Overused Plots in Movies and TV

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Demonic possession for the plot. I have been watching too many movies of this particular plot-line lately.

I.E.:
  • Devil
  • Orphan
  • Case 39
  • The Last Exorcism
Just to name a few.

Conspiracy films surrounding chemical/drugs: Toxic Skies, Max Payne.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
One thing that I always found annoying growing up was that if a TV show (especially a cartoon) has a character who is a tomboyish young girl, she must be a belligerent borderline schoolyard bully who, of course, loves pro wrestling. I've been a tomboy most of my life (though, since I'm an adult now, I describe myself as a bit of a frat boy in a woman's body), and anyone who knows me knows I wouldn't hurt a fly (unless, of course, said fly said something about my mother) and that I despise pro wrestling (my little brothers are crazy about it, and I'm always badgering them about how it's not a real sport).

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm all for showing gender nonconformist kids on TV and in cartoons (feminine young boys and masculine young girls), but there should be a happy medium between girlie girl and bully (and for heaven's sake, we do NOT all like pro wrestling!).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
How about this one:

One character happens upon a little item he/she believes will bring good luck, whether it's a tradition good luck charm like a four-leaf clover, or a horseshoe, or some other kind of random thing like a marble, coin, or whatever; that character is then plagued with all kinds of bad luck and misfortune for the rest of the episode, so at the end of the episode, the character gets rid of the item, either by just throwing it away, or giving it away to another character. Immediately afterwards, that other character ends up having the good luck, usually by finding something of value like loose money, leaving the first character in a state of aggrivation.

I know it's old, but for some reason, I never get tired of it... I'm guilty of using it myself.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
I winced at reading the early entries in this thread and realizing I've been guilty of one of them in a fic. Yeek. I hope and like to think I've improved...

Slightly off-topic, but I've often found myself depressed because I loved a particular character but was having trouble coming up with a plot idea which WASN'T a cliche...I suppose this doesn't say much for my originality of thought! :embarrassed:
----------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but I've often found myself depressed because I loved a particular character but was having trouble coming up with a plot idea which WASN'T a cliche...I suppose this doesn't say much for my originality of thought! :embarrassed:
----------------
There is no such thing as originality :stick_out_tongue:

mo

Reaction score
someone has a loose tooth. she/he loses it.they are scared what the "tooth fairy" will be angry.someone suggests they write a note.It all ends happily...

GIMME A FRIGGIN BREAK!

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are only so many plots you can do. Every single plot has been already used. Not even by Hollywood. Shakespeare wasn't even writing plays when those plots were used.'

I'm talking about mythology. Every basic story of a hero is based on mythology. Someone has to get something, save someone, become something, discover something... then something happens for dramatic effect and things either end well or end poorly or sometimes in between. That's the history of human storytelling from the ancient storytellers to whoever wrote the Avengers movie.

We've had the basic skeleton of a story for eons. What makes them different is the details we add to them. You can't go with true originality, but you can put your humor, your voice, your experiences in a story, and it's unique for that reason. It isn't copying unless you directly lift the entire structure and characters and jokes and dramatic angles from something else. There's just no way to tell a story that hasn't been told before.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
One overused plot is the "minister wasn't liscenced, so we're not really married" plot, or some variation of it.

I own two television shows on DVD that used it (Dick Van Dyke Show and Dinosaurs) and I know Jetsons did it. There were many other sitcoms that used it.
Yeah but that episode was Earl and Fran's lisence had expired.
How about amnesia with clips of the show? That's really done a lot. Pufnstuf did and Alf did it, or how about while we're on the subject. Someone hitting an amnesia victim on the head to cure them, but another character mistakenly hits them again to make them worse. The Addams Family and Tom and Jerry are only two examples of this being done.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
someone has a loose tooth. she/he loses it.they are scared what the "tooth fairy" will be angry.someone suggests they write a note.It all ends happily...

GIMME A FRIGGIN BREAK!
Or BAD Santa Claus is real plots. Miracle on 34th Street is awesome, but they mak esome prety bad verisons of them as well. Besides they never think of one vital thing! THe adults don't bgelieve in Santa, but who in the Labyrinth gives the kids thier presents that they didn't buy? (sarcastically)Did the Grandparents sneak in the middle of the night but couldn't stay?!

Reactions: mo

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
There was also a Muppet Show episode where Dr. Strangepork invented a Dissolvatrion and it ended up switching some of the characters' bodies. Link switched with Piggy, Strangepork switched with Janice, and Kermit switched with the Swedish Chef. I was wondering if this would go on throughout the show where more characters would get switched, but they quickly stopped it when the Pigs in Space sketch ended and everyone went back to normal with no explanation.
I can't wait to see it! I sounds hilarious!