at the end of a preschool singing "Happy and you know it" was completely out of place for Sesame Street and more suited for Barney. It serves NO purpose at all, and just feels even more juvenile than Elmo's World ever would. I was never a huge fan of the filmed inserted kid films... but they at least manage to say something.

Of course, I barely could stand the first verse of it. Really... save this stuff for Barney.

The street story was alright... always nice to see Big Bird and Oscar in a story. But all in all like every science episode ever.

This is the first time I saw that Abby, missing it the first time. Clapper joke was kinda funny, I guess. Do they really need to do the "Where's Gonigan?" "He's Gone again." bit every time? They did it in maybe 2 episodes before this season, every single time this season.

I pretty much given up hope waiting for them to release the rest of the Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures on any episode. I REALLY wish they'd put the rest of them on DVD. I mean, it's like every 5 episodes you see one this season, and none of them are the ones they didn't use yet.

And the Sesame English letter of the day bits suck. There, I said it.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Today's street story was pretty good. I liked seeing Gabi. I have kind of a crush on her. The new Murray tune-ins were fun. But, SW, please put the other Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures that haven't been put on DVD yet get on DVD!

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay... I'm going to start off by saying, I REALLY feel that even in a preschool show, that scene at the end of a preschool singing "Happy and you know it" was completely out of place for Sesame Street and more suited for Barney.
I remember a segment from the '80s that had some kids singing it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think the point of the segment was to show sign language in action, as some of the kids were signing the lyrics. If anything bothered me about it, it's that the "before Elmo's World" insert these past few episodes have been a toon/film and not a good Muppet bit or song. I read that Frank had taped a second Mr. Johnson sketch, as well as a song and we've yet to see them and there's only 4 episodes left.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It really felt like it needed to explain that. If they had some kid narrating, explaining what sign language is, it would have had that extra punch... especially if the point they were coming across with that segment is that some people are impaired of one of their senses. That ties into the five senses plot line perfectly... but the tone and way it was handled, it felt like it could have been in any kid's show.

I agree... I'd like to see more Muppet segments given that spot between Super Grover/Bert and Ernie and EW. Muppets are the only reason this almost 30 year old even watches.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think the issue is that the street stories are a minute or two longer and the Word of the Day explanations are a minute longer, leaving less time at the end. That, and Super Grover is longer than B&E.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
It really felt like it needed to explain that. If they had some kid narrating, explaining what sign language is, it would have had that extra punch... especially if the point they were coming across with that segment is that some people are impaired of one of their senses. That ties into the five senses plot line perfectly... but the tone and way it was handled, it felt like it could have been in any kid's show.
Yeah. That would have been a good time to make a mention of Linda.

I agree... I'd like to see more Muppet segments given that spot between Super Grover/Bert and Ernie and EW. Muppets are the only reason this almost 30 year old even watches.
Same here. They have significant time to air more Muppet segments or even repeat classic segments (I'm still wondering if they'll ever bring back Henson's Ernie), but instead it's either Elmo or cartoons or whatever. They should either make more of an effort there or change around the format so there will be more time to air classic Muppet segments.

But I think they're doing a better job of incorporating classic Muppets into street scenes. It seems like Big Bird got more airtime this season than he did last season. I missed the flood ep with Bert and Ernie, but I'm assuming it was better than 'Bert's Pigeon Search' from last year. Lol.

I think the issue is that the street stories are a minute or two longer and the Word of the Day explanations are a minute longer, leaving less time at the end. That, and Super Grover is longer than B&E.
Yeah. I have noticed that yesterday's episode seemed to drag on a bit long before Elmo's World. I wondered what was up with that.