Anyone Find The Lack Of Muppet Merch Disturbing?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney has actually been doing the Muppets justice in the past few months. There's actually more stuff in the US than is being reported. The Disney store has lots of Muppet plushes including a commercially available Pepe and Walter. There are also houseware and electronics items at various top retailers. We didn't get a windfall or action figures. That's the gripe.
Unless there's going to be a big reveal when the movie comes out, and trust me, I'm still holding out hope for that, I'm going to change my in the middle opinion. Disney has made some big promotions with retailers in the UK and I'll say Germany (that's where those puppets come from, right?), while other than Disney Store plush there was hardly anything. And the thing is, people WERE asking for it. I wish Kohls had a deal with Disney for that 5 dollar charity plush instead of those Eric Carle ones that just don't seem to be selling (when they had Toy Story 3, they disappeared in a week with no restock) at the very least...

Now I know they've been playing it cautious in a very volatile market place (one packed with unwanted and unsellable Arthur Christmas figures), and the retailers are just as much, if not more to blame... but other than some lame chotchkis like off brand Snuggies and feetie pajamas there really wasn't all that much around movie time to be excited about. And I'm thinking that extra push could have equaled a better box office gross from exposure alone. They did a great job on the internet, no question... and television 2 weeks up until the film came out.

I'm glad some small things are starting to pop up like Valentines and Bandaids... I severely doubt we'd ever get an action figure line ever again. And I get it's some sort of moral sin to Disney to do fast food promotions (though sugary fruit snacks, sugary drinks, and sugary breakfast cereals NO problem... too bad the Muppets don't have any of them yet). And above all, I understand they're going for the life long brand... but what the early sell out of Disney store plush merchandise proves is that Disney was worried about nothing. Once the DVD comes out, I expect flood gates of Muppet stuff to open up... but if it's going to be one of those things that Disney feels Europe appreciates more (like the Duck family), they're the only ones that will get anything.

As ugly as some of them were, a lot of us felt left out when Europe got the 25th anniversary plush kids meal, and all the US got was another uninspired Barbie/Hot Wheels promotion.

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
Those are some excellent posters. There's %15 off today's orders, too.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Unless there's going to be a big reveal when the movie comes out, and trust me, I'm still holding out hope for that, I'm going to change my in the middle opinion. Disney has made some big promotions with retailers in the UK and I'll say Germany (that's where those puppets come from, right?), while other than Disney Store plush there was hardly anything. And the thing is, people WERE asking for it. I wish Kohls had a deal with Disney for that 5 dollar charity plush instead of those Eric Carle ones that just don't seem to be selling (when they had Toy Story 3, they disappeared in a week with no restock) at the very least...

Now I know they've been playing it cautious in a very volatile market place (one packed with unwanted and unsellable Arthur Christmas figures), and the retailers are just as much, if not more to blame... but other than some lame chotchkis like off brand Snuggies and feetie pajamas there really wasn't all that much around movie time to be excited about. And I'm thinking that extra push could have equaled a better box office gross from exposure alone. They did a great job on the internet, no question... and television 2 weeks up until the film came out.

I'm glad some small things are starting to pop up like Valentines and Bandaids... I severely doubt we'd ever get an action figure line ever again. And I get it's some sort of moral sin to Disney to do fast food promotions (though sugary fruit snacks, sugary drinks, and sugary breakfast cereals NO problem... too bad the Muppets don't have any of them yet). And above all, I understand they're going for the life long brand... but what the early sell out of Disney store plush merchandise proves is that Disney was worried about nothing. Once the DVD comes out, I expect flood gates of Muppet stuff to open up... but if it's going to be one of those things that Disney feels Europe appreciates more (like the Duck family), they're the only ones that will get anything.

As ugly as some of them were, a lot of us felt left out when Europe got the 25th anniversary plush kids meal, and all the US got was another uninspired Barbie/Hot Wheels promotion.
I think it's safe to say that there's not likely going to be a flood of merchandise, or at least not enough of one to satisfy rabid fans like you and me, but there will definitely be more stuff coming in March. I'll finally gripe if they bungle that opportunity to put a little more merch on the market.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll finally gripe if they bungle that opportunity to put a little more merch on the market.
If they do that... yes. Though, it IS disappointing that Europe gets these big retailer promotions and all we got are a couple UL PSA's... I hope by the end of the year we get at least a quarter of what Cars has... I think that's the ideal amount, right there. I don't expect huge great things, but at LEAST give us party supplies, metal popcorn buckets, fruit snacks and stuff like that. And I hope next year to see more general release Christmas items like cheaper plastic ornaments and stockings and stuff like that. That's where I think they bungled it the most.

Still, the hint of what's coming in March does give me hope.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Wow! I need to get some of those posters! The only thing is I have no wall space.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Muppet merch is getting better and better.
Yes it is!!! :smile:

I wonder if the DVD's got new features on them.
In the UK (and I'm guessing internationally) the rerelease of MTI and TGMC have the same bonus features as the last release of them. I haven't seen the rereleases of the other Muppets films, but I'm guessing it's the same with them too.

I half hoping that the rerelease of The Muppet Show season 1 is a complete version, but it's unlikely.

beaker

Reaction score
You guys ain't gonna like this but Muppets are getting pretty hyped up here. We can now buy Muppets plates, cups, slippers, bags, pyamas, casings and bowls at one of the biggest super market franchises here, the one that also holds the earlier mentioned hand puppet promotion. I got the Kermit hand puppet which I'll make some pics and a video of this week.

Their magazine has got exclusive Muppet recipes like Fozzy's Honey Pancakes. I'm pretty busy but I'll try to take some pictures and make an article of it on my Muppet Blog.
Oh I very much like hearing this. I was hoping the European release would create a bonanza for Muppet promos and merchandise. Wait, there's an actual new Muppet magazine?