Caroll Spinney Interview: Oscar the Grouch, Big Bird and Me

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
"When I saw that I said, “What the **** is that about?” That’s ridiculous. What are they saying– that standards are so different now and that it would be bad for children to watch old episodes of Sesame Street?! I asked them “Who wrote that?” but I never got an answer out of them. It’s the strangest thing and I can’t figure it out, because there’s absolutely nothing that’s politically incorrect or harmful to children in those shows."
Absolutely agree. That whole disclaimer thing on the Old School DVDs was beyond insane and insulting.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I learned a few things I wasn't aware of, like the whole issue with Caroll not getting any royalties and such from albums and records, but they did say that the record industry is just about the sleaziest part of the entertainment world... then again, when you think about it, the music industry in general is rather crooked.

I also assume that the "hard guy" whose work Jim wasn't particularly fond of was John Lovelady, since he was pretty much "that other guy" alongside Jim, Frank, and Caroll that first year on SST. Then again, it seems like no matter what project John is involved with, he never lasts, be it the Muppets, or The Great Space Coaster, or even with Sid & Marty Krofft.

Great little article.

zns

Reaction score
Wonderful interview. It's a shame the record companies didn't work well with Caroll, but still lots of interesting stuff on there. A wonderful interview with a wonderful man. :wisdom::grouchy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I also assume that the "hard guy" whose work Jim wasn't particularly fond of was John Lovelady, since he was pretty much "that other guy" alongside Jim, Frank, and Caroll that first year on SST. Then again, it seems like no matter what project John is involved with, he never lasts, be it the Muppets, or The Great Space Coaster, or even with Sid & Marty Krofft.
I didn't know Lovelady didn't last on The Great Space Coaster, though I never saw that show (I assumed he was on for the whole run). But I doubt it was him, since he did continue with Henson throughout the 1970s.

I think he might have been referring to Daniel Segren. It's known that he did perform Big Bird in a few season one episodes (and I think Spinney said or implied that Henson chose between him and another performer), and I don't know if he's even done any Muppet work since 1972.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I didn't know Lovelady didn't last on The Great Space Coaster, though I never saw that show (I assumed he was on for the whole run).
IIRC, he did all but maybe two seasons of the show, then most (if not all) of his characters were taken over by Noel MacNeal.
I think he might have been referring to Daniel Segren. It's known that he did perform Big Bird in a few season one episodes (and I think Spinney said or implied that Henson chose between him and another performer), and I don't know if he's even done any Muppet work since 1972.
Ah, I didn't think about him, you may be right.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
One of the best interviews I've read this year! I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Spinney and Oscar at a San Francisco book signing several years ago and he was phenomenal. An artist's living is not an an easy one and he almost lost faith and considered leaving Sesame Street after the first year. Jim encouraged him to stay and the rest is history. I really connected with that at a time when I needed to hear it.

It's also interesting to read how the record deals went down. Spinney is one of the kindest performers I've ever met and it's a shame that anyone would take advantage of him like that. :grouchy: It just goes to show that creative people have challenges even after they find success. Every fan, performer and artist should read his memoir. :wisdom:

It's cool to hear his thoughts on the Muppet film too!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I had hoped he would have come to Knoxville during his book signing tour, but he didn't... nobody famous ever really comes here anyway... it was strange that Jerry Seinfeld came three times a few years ago.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The stuff about him not getting many/any residuals for the albums and Follow That Bird is interesting (and sad). I wonder what residuals he does get... I thought I read years ago that everybody who worked on the show still gets residuals when their stuff is aired and/or released commercially. I wonder if that'd apply to albums that feature audio tracks from the show.