Anyone worried about the next generation?

Drtooth

Reaction score
In some cases probably, but mainly to sell toys, lol. However I would also argue that cartoons in the '80s often actually had a darker streak that cartoons just don't have the brains for today.
Depends on which ones. The girly cartoons were vapid. Care Bears was vapid, Rainbow Bright was vapid (though it had a pretty good villain)... not to say they're terrible (though I'm pretty much reprogrammed to hate that stuff after the 90's revolution), but depth was a thing that was commonly quelled by the parental groups and network heads afraid of parental groups. There were some pretty dark moments in the boy's action cartoons, though... but frankly, after Batman TAS came out, nothing quite seemed as dark since. Not even some of the new DC cartoons that are pretty dramatic. Even Brave and the Bold had a dramatic episode from time to time. The only episode I've seen so far of the new Transformers Prime (the one where Bumblebee can't transform because a bio-mechanic component in his system was stolen and they explained how they can't just build everything back) was pretty dark and deep too.

Still, I don't think G.I. Joe ever went into questioning wars. it was pretty much straight up good vs. evil, black and white stuff. If they made an episode where the US government was making deals with Cobra to get cheap, opportunistic political points (something that pretty much happened in the 80's) I'd tend to agree more.

Seriously... Saddam was our friend back then. That went well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Depends on which ones. The girly cartoons were vapid. Care Bears was vapid, Rainbow Bright was vapid (though it had a pretty good villain)
Rainbow Brite I agree, lol. With the Care Bears, it depended on the incarnation, it could occasionally be rather atmospheric.

Misskermie

Reaction score
wait a second is this just me or does this sound like ben rants? It's a youtube user who rants about the media I am addicted to it!

it's ok to be addicted to something as long if it's not drugs cigarettes or alcahol
Who or what is Ben rants? LOL

Reactions: mo

mo

Reaction score

well we all like some stuff! I'm confused why he did'nt put jessica rabbit in it!

D'Snowth

Reaction score

well we all like some stuff! I'm confused why he did'nt put jessica rabbit in it!
I think, IIRC, Daphne from Scooby-Doo was probably my first cartoon crush, lol! XD Misty's fine too for always walking around in short shorts, which I can't get enough of (since miniskirts are now illegal in Indonesia, are short shorts going to be prohibited as well?) I prefer Raven over Starfire... the others... meh...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Why can't I find a guy who thinks punk girls are hot? *bricked*

I think my first cartoon crush was Ace from the powerpuff girls. I still think he's a hottie though :stick_out_tongue:

mo

Reaction score
punk girls are awesome if I was'nt blond,upbeat and niave I would probably be one!

I never had a cartoon crush! boys are yucky! lol!
but then again I do kinda like artie springer...

Misskermie

Reaction score
Does Luigi count as a cartoon crush since he was in a mario bros. cartoon?

Misskermie

Reaction score
YaY
I remember the day I left him for Fozzie...
It was hard, and he was heartbroken, but we're still friends!