"Put Down the Duckie" cameo question

Princeton

Reaction score
About halfway through the celebrity version of 'Put Down the Duckie', there's an extreme close-up of a British man and woman who say in extremely harsh and stern tones: "PUT DOWWWWWN THE DUCKAY, YES YOU'VE GOTTTT TO LEAVE THE DUCK 'LONE!". Who are these people? When I was little, I was terrified of them because all the celebrities were clearly having fun and being silly, and then when the man and woman in question are screaming at the camera, I felt drop-kicked out of Sesame Street and into Staunch-WASP Lane.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
About halfway through the celebrity version of 'Put Down the Duckie', there's an extreme close-up of a British man and woman who say in extremely harsh and stern tones: "PUT DOWWWWWN THE DUCKAY, YES YOU'VE GOTTTT TO LEAVE THE DUCK 'LONE!". Who are these people? When I was little, I was terrified of them because all the celebrities were clearly having fun and being silly, and then when the man and woman in question are screaming at the camera, I felt drop-kicked out of Sesame Street and into Staunch-WASP Lane.
The woman on the right is actress Jean Marsh, probably best known to folks here as Princess Mombi in Return to Oz from the mid 80s. Not sure who the man is.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what else they did on the show. I know that all/most of the celebrities from the montages appeared after making seperate appearances on the show (I often wonder if there was another Simpsons appearance besides Monster in the Mirror, but either way they'd have to be animated as opposed to being filmed at the time they're on the set). I don't recall seeing those two in any other segments, though I'd assume they used that set.

Let's see, what other Put Down the Duckie cameos are there that haven't been found by fans? I don't know of Jeremy Iron's appearance, and not sure what else that trumpet player did. I don't know what else Rhea Pearlman did at the time, though I know she did make another guest appearance (though I assume it came a few seasons later). Though in the case of Pearlman, I get the feeling she might have just been there because her husband, Danny DeVito, was making an appearance. And I know Inzalk Pearlman made other appearances in other seasons, but am unsure what he did in 1987 (he looks a little chubbier here than in that early 1980s segment with the little girl).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Jean Marsh and Gordon Jackson as their characters from the British series "Upstairs, Downstairs," a mainstay of Masterpiece Theatre.
Thanks! I had a feeling they were on Masterpiece Theater but I wasn't positive. :smile:

Princeton

Reaction score
Thanks for identifying these actors, but did anyone else feel that they were out-of-place in this song?

Princeton

Reaction score
Thought of a couple other cameos in the song that I'm not quite clear on: the black man that appears right before Pee-wee Herman and the trumpet player. What are their names?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Thought of a couple other cameos in the song that I'm not quite clear on: the black man that appears right before Pee-wee Herman and the trumpet player. What are their names?
The trumpet player is named Wynton Marsailis, and the guy that appears before Pee-wee is Jazz singer Joe Williams.