What's happened to Marvel's Muppets Comic?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Have Marvel dropped the Muppets Comic? I dont see it listed in Marvel Previews anymore.I must admit that I am dissapointed in Marvel's distribution as I havent seen it in Australia.In retrospect, I think it was better with Boom, because at least you could follow the releases on their website and buy from them.Marvel seem to have let it quitely slip away, but then again, they have probably realised that not many are going to buy a comic that has already been printed by Boom.We really need new material.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And we never got that *&^%$ Four Seasons arc. Seriously. I took a LOT of heat for complaining about this because apparently the best thing in the world is that they re-released half the storylines. I mean, sure, it was a boon to those who didn't spend week after week tracking each and every single issue down the day of its release... those who weren't as lucky as I was to be able to go to a comic book store on a regular basis, or even have a comic book store near them.

What I want to know is this... why can't Marvel just do a four issue limited series style release of the last arc? That's all I ever wanted and the only reason I complained. I know you're rushing me out of the restaurant, but at least let me order dessert first.

dwmckim

Reaction score
My prediction. Someday when you least expect it, the Four Seasons issues will be released...

...but not in print but as a BluRay bonus feature where half the fans can't enjoy it anyway...

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's up with the Fourth Season installment. That could very well be tied up in legalities between Boom and Disney. Then again, maybe not. I've kind of moved on.

Disney's plans for the Muppets at Marvel will likely be publicized when the inaugural issue is close to release. We'll see if it's going forward or if it's been placed on the back burner after Marvel's Comic-Con appearance.

Disney has a lot of things under review and that takes time. Let's hope this is next up and that they get the jump on the Sesame comics. The Muppet comics are what provided the spark for Sesame, Fraggle and the new Dark Crystal comics. They should be first in line to ride the wave right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...but not in print but as a BluRay bonus feature where half the fans can't enjoy it anyway...
Quoted for truth.

I'm not sure what's up with the Fourth Season installment. That could very well be tied up in legalities between Boom and Disney. Then again, maybe not. I've kind of moved on.

Disney's plans for the Muppets at Marvel will likely be publicized when the inaugural issue is close to release. We'll see if it's going forward or if it's been placed on the back burner after Marvel's Comic-Con appearance.
Unless there are those idiotic legal reasons, Disney has nothing to gain by holding onto something that's paid for. I still don't see why they couldn't give them a 2 month extension to release those under Boom, especially since the first magazine didn't come out until 6 months after. There is no greater frustration than having an actual ending to something and stopping it just before the ending.

Other than that, I wish they had one more Classics miniseries. Muppet Sherlock Holmes, while having a strong first and last issue, was a very weak ending to the series.

Marvel is releasing a 4 issue Toy Story test comic, and if that goes well, we'll probably see other Disney licenses as comics. But then again, I see the big two, DC and Marvel, cancel comics the second they're released lately. I mean, we all know what the "new 52" really meant. It meant that things got so incredibly convolved with their story lines they had to completely start all over again so people who haven't been following every single issue for 30 years can pick up an issue and not get completely confused by stunt plotlines. And they dropped like 4 as soon as they were announced. Heh. That's why I watch comic book cartoons and buy cartoon comic books.

Like I said before, Marvel (no matter who owns it) has Spider-Man, Iron Man, and the X-Men... characters that have world wide appeal anyway. I don't think they have any use for Mickey and co, let alone Kermit and the gang. Meanwhile, Papercutz has the license for Italian Tinkerbell comics. I wish they'd get the PK license.

That said, is Archaia actually going to give us Fraggle Rock Volume 3 anytime soon? I'm glad they're doing all these obscure Henson things, finishing off a movie Jim never was able to do... but I really loved how the Fraggle comics turned out.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Marvel is owned by Disney.
I don't think Marvel dropped it, becuase then that would mean that Disney's dropping it. Why would Disney drop it and pay Boom! to do it?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think I read at Tough Pigs long ago that Disney's license with Boom mean tthat Disney gets the copyright for the comics as soon as they've been released, otherwise Disney would have to pay for the copyright. I'm hoping Disney would have paid for The Four Seasons so we could get it. At this point I'd rather have all four issues released as one release as opposed to four seperate releases.

Is it really odd that there haven't been more announcements? I feel like I haven't seen any big announcements for these releases until they hit stores, whether I see them in stores first or I read that somebody online saw copies of the rereleases (though I do remember seeing reports in advance over the Marvel rerelease of Meet the Muppets).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think I read at Tough Pigs long ago that Disney's license with Boom mean that Disney gets the copyright for the comics as soon as they've been released, otherwise Disney would have to pay for the copyright. I'm hoping Disney would have paid for The Four Seasons so we could get it. At this point I'd rather have all four issues released as one release as opposed to four seperate releases.
Doesn't sound like there should be any trouble with The Four Seasons then... Even if it was released just as a magazine version, I'd grab it as soon as I saw it. They didn't even do On the Road/Pigs in Space yet.

This needs to be released, either as a magazine, a graphic novel, or a miniseries of 4 issues. I don't care about seeing another Muppet based comic book, just the end of the one we had. I'm disappointed that they lost the Disney License all around, but at least with Darkwing Duck, we got the actual ending. I'm sure Roger wrapped The Muppet Show up very nicely. Muppet Mash was fun and all, but a very disappointing ending to the series. But that wasn't the intent.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's just been announced that The Four Seasons will FINALLY get released in july, as a four-issue storyarc (I was expecting them all to get released in one big magazine-sized release).