Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 42

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the issue is that the street stories are a minute or two longer and the Word of the Day explanations are a minute longer, leaving less time at the end. That, and Super Grover is longer than B&E.
Especially when they have longer form Murray experiments segments. That's very time consuming. Still, it really feels like they think they have to make the Muppet segments long form 2-3 minute parody skits, instead of 30 seconds to a minute long blackouts. A short gag with Cookie Monster or Grover or someone would work wonderfully. Wasn't there some old 1970's Muppet/Kid conversation that was like 20 second long that left Grover (or whoever) speechless after the kid said one thing and it just ended there?

Also, I know I say this a lot, and I just mentioned it... but really... the Sesame English Letter of the Day segments are completely awful. It's a way to get Cookie Monster into the show more, but it's just terribly repetitive. And they use it way too often.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm hoping the supposed new Elmo segment debuting next season will be shorter than EW (there will definitely be a small number of them, though) and allow some more room for more inserts.

But yeah, Muppet/kid bits with Grover are a great way to get some more Muppet material in the show. I'm still wondering what the "Monster at the End of This Show" footage we saw will be for.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm hoping the supposed new Elmo segment debuting next season will be shorter than EW (there will definitely be a small number of them, though) and allow some more room for more inserts.
Is that really going to happen? I haven't heard anything like that come up. I really hope it's true, because EW is just... it's just there at the end of the show, sitting on 15 minutes. Not even a new segment since season 40, and it was only the one then.

They really fowled up when they experimented taking the segment out of the show by not using episodes where Elmo had a higher presence. Still... I think they could make an "Elmo Time" segment with all the existing Elmo and celebrity segments they have over the past 15 years.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Is that really going to happen? I haven't heard anything like that come up. I really hope it's true, because EW is just... it's just there at the end of the show, sitting on 15 minutes. Not even a new segment since season 40, and it was only the one then.
Kevin said in TP interview they're trying something new next season and will involve "singing and dancing."

cahuenga

Reaction score
Please please please can someone put the Flood and super Maria episodes on youtube????? I would love see those episodes!!!!! thanks!!!!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Today's street story was pretty good. It involed Big Bird, which is always good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's always nice to see the main story focus on Big Bird, even if today's opening story was a bit short. Like how they managed to have the same puppeteers play the pineapple and cactus in the word of the day after the street story. Why does NOTHING connect to the street story anymore?

The only other major highlight was seeing an Ernie and Bert segment, an old one, but at least we're still seeing them. It's like, is that so hard just to show an old Ernie and Bert segment instead of just weird cartoons or flat live action kid films? Seemed like that apple thing at the end was added on because they had extra time left, though. it had no reason to be there.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I've been complaining about how they've been lacking in more non-Murray-SG-Abby Muppet material this season, but yeah, at least today they played an E&B sketch (not seen since season 37 mind you). I did enjoy the Heavy Weight cartoon though; it was like something you'd see in the old days.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I did enjoy the Heavy Weight cartoon though; it was like something you'd see in the old days.
Yeah. I liked it. The pacing seemed a little long, but it was a nice little cartoon. That's what I'm loving about these newer episodes. The independently animated little bits. They were lacking those for so long.