TMS fic: Growing Together

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bot of Slack:
"He said, "Well, if we do this, and if we get a boy, I'd like to name him James."

She looked up at him and clucked Why?

"'Cause whether he was hatched or not you'd be his mother, and that'd make him the son of a hen."

She groaned, then pecked him."

This is one of the best groaners I've heard in a long time.
:cluck:'s reaction was nice too.

Funny and energetic Al songs?
Why do I automatically forward to one of his polka medleys.

This whole chapter made you feel all right in all the right places. Thanks.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Ed, glad I made you groan. I hoped someone would get where I was heading with that. I can't be the first one who's thought of that gag, can I?

As for the song, well, I'm sure Al would love to play accordion with The Electric Mayhem, but the song I have in mind doesn't call for that. He might be able to sneak it in somehow, but it'd be kind off-message in a tribute song.

If anyone's curious, the name I inflicted on Dr. Teeth is a reference to Professor H.M. Wogglebug, T.E. from Baum's original Oz books. With that round body and head and those pipelike arms, Dr. Teeth always looked like a big beetle to me.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Finally played catch up and read the last couple chapters. Great stuff! Keep up the good work! :big_grin:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Get comfy, this is gonna be a longish one...

Growing Together
Part 9: Three on a Dare
by Kim McFarland

It was a late Saturday afternoon. Fozzie Bear had taken the bus to the Muppet Theater. Kermit has entrusted him with the task of coming up with a new final act for the show, and he thought he had a good idea, but he wasn't sure it would work. He wasn't sure anyone would like it. But he'd promised Kermit he'd come up with something, and he was a bear of his word. He had come to the theater because sitting in the audience or standing on the stage helped him picture what an act would look like.

When he went into the theater house some of the lights were already on. Someone had come in before him. That made him feel a little better; he didn't like being alone very much. The stage lights were on, and Scooter and Janken were on the stage. They had taken out a few hay bales from the jug band number and were sitting on them and talking. It didn't look like they were having a personal moment, so Fozzie walked onto the stage and said, "Hiya."

Janken looked over, and Scooter turned around and said, "Hi, Fozzie. What're you doing here so early?"

"I've got an act to work on for tonight's show. How about you?"

"I got studied out for the afternoon, so I'm helping Janken get used to the stage."

"Oh, stage fright, huh?" Fozzie said sympathetically. Janken nodded. "I get that too. It goes away when the act starts. Usually."

"I'm really new at this," Janken said sheepishly.

Fozzie sat down with them. "If it helps, I thought you did good last night. You didn't look scared to me."

Janken smiled. "Thanks. It does help."

Scooter asked Fozzie, "What kind of act are you working on?"

"Well, the song at the end last night seemed, kinda slow. I mentioned it to Kermit, and he asked me to pick out a better one and come up with an act."

Scooter and Janken exchanged glances. "You saw that too. Have you picked out a song?" Scooter asked.

"Yeah. Well, I think so. But I'm not sure how to write an act around it," Fozzie said hesitantly.

Fozzie had a CD case in his hand, Scooter noticed. He stood up and, beckoning them to follow him into the left wings, said, "C'mon, let's hear it."

The three went to Janken's console. It controlled the cameras, and could also send out audio and video. Fozzie handed the CD to Janken, who slid it into the tray. "It's the second song."

Janken clicked on the third track. The music began. It was fast-paced and goofy, and so were the lyrics. Scooter grinned after he heard the first few lines. He remembered the video for this one.

When the song finished Fozzie asked anxiously, "What do you think? Is it too silly?"

"Nah. I like it," Scooter said. "It's peppy, we can use just about everybody in the song, and I bet by the end we'll have the audience singing too. Let's do it."

"Oh, good! I'll talk to Kermit."

"Wait, first let's flesh it out some, give him something that's ready to put onstage," Scooter said.

"Okay."

"It'd help is we went through Wardrobe to find as much Devo-like stuff as we can, but let's save that for later. First let's write it up. Who gets which lines?"

Several hours later the rest of The Muppets arrived at the theater. Fozzie, Scooter, and Janken were sitting on the stage and laughing. Kermit the Frog walked out to them. "I was wondering where you were, Fozzie. What've you got for me?"

"Try this out for size, boss," Scooter said, and handed Kermit his pad.

Kermit read the title. It was not a song he remembered. Below it was the lyrics, with names added after the lines and other notes in between. Scooter said, "The costumes won't be hard. It's a Devo-style song, so we can just find Devo-like stuff in Wardrobe and go from there. No need to make anything new."

"No time, either," Kermit replied.

Scooter said to Fozzie, "Why don't you play the song for Kermit while I print this out?"

"Sure!"

Kermit, Fozzie, and Janken went to the camera console. Janken started the playback again. This time it came through the theater's sound system, so it sounded like ghosts were playing a concert. The other Muppets looked startled by the noise, which seemed to be coming from two lone bales of hay.

When the song finished Fozzie said, "Well? What do you think?" as confidently as he could manage.

Before Kermit could answer Scooter bustled up with a handful of copies of the act's script. He handed one to each of them. "Here we go. The biggest parts are for Al, The Electric Mayhem, and Fozzie. Al already knows the song, of course. The Electric Mayhem can play it; they're great at picking up new tunes fast. And the lead-in with Fozzie and Al is short, so it won't need much rehearsal, and if they go off script it won't matter as long as they get to the song cue. As for the rest of us, the parts are small, so we can learn it in no time flat."

Some of the other Muppets had come over, wondering what the fuss was about. Scooter saw them and handed around more copies, explaining that they were working on a new final act.

Miss Piggy looked at the pages that Scooter had offered her. Then she said, looking from Scooter to Kermit, "A new finale?"

For once Scooter didn't pipe up. Kermit said, "Er, yes. We were thinking of moving One More Minute to earlier in the show and ending with a different song. So we can finish with more of an, ah, bang."

"But if you add something, you will also have to cut something, won't vous?"

"Well, yeah, unless something falls through," Kermit conceded.

"I see." Miss Piggy looked at the pages again, then handed them back to Scooter. "Kermie, you may cut moi's song with Al. This once, moi will step aside for the good of the show."

Startled, Kermit said, "Are you sure, Piggy?"

"Of course, Kermie. I already have another part in the second act, and if you move One More Minute up I won't be able to change costumes and do my hair." She threw a smile at them. "Go on and have your fun. Ta ta!"

Kermit and Scooter exchanged surprised glances. They didn't have to say what they were both thinking: That went easier than expected. Scooter said, "So, Boss, what do you think?"

"I think you've presented me with a fait accompli," the frog answered.

Undeterred, Scooter asked, "So, do you like it?"

"Sure. Make copies for everyone in the act and tell them that rehearsal starts right after Weird Al gets here."

"Sure thing, chief!"

Wryly Kermit said, "Sometimes I wonder what keeps you from taking over the whole show."

Cheerfully Scooter replied, "I could never do that, boss! Your signature's too hard to imitate," and headed off for the copier.

Kermit, Fozzie, and Scooter were conferring at Kermit's desk when Weird Al Yankovic entered via the back door. Apparently nobody had given him new directions, Kermit thought. He said, "Hi, Al. I'm glad to see you. We've got something a little different in mind for tonight's show."

"Oh? What's the plan?" Al asked.

Kermit glanced at Scooter. Recognizing his cue, Scooter said, "We're going to swap the final act. One More Minute was good, but Fozzie's come up with something that's even better! Remember how you said you'd like to play with the Electric Mayhem?"

Kermit left them to it. He looked across the stage to backstage left. Janken was playing the song for the band. Thankfully, they could play a tune from memory, without benefit of sheet music. Possibly the only Muppet who used sheet music was Rowlf.

Gonzo was reading the new script pages. He looked preoccupied. Kermit went over to him and asked, "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing," Gonzo answered.

"You look like you've got something on your mind."

"Well, yeah, I do. But it's nothing to worry about. I'm good." Gonzo gave a small smile. "Oh—look what I have!" He held a plastic container out to Kermit.

Kermit took it, popped the top, and looked inside. "It's butter."

"Yes! Just what my act needed yesterday."

Kermit handed it back. "Good thinking," was all he could say.

He turned back to Al, Scooter, and Fozzie. From the look of it, Scooter had sold the act to Weird Al. Al was saying, "Then I guess I won't need to go back and get my accordion after all. Do you have goggles?"

Scooter replied, "You'd be amazed at what we have in Wardrobe."

"I guess so. Give me a minute and I'll be ready to rehearse."

"Sure thing," Scooter said as Al went up the stairs to his dressing room.

During the next ten minutes Scooter rushed around copies of the new act's script around to anyone who hadn't gotten one yet, various Muppets hunted around in Wardrobe for suitable costumes, and the Electric Mayhem played snatches of music. Then Kermit intercommed everybody to the stage for rehearsal. At first they just listened to the song. Then they ran through the act several times, working out the logistical problems that having so many people onstage would cause. Some lines were swapped between Muppets. Scooter made notes of all the changes on his script. After they had done one smooth run-through and everyone was satisfied, Scooter went off to enter the changes, print out new copies of the pages, and hand them out. By the time he tapped on Weird Al's dressing room door the first members of the audience had taken their seats.

Al said "Come in." Scooter did, and Al said, "Is that the last number?"

"Yep. I bet it's gonna be great!" Scooter said, handing it over.

"I sure hope so. Thanks."

"No problem. See ya in twenty-seven minutes!" Scooter darted back out.

When Weird Al came out of his dressing room twenty-six minutes later, the Muppets backstage were comparing costumes. Only a few came close to those worn in the video—hazmat suits, which they had on hand for Muppet Labs—but that was fine. They were going for an overall image, and having a wonderful time of it. As he watched Sweetums high-fived Bean Bunny, sending the rabbit flying across the area.

Scooter announced via the intercom, "The show's starting! Places, everyone!" The Muppets quickly put their costumes aside. In the orchestra pit, the theme began to play. Kermit caught Weird Al's eye and waved just before hopping up to the back of the logo.

Weird Al watched the opening theme from the wings. When Sweetums came backstage after posing in the arches, Al said, "Hey, I have an idea. Would you do me a favor?"

Surprised, Sweetums said, "Sure."

In front of the curtains, warmed by the spotlight, Kermit said, "Welcome once again to that which we call The Muppet Show! We have a fantastic show for you tonight. Tonight's guest is one we've wanted have as a guest for years, and tonight I can finally say, let’s give a big round of applause for Weird Al Yankovic! Yaaay!" He waved his arms, and the audience cheered.

Nobody joined Kermit onstage. When the applause died down Kermit said to the right wings, "Uh, Al?" No answer. "Has anybody seen Al?"

Sweetums lumbered onstage, carrying Weird Al over his shoulder. The monster said, "I caught him tryin' to sneak out the back way," and plopped him down on his feet next to Kermit. He dusted his hands off and walked back offstage.

Al, looking frightened, said, "Uh...hi."

"We're so glad that you've finally come to visit with us, Al. And we're even more glad that you've even written us a song."

"I have?"

Sweetums leaned out into the stage and glared at him. "Yeah, you have!"

"Oh. Uh... okay, I guess I have." A microphone stand rose from the orchestra pit. Weird Al caught it. The orchestra began to play the music to I Will Survive.

Kermit watched from the side. He hadn't expected that entrance with Sweetums. He had been concerned about the last-minute switch in acts; some guest stars didn't like such surprises. Weird Al, on the other hand, rolled with the punches and came up with some of his own.

When the song was finished Al bowed over and over. Just as the applause was thinning Sweetums walked back onstage, slung Al over his shoulder again, and carried him offstage, still blowing kisses to the audience. Once backstage Sweetums set him down again and went to help change the set for Gonzo's electroplating stunt. Kermit said, "That was great. When did you two plan that?"

"Right before we did it," he answered.

Scooter said, "'Scuse me, guys. Kermit, have you seen Bubba?"

"No. The rest of the jug band's in the canteen, but he didn't show up."

"I thought so. Thanks." He tapped the intercom on Kermit's desk. "Jan, Bubba's still a no-show. I need you to fill in again."

"Okay. I've got the vest and hat," Janken answered.

The show progressed normally, as much as that term applied. Gonzo again successfully bronzed his nose, and thanks to the butter he had brought he de-bronzed himself as soon as Gladys melted it for him. Most of the Muppets spent their time gearing up for the final number. Many of the costumes weren't exactlly Devo, but they certainly fit in with the stated theme of the song. Some came up with bits of business to add to the number. They weren't edited into the script; Scooter had too much to do to type them in, and it was more fun to just let it happen.

Janken played in the jug band while Scooter covered the cameras for him, then took his place back at the console. This time he grinned shakily at Scooter, and got a pat on the back before Scooter scurried off to backstage right. It was still scary onstage, but Janken could handle it. He only had to do it once more—unless he lucked out and Bubba finally turned up, which by now was very unlikely—and he was pleased with himself for facing up to it this time.

Intermission came and went, as did the second half of the show. When the curtain rose for the final number Fozzie and Weird Al were alone onstage behind a waist-high wall. They were both leaning over it as if to gossip. Fozzie said, "I'm glad we finally got a chance to talk. How do you like the show?"

Al replied, "It's great. This is the most fun I've had since yesterday."

"I wanted to ask, how do you write all those funny songs?"

Al replied, "Well, I choose songs people will recognize and write about things people know. You know, food, TV, junk E-mail, that kind of thing. Some of the ideas just pop into my head based on the titles. I don't usually take suggestions, but when Madonna came up with Like a Surgeon, well, how could I say no?"

"Yeah," Fozzie says, chin in one hand, eagerly listening.

Weird Al continued, "After I have the hook, what the song's about, I start writing lyrics. Take the joke and run with it, and get as silly as I can with it."

"Yeah, silly is good," Fozzie agreed.

"In fact, I say, don't stop with silly. Take it even further."

Surprised, Fozzie asked, "Further? How far?"

Al said reluctantly, "I... uh, Fozzie, I can't just say it."

"Why? Why not?" Fozzie asked.

"Because I can only tell you... in a song!"

On cue, the wall collapsed, and the Elerctric Mayhem's stand rose behind it. The band appeared in their places, and they began to play a manic tune. Al sang into a now-visible boom mike,
"Put down that chainsaw and listen to me,
It's time for us to join in the fight.
It's time to let your babies grow up to be cowboys.
It's time to let the bedbugs bite."

Gonzo and a flock of hens joined them onstage. Gonzo sang,
"You better put all your eggs in one basket!"

Camilla clucked,
You better count your chickens before they hatch!

Kermit came in from the other side and said,
"You better sell some wine before its time,"

Rowlf sang,
"You better find yourself an itch to scratch."

Fozzie, happily snapping his fingers in time with the music, sang,
"You better squeeze all the Charmin you can
When Mr. Whipple's not around!"

Beauregard wandered onstage with a mop over one shoulder.
"Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan."

Rizzo the Rat said,
"Talk with your mouth full."

Johnny Fiama and Sal made their entrance. Sal said,
"Bite the hand that feeds you."

Fiama shot him a glare and said,
"Bite off more than you can chew."

Weird Al said,
"What can you do?
Dare to be stupid!"

Dr. Strangepork sang,
"Take some wooden nickels."

Link followed with,
"Look for Mr. Goodbar."

Pepe countered,
"Get your mojo working now, okay."

Weird Al sang,
"I'll show you how
You can dare to be stupid!"

Janice sang,
"You can turn the other cheek."

Floyd sang,
"You can just give up the ship."

Miss Piggy appeared next to Kermit.
"You can eat a bunch of sushi, then forget to leave a tip."

Everyone sang together,
"Dare to be stupid!
Come on and dare to be stupid!
It's so easy to do, dare to be stupid!
We're all waiting for you—

Al said,
"Let's go!"

The Electric Mayhem were joined for the instrumental by Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphones. Lew Zealand tossed fish around. In their box, Statler and Waldorf watched, stunned. After a few moments Waldorf said, "I don't know what to say."

"They've taken away all of our ammo."

"Still, you have to admire their principles."

"What principle?" Statler asked.

"Truth in advertising."

They both laughed. Onstage, Sweetums sang,
"It's time to make a mountain out of a molehill.
So can I have a volunteer?"

Scooter sang,
"There's no more time for crying over spilled milk."

Clifford replied,
"Now it's time for crying in your beer."

They nodded to each other and made to leave the stage, but were blocked by Sam the Eagle, who admonsished them,
"Settle down, raise a family, join the P.T.A.,
Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet."

Crazy Harry cackled,
"Then party till you're broke and they drag you away!"

Al sang,
"It's okay! You can dare to be stupid!"

Lew Zealand sang,
"It's like spitting on a fish."

Rowlf sang,
"It's like barking up a tree."

Uncle Deadly appeared, startling those around him.
"It's like I said, you gotta buy one if you wanna get one free."

Everyone sang,
"Dare to be stupid!
Yes, Why don't you dare to be stupid!
It's so easy, so easy to do, why don’t you do it!
We're all waiting for you, dare to be stupid!"

Wayne sang, causing others to wince,
"Burn your candle at both ends,"

Wanda upped the ante with,
"Look a gift horse in the mouth."

The Swedish Chef added,
"Måshed pøtatœs kan bë yøeur frîënds."

Pops sang,
"You can be a coffee achiever."

Bobo the Bear sang,
"You can sit around the house
And watch Leave It To Beaver."

Al sang,
"The future's up to you,
So what you gonna do?
Dare to be stupid!
Dare to be stupid!"

Al started calling lines out, with all of the Muppets onstage responding.
"What did I say?
Dare to be stupid!
Tell me, what did I say?
Dare to be stupid!
It's all right,
Dare to be stupid!
We can be stupid all night!
Dare to be stupid!
Come on, join the crowd!
Dare to be stupid!
Shout it out loud!
Dare to be stupid!
I can't hear you.
Dare to be stupid!
Okay, I can hear you now.
Dare to be stupid!

Everyone repeated the last line. Janken, at his station, was singing along for the sheer silly joy of it. Up in the monitors, he saw that the audience had joined the call-and-response, and by now even Statler and Waldorf had given in and were singing along.

They were still singing when Kermit stepped up to the front of the stage and said, "And on that note, I'd like to thank our wonderfully wacky guest star, Weird Al Yankovic!"

Weird Al came forward and said, "Thanks, Kermit. I've had a blast being on your show."

"Oh, good, that's..." Kermit glanced back. Everyone was still repeating "Dare to be Stupid" with gusto. Kermit said, "I think the song's over now. You can stop."

"We don't know how," Beauregard replied desperately.

"Yeah, we're stuck!" Bean Bunny squeaked.

Kermit said, "Sheesh. We'll get this sorted out by next week's episode of The Muppet Show!"

In the canteen, Gladys heard the familiar theme song replace Dare to be Stupid. Moments later, the canteen was thronged with Muppets needing water to soothe sorely-taxed throats.

All characters except Janken and Weird Al Yankovic are copyright © The Muppets Studio, LLC. Dare to be Stupid is copyright © Weird Al Yankovic. and Weird Al Yankovic is, of course, copyright © himself. All copyrighted characters and people are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken is copyright © Kim McFarland negaduck9@aol.com), as is the overall story. Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, that was great. A wonderful song to have performed by Muppets, such a grand ensemble piece.
And the song just took over the ending, reminiscent of what happened with Turn The World Around from the Harry Belafonte episode.

Only problem now is, what to do with another hour-twenty until my Monday night appointment kicks in. :zany:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Glad you liked the grand finale. I didn't realize how long the song was when I chose it, and how much longer it would get on the page when I added in attributions and stage directions!

For anyone who's curious, here's the original song and video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

Slackbot

Reaction score
Growing Together
Part 10: What Do You Do In A Lunch Date At Ma Maison?
by Kim McFarland

It was late morning, and the weather was pleasant and otherwise unremarkable. Most of the Muppets were eating their breakfast, as they slept in late after doing their shows.

Scooter was waiting for Kermit. He was usually among the throng, but he hadn't come down yet. That was unusual, but not worrisome. Sometimes people just felt like sleeping a little longer. Scooter could wait. Tonight's show would be the third and last of the set, and the third show usually went smoothly, relatively speaking, as they had ironed out the worst of the bugs during the previous two.

When Kermit did come downstairs he was accompanied by Miss Piggy. She was wearing an informal, flattering burgundy blouse and a knee-length skirt that was slit up to mid-thigh on one side. And, of course, high heels and her signature arm-length gloves. Her hair fell in waves around her shoulders and swooshed impressively when she turned her head. Scooter guessed that she and Kermit had plans. They couldn't be too fancy, because Kermit was wearing his usual outfit: nothing.

Scooter considered intercepting them before they made it to the front door, but decided against it. He didn't really have anything to tell Kermit except that he was going to be out for the afternoon again, and it was standard operating procedure to call his cell if he wasn't in shouting distance. And if Piggy had her way, Kermit would not be calling anyone about the show while he was with her.

The cab that Piggy had called was waiting in front of the house. She let Kermit open the door for her, and said as she got in, "Take us to Ma Maison, s'il vous plâit."

"You mean Ma Maison on Cheshire Bridge?" the driver drawled.

"Yeah. That."

In their room, Gonzo and Camilla were enjoying the start of what promised to be a lazy day while Billie decorated a coloring book. Everyone was startled when one of the children's books on the floor spoke. "Hi, Gonzo?"

"Brian? I didn't know you can speak through books too." Billie scooted over to the book and watched, wide-eyed.

"I use whatever's on hand," Brian replied. I just wanted to let you know I'll be there tomorrow. Mind if I drop by?"

"Sure, that's okay. We'll be at the theater most of the day."

"I'll see you there, then. Uh... have you given any thought to what we talked about?"

Gonzo and Camilla glanced at each other. Gonzo said, "Yeah. We haven't decided yet, though."

"That's all right. But I'll need to know while I'm here so we can get the samples. See you then."

"See ya."

The book stopped talking. Billie looked at her parents. "Book not talk?" she asked, disappointed.

It's done talking, Camilla answered.

Billie looked at the book for a moment. Then she picked it up and began opening and closing it like a puppet's mouth while saying, "Bla bla bla bla!"

The cab let Kermit and Piggy out at Ma Maison. It was a nice restaurant, not as posh as some that Miss Piggy favored, but Kermit was willing to bet that if there were any flies on the premises, they wore jackets and ties. Miss Piggy stepped up to the Maitre d' and sang, "Hello, Jean-Luc! We'll have my usual table."

He consulted the reservation list, found Miss Piggy, party of two, and guided them to a table. Kermit reached for a menu. Piggy said, "Kermie, let me order for us."

"I'd like to see what they serve," Kermit said.

"Oh, it's the usual stuff," she told him. She looked around, flashing a bright smile for anyone who happened to be looking.

They chatted for a while about the show, about movies and theatrical shows they wanted to see, about anything that occurred to them. Miss Piggy ordered "deux plaque bleue spéciales, with extra avec." The conversation was pleasant and relaxed, more like two good friends talking rather than a pig pursuing a frog. Sometimes she put him on the defensive, but at times like this he enjoyed being with her.

After a while, however, she became antsy. Kermit asked, "Something wrong, Piggy?"

She turned back to him—she had been glancing around the restaurant—and said, "No, nothing at all. Please excuse moi, Kermie. I must go powder my nose."

She grabbed her purse and hurried off. No wonder she looked uncomfortable, Kermit thought.

She stepped into the ladies' lounge, took out her cell phone, and pressed several buttons with her thumb. She tapped her foot impatiently as it rang. When the line picked up she said, "Bernie, what gives?"

Kermit waited. He knew that Miss Piggy might be awhile. When Piggy was freshening her makeup, she didn't rush. He got up and went to wash his hands before the food arrived.

When he walked past the ladies' lounge he heard Miss Piggy's voice. "How hard is it to just get someone here to take a few cell phone pictures and leak 'em on Facebook and Tweeter?" Pause. "Mama-san's? I told you Ma Maison!"

Kermit scowled. He considered several courses of action. When he made his decision, he went to wash his hands.

Miss Piggy lowered her voice. "No, I don't want you to send someone here now. The idea was to leak a few pictures of me and Kermit on a nice little date, not stuffing our faces. Just have 'em at the movie theater. You do remember which one, right?" Pause. "Right. Talk to you later." She ended the call and dropped the phone in her purse.

When Piggy returned to the table Kermit gave her a strange look. She sat down and said, "Is something the matter, Kermie?"

"I overheard the phone call," he said quietly.

"Oh..."

In a calm, reasonable tone he said, "I thought you wanted to be with me. But it's just for publicity."

"No, Kermie! I do want to be with you!" she insisted.

"Just you, me, and your photographers," he continued in a low voice. "Well, you win. I don't want to make a scene and ruin everyone else's lunch, and I really don't want to see photos of it everywhere afterward."

Normally when he was angry with her he blew his stack. She would have preferred him to have a yelling fit. She knew how to deal with those: just wait until he ran out of steam, then continue as if nothing had happened. His quiet accusation, and, even worse, his disappointment hurt more than anything he had ever said in a fit of temper. Softly she said, "We could just leave."

"No. The food's coming," he told her. "We're going to have lunch like a happy couple."

Talking to the tablecloth, she said, "How are we supposed to do that?"

"Do what I'm going to do. Act."

During the meal Miss Piggy tried to tell Kermit that no photographer was coming, and the publicity had been an afterthought, but he acted as if he didn't hear her. He was bright and cheerful and smiled to those who were looking at the famous frog and pig in their midst. He seemed to be having a good time, but his smile never touched his eyes.

Miss Piggy hardly spoke except to answer some scripted-sounding remark with an overly cheerful reply. She could fake happiness. However, to Kermit her voice sounded brittle. She wasn't angry. She genuinely felt bad. By the end of the meal Kermit had calmed down, and asked Piggy what she wanted for dessert. She declined, claiming not to be hungry. Kermit thought, she must really feel terrible. He paid the bill, because there were some constants in the world, and Miss Piggy called for the cab to pick them up early.

They sat on a bench outside the restaurant. It would be a few minutes until the cab arrived. Piggy said softly, "I'm sorry."

Kermit looked at her for a moment. She meant it. He said, "I guess we can still go see the movie."

She admitted, "I told Bernie about that too."

"We can go someplace else, then."

"All right."

They went back home. Miss Piggy went upstairs to change while Kermit looked through the newspaper theater listings. Gonzo, who happened to be hanging around, asked, "Gonna go see a movie? Which one?"

"I don't know. I'm looking to see what's playing."

"You're going with Miss Piggy, right?"

"Yeah."

Something seemed amiss, but Gonzo wasn't about to pry. It would open up a can of worms, and not the kind that frogs liked. He said, "What kind of movie?"

"I don't know. Something different. Something that'll take our minds off everything," Kermit answered.

Gonzo grinned suddenly. "How about a show? I know one that's perfect for that."

"When's it playing?"

Gonzo glanced at the clock. "In an hour. Camilla and I saw it when it opened last week. It's a musical comedy that's been touring. We loved it, but we wouldn't bring Billie, heh heh. Want me to snag you some tickets?"

"Sure, thanks," Kermit said. "Right now I could use some comedy."

Gonzo got on the phone. Piggy came down the stairs, now wearing a simple sweater and designer jeans. Her makeup had been dialed down several degrees. When she wasn't busy being gorgeous, Kermit thought, she really did look nice. She asked, "Have you picked a movie?"

"Actually, we're going to see a show-"

"Oh! Just let me change-"

She turned to rush back up the stairs. Kermit said, "No, no, what you have on is fine. Um, really good, in fact."

Surprised by the unsolicited compliment, she said, "Why, thank you, Kermie."

"The show starts in an hour. Call for the cab."

"Okay!"

She got out her cell phone again. Gonzo set down the phone and told Kermit, "It's all set. There'll be two at Will Call at the Nualto in your name."

"Thanks, Gonzo. How much are they?"

"Freebies." He grinned. "The sponsor's an old friend, so I can get comp tickets to the afternoon shows. Have fun!"

When Kermit and Piggy got to the theater they saw that the production was Street Z. Miss Piggy said, "Oh, I heard about this in the trades!"

"What's it about?" Kermit asked.

"I don't know, but it won Best Musical."

Kermit got the tickets, and they went to their seats. Reading his program, Kermit saw that the sponsor was the TMI. Ah, now it made sense; that organization had rescued Gonzo from homelessness years ago, and recently he had been helping them with publicity. The program contained a prominent blurb about the mission of the TMI. Hopefully, Kermit thought, people would read and remember it.

The musical started. At first it was amusing, but quickly took a strange turn. Initially Kermit was startled, and wasn't sure how to react. But after the initial shock he began to enjoy its affectionately subversive humor. Soon he was laughing along with the rest of the audience, and so was Miss Piggy.

After the show was over Kermit said, "I had no idea the show was anything like that. But I liked it."

"I suppose that after today we needed a laugh, didn't we?" Miss Piggy replied.

Kermit nodded agreement. "We've got some time before we have to go to the theater. How about dessert?"

"I just happen to know a nice little place near here."

"Let's go, then."

Miss Piggy's hand clasped his as they walked along the sidewalk among others who had seen the same show. She said, "I'm sorry about the photographer. I only wanted to give others a little peep into our happiness. That's all."

He replied, "Piggy, you can have all the publicity you want. But I don't want to be posing for cameras all the time. Some things should be private."

"You want me to yourself?" she asked.

"When we're going out, just the two of us, yeah."

She put an arm around his shoulders and drew him close, sighing, "Oh, Kermie."

All characters are copyright © The Muppets Studio, LLC. All copyrighted characters and people are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, that's a right nice chapter. It's got the touch of frog and pig that I kind of personally lean more towards. Romance between those two? Sure. I support that. But I like when they show it more genuinely like in this chapter, in Aunt Ru's KG, and Lisa's Cup.

Thanks for posting. :dreamy:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The book stopped talking. Billie looked at her parents. "Book not talk?" she asked, disappointed.

It's done talking, Camilla answered.

Billie looked at the book for a moment. Then she picked it up and began opening and closing it like a puppet's mouth while saying, "Bla bla bla bla!"
Little kids are so cute, especially when they are imitating space aliens communicating through children's books.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Any chance Street Z is a reference to Avenue Q? :big_grin: