Non Sequitur

Princeton

Reaction score
I'm speaking of course of the brilliant satirical comic strip by Wiley Miller. However, the purpose of this thread is more of an expose` than a tribute. Wiley includes his e-mail address in every strip in case a fan would like to give feedback. So I decided to take advantage of this and ask for origin information of my favorite character, Danae. However, while compiling the e-mail, I could not remember her name. So, instead of interrupting my e-mail to double-check, I decided to wing it and referred to the character as 'Panae'. The next morning, I see that Wiley has replied to my e-mail and I am excited. This was the response in full: "The character's name is Danae, Brian. I guess you're not that much of a fan after all." (Well, actually he ended the note by calling me a name that I can't display on this forum, but if I were to divide it into two words, the initials would be A.H.). Admittedly, I'm not sure what my goal was in posting this, but I want my story to be heard and it's not particuarly something I wanted to blog about. Take from it what you will and I welcome your comments.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Ouch! That's not very nice for an artist to treat their fans in such a manner. I'd say you have every right to be irritated; nobody deserves to be insulted for making such a simple mistake.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah that was my first thought too, lol.

The guy probably gets a lot of weirdo mail (especially if he displays his email like that) so he's likely been burned before. And some artists are just very touchy about their work. Talent does not necessarily equal people skills, hehe.

But yeah of course that was unnecessary because it could have easily just been a typo on your part.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sounds like he's trying too much to be Mad Magazine type responsive, but it didn't come out quite right.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This was the response in full: "The character's name is Danae, Brian. I guess you're not that much of a fan after all."
Sounds like he's trying too much to be Mad Magazine type responsive, but it didn't come out quite right.
I think DrTooth has a point, he could have just been trying to be funny. I've seen that kind of thing before. That sort of humor is very difficult to pull off but a lot of people try, lol.

Princeton

Reaction score
I think DrTooth has a point, he could have just been trying to be funny. I've seen that kind of thing before. That sort of humor is very difficult to pull off but a lot of people try, lol.
Yeah, but don't forget the name he called me at the end; by including that, all possibility of humor was removed.

By the way, Heralde, I love your avatar! I grew up on that show!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, but don't forget the name he called me at the end; by including that, all possibility of humor was removed.
Oh yeah you could be absolutely right. Or Dr. Tooth could be right and he just executed a very poor attempt at humor. Annoyingly we may never know, heh. Still I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, Heralde, I love your avatar! I grew up on that show!
Thanks! Yeah me too, I adored Adventures in Wonderland. I learned what an oxymoron was from that show, lol. And it holds up amazing well today. The Disney Channel put so much effort into it, it's breath taking. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Ugh...I was gonna try to lighten the mood with a joke, but seeing as my sense of humor tends to verge on the rude, sarcastic side, probably not appropriate.

Anyway, I probably would have had the same reaction you did. it really is hard to tell what his intent was. You could always try replying with some kind of joke. It could kinda go one of two ways though.

@heralde, I also loved that show growing up. Its been a while...Off to youtube!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah you could be absolutely right. Or Dr. Tooth could be right and he just executed a very poor attempt at humor. Annoyingly we may never know, heh. Still I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.
The problem with e-mail and internet responses is you can't hear sarcasm or sincerity in someone's voice. If he wasn't trying to be funny, that's just ridiculously rude. But if he was... the A.H. comment just... not much of a joke unless he has a weirder sense of humor than his comics have.

Anyway, it was kinda inappropriate no matter what.

Princeton

Reaction score
The problem with e-mail and internet responses is you can't hear sarcasm or sincerity in someone's voice. If he wasn't trying to be funny, that's just ridiculously rude. But if he was... the A.H. comment just... not much of a joke unless he has a weirder sense of humor than his comics have.
I wouldn't call Non Sequitur weird; maybe 'eccentric' (which is a distant cousin to weird).