Muppets named NYC's 2012 Family Ambassadors

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Muppets have been named NYC's 2012 Family Ambassadors!

The Muppets are taking Manhattan, again!

Mayor Michael Bloomberg joined Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Gonzo the Great and Pepe the King Prawn Friday to announce the gang will be the city’s official family ambassadors this year.

“The Muppets believe in dreaming big – just like New Yorkers,” Bloomberg said. “Extending the NYC Family Ambassador program beyond the summer and for the entire year will aid us in attracting more family visitors year round and therefore help us reach our goal of attracting 55 million visitors to New York City annually by 2015.”

The Muppets will encourage families to travel to the Big Apple to dine, shop and play.
“I’ve loved New York ever since I arrived in its harbor and saw that the Statue of Liberty is green. What a welcome!” said Kermit the Frog.

On the city’s website, the Muppets will share their favorite things to do in the city; Miss Piggy will offer the best shopping spots, Kermit the Frog will help visitors get around the five boroughs, and Swedish Chef will share his favorite foods.

Last year, 15 million family visitors contributed about $14 million to the city’s economy.
Since the Family Ambassador program started three years ago, family visitation has increased by nearly 15 percent, officials said.

The Muppets are the fourth Family Ambassadors. Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer and The Smurfs also had the honor.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/13/the-muppets-named-new-york-citys-official-family-ambassadors/

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Very cool! Hope my Kermie takes me to New York soon. If not, he knows what will happen. :mad:

Just FYI for those watching the 20 minute video. Nothing really happens until 5 minutes in so just let it load and skip ahead. And the Muppets don't show up until 10:45.

The first question in the Q&A was priceless! LOL! Wish they would have left the audio on the last couple of minutes. Love me some Muppet improv.

Walter White

Reaction score
It looks like Kermit scored a front row seat to the Yankees game as part of this.

Borples

Reaction score
They're everywhere! Yaaaaaaay! :smile:

Oh my goodness. Did Steve have to spend an entire three-hour ballgame sitting under the stadium seats? Yikes.

Where's the 20 minute video, please? I'm not seeing it.