Being Green

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
I have been musing with this in my head and I thought: Might not be such a bad idea. This will be a story about Kermit's beginning from tadpole to frog, and of course, a lover.

Chapter 1: Expecting

If you were to go to the swamps and see all its marshy landscapes and creatures, you would mistake it for something smelly and dirty, something that would need to be extracted from the world. Yet if you would listen and see the swamp as something different, something that could be considered extraordinary and yes, even beautiful. In one particular corner of the swamp, there sat a large family of frogs near an old wooden shack with their heads angled earnestly towards the pond. There, resting in the water were hundreds of tiny frog eggs. Their parents sat on the edge of the embankment, shifting their weight from flipper to flipper, the female with the lighter skin color had her dark brown hair pulled back into a bun with curly strands framing her face. The male had a darker tone, he didn't have any hair(don't ask me how the who gets hair and who doesn't works, I just don't know) but was instead marked with brown spots.
"Why aren't they hatching?" The female whispered worriedly, her bulbous eyes flashing in the dimness. The male wrapped his arm securely around his wife, a reassuring smile on his face.
"They will. Remember how Mama said they would probably be late bloomers, it happens sometimes. It will happen soon, don't worry Karen." Karen looked at her mate with hope and love, happy that he was there with her. She would have pressed him further, had she not noticed a bright green peeking through the pink of the egg shell.
"Kemble, one's starting to hatch!" Karen whispered excitedly, her heart fluttering in hre chest. Her husband, Kemble whipped his head around to the rest of the family and motioned them forward. In one single heartbeat, they all hopped towards the small commotion surging from the pond. As the Frog family watched with utter rapture, the green sliver turned into a larger crack showing the struggling form of a small tadpole. Kemble wished to reach in and hold the egg shell down so his new born child would be able to escape the troublesome egg shell, but to the custom of frogs, the first born had to make it's own way in the world. It had to deal with its first challenge in life and over come it, or else they would never learn to survive. At last, with a final heave, the tiny tadpole broke free in a spinning cartwheel until it came to a stop. Shaking its head, the newborn tadpole surveyed its audience through the surface of the water it seemed as if it were considering whether they were trustworthy or not.
Careful not to make any sudden movements for fear of scaring away his firstborn, Kemble slowly pulled his old banjo from behind the log next to him and began to play a simple tune. As he played, the young tadpole came closer to its father and listened to the strange new sound vibrating through the water. While the chords echoed across the swamp, more eggs started to crack and show more of the first tadpole's siblings. It was beautiful and natural form of colors as all different shades of green broke away from the once bright colors of pink. Not all the eggs hatched, but by the end of Kemble's banjo playing, most of the eggs had. The rest of the tadpoles swam around their new home, curious of its hidden treasure. Yet the first stayed and watched his father with round curious eyes, almost begging for more.
"I think we should name him Kermit." Karen whispered warmly into his ear. Kemble didn't remove his gaze from that of his son's, instead he grinned widely and struck another note on his instrument in finality. Kermit. It fit perfectly in Kemble's mind. While the recent parents watched the spectacular show of their new borne, the rest of the family left them alone to name each of their children. Something that would undoubtedly take all night. As Karen and Kemble named their children one by one, Kemble would look over at Kermit in fascination, baffled by his son's quickness to learn and by his curiosity of music. Whenever Kemble accidentally brushed the strings of his banjo, Kermit would float stock still and give his undivided attention to the sound. It soon became where Kemble would strum the strings for amusement rather than by accident. in the end, Karen named most of their children, although she hadn't minded. She enjoyed seeing her husband experiment with Kermit and adored seeing his child like interest in all that was happening.
Kemble smiled down at Kermit who returned with his own tad polish smile. You're going to do great things someday. Great things.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Wow! Great! Amazing! Wonderful!
Great job, I love it!
You're storytelling just keeps getting better and better, I'd love to see the rest of this story this first part really got me excited!

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! I am sooo glad my writing is beginning to look better!! Don't worry miss kermie, I get squeeish writing this stuff!:coy:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Chapter two: Time's Fun When Having Flies

Kemble sat near the water's edge, his flippers swishing back and forth in slow circular motions across the water. He stretched out his gangly figure in the warm sun, his eyes gazed lazily over the pond as Dragon Flies, Mosquitoes, and an assortment of other insects flew over the murky water. Keeping his eye trained on a rather large fly, his tongue lashed out and back in with the fly glued to its surface. Without Kemble knowing, a pair of white eyes watched him from under the surface of the pond. In a mere matter of seconds they had swum towards the frog and nudged his right flipper.
"GAAAAH!!" Kemble yelled as he quickly pulled his flippers from the water. When he saw Kermit's mischievous grin, he sighed and slipped back into the lukewarm water. Almost three years had passed since the hatching and Kermit was already starting to show signs of arms and legs, more than his siblings could say for themselves.
"Hello, Kermit. How are you buddy?" Kemble asked warmly to his young son. In response Kermit opened his mouth and stuck out his small tongue, yet no noise or the possibility of a voice came from his throat. While all of the other tad poles were beginning to speak short sentences, Kermit had remained mute from birth and only continued to watch the world with great interest. Kemble and Karen had talked to all the elders who had been around for generations, even when Kemble was little the elders were considered old. Both parents had asked if it was normal for tad poles to remain silent for so long. All the elders had given the same reply: That in his own time, he would be ready. In other words, they had no idea. Kemble pulled himself back to the present as Kermit again showed his glorious pink tongue to the world.
"What are you trying to ask Kermit? Do want to know why I catch food with my tongue?" He asked his son whose patience had yet to wear thin, again Kermit poked his tongue out and nodded.
"Well," Kemble thought of a good way to explain to his son what frogs naturally did. "It's how frogs have been catching their food generation upon generation. I do it, my daddy did it, and his daddy too. Your body won't be fully matured until your 12 though." Kemble said bemusedly as his son tried to throw his tongue out at nearby bugs. Kemble waved his hand in the water, causing small waves to travel to different areas of the pond. Carefully patting his son's head, Kemble smiled at the eldest of his children.
"Don't worry, you'll be grown up before you know it." He murmured softly, his eyes growing distant.
............................................................And that's all I have for tonight, see ya guys later! Oh! And please review, you have no idea how that can make my day so much brighter!! Thanks for always sticking with me Muppetfan 123 and miss kermie! You guys rock!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------
I kind of like the concept of Muppet frogs aging like humans do. Robin DOES seem to be taking a long time to grow up, unless he's a dwarf species... :smile:

Nice word usage: I particularly like "gangly" to describe a frog! If they stood like we did they'd be a lot taller than they look all squatted down. (Makes me think of Kermit's Wild-West-town showdown with Doc Hopper. That camerashot through his legs is hilarious.)

Keep it up!
---------------------

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Thanks Newsie! i was kind of confused with the whole aging part because in Kermit's Swamp years, Kermit talked about not having his arms and laegs until he was 12, yet Robin is 6 and already has those... I think I'll just kind of go along with everything...:sigh::stick_out_tongue::wink:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Thanks Newsie! i was kind of confused with the whole aging part because in Kermit's Swamp years, Kermit talked about not having his arms and laegs until he was 12, yet Robin is 6 and already has those... I think I'll just kind of go along with everything...:sigh::stick_out_tongue::wink:
Yeah, I was actually waiting for a part where I can quote Kermit by saying "Uh, Rowlf, Tadpoles don't have feet". But you've done your Muppet/Frog research. Great job Figgie! I can't wait for more! Keep it up!

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Yeah, I was actually waiting for a part where I can quote Kermit by saying "Uh, Rowlf, Tadpoles don't have feet". But you've done your Muppet/Frog research. Great job Figgie! I can't wait for more! Keep it up!
Thanks! If not feet, then flippers!!:smile: More story tomorrow hopefully. I just posted more on my oher fanfic, so that should keep you guys full for now...:hungry:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Part 1 of Chapter 3:
Sorry for the long wait guys!

Tales to Tell, Tails to Lose

Kermit watched sadly as his mother mourned softly near the base of a nearby swamp tree, large alligator tears rolled down her lime green skin as she sobbed softly into the moss. Kermit was only seven when his dad died, he still hadn't spoken a word and after this incident, he wasn't sure if he ever would. His flippers made no sound as he padded over to the distraught female he knew as his family. Stopping in front of his mother he merely watched her wearily for what felt like eternity but in reality was only moments.
The first thing her tired, tear stained eyes noticed were his flippers, large, green, and flat. They were so similar to his father's she almost let her believe it truly was him. “But he's gone,” She thought bitterly to herself, “and he's never coming back.” Forcing the floodgates to a close, Karen turned her flushed face and puffy eyes to her mute son. His mouth did not move or form any sort of communication, but his eyes said everything to her.
Are you alright?
No.” She replied with her own.
Oh.” For a moment Kermit didn't move, then slowly and carefully he sat next to Karen and wrapped a thin arm around her shoulders in a comforting gesture. They said no more after that, or in this case, looked no more than they had. Instead they listened to the stars whisper over the marsh grasses and lakes, both searching specifically for a dark green one.