Sesame Street Breastfeeding Controversy

Borples

Reaction score
What exactly do kids need to learn? It's been my experience that children don't tend to have questions about breastfeeding, they just accept it. Unlike adults whose views have been skewed, children already see it as a natural thing. I don't think the point of having breastfeeding on Sesame Street is for the kids, it's really about making breastfeeding a more acceptable practice in our society.
Actually, it would be helpful. Kids are curious. If they don't have younger siblings nursing at home, they don't understand the process at all. Last year, at a big family gathering in a small house, I was breastfeeding my youngest in the upstairs area where the little kids were playing. It was the most privacy I could find. :smile: A little guy, five years old, wanted to know what I was doing. I said I was feeding the baby. He looked at me, kind of confused, and asked if I was feeding her with my shirt. I wasn't quite up to explaining breastfeeding to somebody else's little boy right then, so I chickened out and basically said, "Oh hey! Is that a Power Ranger over there?" I think it would be nice if Sesame Street brought it up. It wouldn't have to be graphic or detailed--just something like the two clips in the article. It might make some grownups feel awkward--like Mr. "It is gross" quoted in the article. But it woudn't bother the kids and it might answer some of their questions.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A little guy, five years old, wanted to know what I was doing. I said I was feeding the baby. He looked at me, kind of confused, and asked if I was feeding her with my shirt. I wasn't quite up to explaining breastfeeding to somebody else's little boy right then, so I chickened out and basically said, "Oh hey! Is that a Power Ranger over there?" I think it would be nice if Sesame Street brought it up. It wouldn't have to be graphic or detailed--just something like the two clips in the article.
Exactly. :smile:

It might make some grownups feel awkward--like Mr. "It is gross" quoted in the article. But it woudn't bother the kids and it might answer some of their questions.
That "gross" comment makes me wonder if it's really the children that need the education, heh. :wink:

Pepe'sgal90

Reaction score
You can't limit kid's programming just because "they won't understand." You might as well not educate children at all if that's the case. They don't need to understand every little detail, the point is they're learning in their own way and being exposed to new things.

When I was 3 years old I was watching Pirates of Penzance! Did I get everything that was going on? No obviously not. But I loved it! And I grew up with a love of art and not just the flavor of the moment teeny bopper nonesense.

And I'm also thinking of the Katy Perry situation. She was banned from Sesame Street was supposedly showing too much cleavage. So right then we've taught kids that showing breasts is evil. That is why so many people get so annoyed about breast feeding in public, because we've learned to associate the image purely with pop culture sex. Which again, shows that adults are the immature ones, not the children.
completely agree, children learn the most at a younger age and remember more of it even if they don't understand.

Something for parents would be the better place for education about it. Kids usually either completely don't understand things or completely accept them.
Some Parents now are normally making tv a babysitter and not sitting and talking with their kids. Also society has such a bad reputation about the whole subject that parents shy away from it and talking to their kids about it. And yes they may not all completely accept or understand it but most will know the prime lesson of it is for nutritional purposes. :smile:

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
And I'm also thinking of the Katy Perry situation. She was banned from Sesame Street for supposedly showing too much cleavage. So right then we've taught kids that showing breasts is evil. That is why so many people get so annoyed about breast feeding in public, because we've learned to associate the image purely with pop culture sex. Which again, shows that adults are the immature ones, not the children.
*bold was mine

I don't think kids were paying any particular attention to the Katy Perry situation, so I don't believe they were taught anything by her not being on the show. But that's an entirely different topic.

That "gross" comment makes me wonder if it's really the children that need the education, heh. :wink:
That's my point. I'm not saying that Sesame Street should avoid or ban breast feeding scenes. Or that showing a mom breastfeeding would be wasted on little kids. I wish they would show the old original Raposo "You're My Baby".

Kids might ask if they see someone breastfeeding for the first time but generally that's all they want to know. Simple honest answers will generally appease a child and as a previous poster's example, go off and play with Power Rangers. The human body is just a natural thing to them. Unlike adults it's not twisted around a sexual undertone that society and the general media push at us. It's just that a children's show is the wrong audience for a pro-breastfeeding movement. It's the adults that say it's "gross" or whatever that need to be educated. That being said, I would be thrilled if I saw a breastfeeding mom on Sesame Street. I'm just not on the side of, "Sesame Street needs to show it so kids will know what it is." Educating adults - more specifically moms about the benefits of breastfeeding - and the rights of breastfeeding in public is where these efforts should be focused on. Sesame Street is not going to turn an entire society to be more tolerant to breastfeeding moms.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You can't limit kid's programming just because "they won't understand." You might as well not educate children at all if that's the case. They don't need to understand every little detail, the point is they're learning in their own way and being exposed to new things.
It shouldn't, but...

The problem I see is all about initiatives. When they force one concept about all others, and reading and math concepts take a backseat to everything else. Sesame used to be a well rounded show, now it ironically teaches more complex ideals than it did in the past, and more frequently. And like I said before, you have Elmo going on the last 15 minutes about noses... it's like.. pick one lane! Either young kids can grasp complex scientific/biologic concepts OR they need to be re-educated in simplistic things slowly.

It doesn't mesh right is my concern. A little Birdy tells me EW is about to go the way of JTE next season, though only a shred of evidence in an interview backs that up.

I do indeed think Sesame should teach semi-complex concepts slowly to kids, and I desperately want it to go back to being an ages 3-5 (maybe 6) show... but EW makes it feel like something parents watch with toddlers who just learned to speak.

As for the breastfeeding thing, I have no problem with them referencing it on the show, but there are 4 things I realized that get in the way

1. The reason why it was mentioned back in the 70's with Buffy is because it would come up organically. That's the nature of the show back then. We had the luxury of a curious Big Bird going around asking what adults were doing in organic situations. Now a game show host pops up and tells Elmo and Abby to look for 5 fruits or amphibious animals. The Super Maria and Flood episodes this season were as close to classic street stories as it's going to get, but we're not going to have any Muppets ask grown ups what they're doing unless it ties in with the curriculum based plot.
  2. I've noticed that they're dealing more with growing up. Breastfeeding could work in the context of "that's what mommy used to do for you." But they're all about letting go of pacifiers and inappropriate toys now. Actually, they were like that for some time.
  3. Most importantly, for this to even be explored as an option, we'd need a new human adult character that already has a baby of their own. We have younger single males and couples old enough to be grandparents, but with children too young to be mothers/fathers themselves... and Gina adopted and her little Marco's past that age anyway...
  4. I'd HATE to see the movie/TV show/song parody they'd use to discuss it. :sigh:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's just that a children's show is the wrong audience for a pro-breastfeeding movement. It's the adults that say it's "gross" or whatever that need to be educated.
But I would argue that that adult was once a child who clearly got the wrong message early in life. And frankly it's hard to mature an immature adult. Almost impossible in fact! Sometimes you do have to start early.

Drtooth

Reaction score
OK does anyone else find that prospect hilarious? LOL
Don't laugh! It's the only way they can address anything anymore. :news:

Seriously... we need a new human adult female character for this to happen anyway. The prospect of using Muppet characters to talk about Breastfeeding... there's something off about that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Seriously... we need a new human adult female character for this to happen anyway. The prospect of using Muppet characters to talk about Breastfeeding... there's something off about that.
Well wait, if Muppet characters can be gay, then I think they should be able to talk about breastfeeding. :wink:

But anyway, maybe they could redesign one of the older songs. Like "I've Got a New Way to Eat" or something. Lol jk. ;D