The Muppets is now the top-grossing Muppet movie

goldenstate5

Reaction score
February? I'm not entirely certain since BOM doesn't release all international dates prior anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If by sheer will, amazement and tenacity it just makes 5 million more, it will just slightly edge out Great Muppet Caper. I'm not sure that would happen, but then again, I was sure this wasn't even going to make it to 75 mil.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hmm. The local AMC had been running it twice a day, but as of this week it's back to showing all day. Hope that means they're selling more tickets. I would be re-seeing it right now, in fact, if Atlanta's public transportation was even slightly reliable and buses that only run once an hour didn't no-show. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmm. The local AMC had been running it twice a day, but as of this week it's back to showing all day. Hope that means they're selling more tickets. I would be re-seeing it right now, in fact, if Atlanta's public transportation was even slightly reliable and buses that only run once an hour didn't no-show. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.
There must've been a bump in showings for Christmas vacation, maybe a couple bumps in theaters after Arthur Christmas left some of the theaters. It took me until February to see MCC when it first came out, sure... but who wants to see a Christmas movie after Christmas?

Seriously, the past couple weeks have been surprisingly kind to the film... it looked like it wouldn't get much further than the upper 60's, and now we're like 83 Mil.

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, it's currently at 84. i was looking back to see what Enchanted did at this point in its run, and it actually made about 7-8 million more before it was pulled from theaters in march

that might be too much to ask from muppets i suppose, but who knows? most of that would have to come from weekends, because as expected, the dailies have pretty much collapsed. it's only doing 200,000 or less now per weekday. but we'll have to see what it does on weekends from now on. if it could make a million per weekend for a while it may pull off surpassing GMC

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Probably a fluke. The movie was dropped out of over 300 theaters this weekend.

It took me until February to see MCC when it first came out, sure... but who wants to see a Christmas movie after Christmas?
To be fair, that was the early 90's, and movies stayed in theaters much longer than they do today. Nowadays it's all very frontloaded and the idea of "legs" has been lessened.

that might be too much to ask from muppets i suppose, but who knows? most of that would have to come from weekends, because as expected, the dailies have pretty much collapsed. it's only doing 200,000 or less now per weekday. but we'll have to see what it does on weekends from now on. if it could make a million per weekend for a while it may pull off surpassing GMC
It's certainly possible but I wouldn't count on it. Thankfully Disney has nothing right now to replace it with, but the movie is barely going to make a million this weekend. I'm just unsure if it can sustain itself to get to 90 mil. 86 million is probably more likely.

zoebell

Reaction score
well, it just made 1.2 million over the weekend, so now it's at 85. it could hang around, if it it continues to squeak out million dollar weekends. i'm positive it's going to get at least two oscar nominations for song, so it may do all right for the rest of its run

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it's done as well as its going to do here. Shame it didn't get that much closer to GMC... it's only about 4 mil behind it... not a lot. Hopefully it can squeeze a little more out of second run theaters by the time it completely disappears.​

zoebell

Reaction score
i think it may be able to. it's still got the rest of the month and february, and if it pulls out a million per weekend for just a few more weeks it could happen. i think this weekend was some evidence that it could because even though its weekdays collapsed, the weekend still turned out a million. so that's decent

goldenstate5

Reaction score
Yeah, but the movie is going to lose more and more theaters as the weekends go on, and believe it or not, but new movies do come out during January, which will start to eliminate these one million dollar weekends pretty quickly. Expect maybe one more.