The Muppets 2011 DVD details

Drtooth

Reaction score
All the complaining in the world isn't going to change the Techno- Sneetch culture who thumb their stars upon thars up everyone else's noses. It's all about how fast and how high def things are.

I'm going to have to break down and buy a disk I can't watch in hopes that some day I'll be able to watch it. And all this does is turn off those who don't have Blu and will now not buy the DVD. And that's going to be a big hit to the Muppets when they need to sell even more copies than movie tickets to continue to dominate. This hurts the lower end fans AND the franchise, all while supporting a minority of Techno-Sneetches who actually care to see something in higher quality.

I really wish Disney was above this, and just could at least put half the features on the standard copy. Like I said, who wouldn't want to see more movie? To hold that footage hostage to sell higher end gadgetry is a weaselly thing to do. I'm glad SOPA didn't pass. For all this politicking and pandering every entertainment studio deserves to lose money.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'd like to know why companies are too dense to realize that instead of encouraging people to buy the more expensive option, like they seem to believe, it just turns people off from buying it all together. And yet they wonder why they lose money :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd like to know why companies are too dense to realize that instead of encouraging people to buy the more expensive option, like they seem to believe, it just turns people off from buying it all together. And yet they wonder why they lose money :smirk:
Anything I could tell you would be conspiracy theory... but my guess is this...

The general public probably doesn't buy that many Blu-Rays. When Borders was going under, the Blu-Ray DVD's were on clearance at a higher rate than regular DVDs, and yet they managed to move slower than the regular DVD's. That is circumstantial evidence, and I don't see it proven in any other way... but what I can safely hypothesize is that many families are just fine with their standard DVD players and regular TV's. Many of them just don't want or can't afford the huge new system to watch the same movies and TV shows in just a higher quality (which you can't notice unless you have an expensive television). Given the fact it's also a new, expensive technology, it's going to take years for that mainstream jump... and once everyone's on board, the digital download will be king, and most of these families will be stuck with 80 dollar paperweights.

This leads me to believe the only reason why studios are focusing on Blu-Ray (this is ONLY piecing together shreds of evidence) because they sunk so much of an investment on the premium format. So, they're trying to force people onto the new system by withholding special features as Blu exclusives.

Also, let's add in the Netflix and Red Box factor. Because DVD's are being made so cheaply and hastily as a result, the money for DVD's is now in rentals. So now, they basically toss out crummy copies for Red Box and Netflix, and inadvertently screwing the consumer who actually wants to own DVD's. Even though, they spent money making the special features anyway, and the only money saved would have been backward conversion to a lower quality (which shouldn't cost all that much if anything).

So it's basically consumer bullying. It's losing them a LOT of money... new titles are quickly thrown into the bargain bin in a matter of months as a result (except Disney that is). In short, it benefits no one except those who want the latest gadgets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, it doesn't cost THAT much to buy a blu-ray player these days...
Yes, but it's also needing a high quality TV system with a high quality sound system for it to make a difference. That's all about choice. If people want to make every movie they watch an "experience," fine. I HAD my experience... I went to an actual theater and had an audience reaction. That's worth all the 780dpi pixles in the world.

Plus, I'm happy enough with my standard player. Why would I need to switch a player I got just last year to replace one that I had for 6 that just stopped working because of some bells and whistles that only work if I have a couple thousand dollars worth of home entertainment system? I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Again, this isn't "DUDE! Like totally go out and get a Blu-Ray." This is all about withholding special features to force people on a premium system that's going to be obsolete in a few year anyway. A sneaky, and underhanded tactic that robs half the Muppet fans of what they were excited for. I, like many others, don't want to have to go out and buy a 100 dollar new player to watch the deleted scenes that should come with EVERY copy, regular or collectors edition.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Yes, but it's also needing a high quality TV system with a high quality sound system for it to make a difference. That's all about choice. If people want to make every movie they watch an "experience," fine. I HAD my experience... I went to an actual theater and had an audience reaction. That's worth all the 780dpi pixles in the world.
Um... yeah, not trying to rude here but you don't need a HDTV for a Blu-ray player. It will play A-OK on a standard definition television and some Blu-ray players come with sound speakers in order to help it reach it's full potential. I know my dad won a Blu-ray player in a radio contest and he hooked it up to a 12-year old big-screen standard TV and it works great. Just throwing it out there.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Um... yeah, not trying to rude here but you don't need a HDTV for a Blu-ray player. It will play A-OK on a standard definition television and some Blu-ray players come with sound speakers in order to help it reach it's full potential. I know my dad won a Blu-ray player in a radio contest and he hooked it up to a 12-year old big-screen standard TV and it works great. Just throwing it out there.
Do they sell portable Blu-Ray players?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The point is not that it doesnt work. It is that you NEED a Hi Def TV for you to actually see the hi def. A Blu ray will look like standard def if displayed on a standard def tv. Therefore, you are essentially paying more for a viewing experience that would be equal to a standard def dvd.

why the **** are we still arguing about bleeping blu ray players anyway?