My "Appeal" to the "Old-Timers"...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This has been a big year for one of our most celebrated and respected "old-timers" here, as Beau celebrated his tenth anniversary of being a part of MC, and in honor of the occasion, a number of old-timers who have been keeping a low profile turned out in celebration of the achievement.

Beau's feat aside (why do I get the feeling that line alone is going to garner muffins?), it would be wonderful if more of you old-timers would come home and stay a while... I know a number of us are still in personal contact outside of MC, and I know the feelings some of you have about the shape the community has been in recent years, but it would be really nice, and maybe even refreshing to see a few old familiar faces (or avatars rather) around here again, because it was guys like you who really helped shape the MC community into what it was, and I think most of us can agree that it really wasn't until around 2005 or so when MC really did evolve from just a forum into a community, and it was because of you guys, it was because of Beau and MopFam, it was because of Prawnie and Toga and their epic opi (that's plural for opus, isn't it?), it was because of MrsPepper and TKO, it was because of Davo and his weekly Muppet Visuals, it was because of Beth generously handing out muffins to everybody, it was because Vibs was a crazy Dane who killed jokes any chance she got, it was because of Daniel and his love-filled sermons (I do see he's made a comeback recently), and many more, you were the ones who made an impact and made Muppet Central the great place that it is today.

So what do you guys say? Will you please come home? Even for a little while?

dwmckim

Reaction score
It's always great when oldtimers stick around and have been a part of a community for over ten years. It's kind of sad that the Delphi archives are forever lost because the "original" "old-timers" can't go back and pinpoint when their specific "anniversaries" are (i can say i've been here since 1998 but couldn't give a specific month or date)

...and for the record, MC was most definately a community in the truist sense of the word for way longer - not to take away the wonderful acheivements of Beau and the others named upthread, but it wouldn't really be doing MC fair justice to give the impression that it wasn't an outstanding place with true "old friends who just met" beforehand...but one would indeed have to be a "true" oldtimer to remember that (and again since the Delphi archives are lost, no one else can go back and "relive" the beginnings.)

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
I too, would love to see some of the "old timers" come back. I was absent from the board for several years (having babies and such), and now that I'm back I feel like the new kid around here.

And speaking of Delphi I'm still getting used to the fact that I'm "Cindy" and not "Miss Piggy" anymore. I don't miss the old clunky Delphi software, but it and the people that it represented are very near and dear to my heart.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I can say for my own part that I joined in 05, in what turned out to be a very turbulent period in my life. Although I was shy and it took me a long time to really come into my own here, I could feel the warmth, and I was always extremely happy here. Even before I joined though, while I was a lerker in 04, I could tell that the members here were really close, had a lot of fun, and that this connection went way back. Even though Delphi is gone, I knew that a lot of the members came from there, and had and have no trouble believing that the same spirit I enjoyed here was carried over from there. I think that we have highs and lows here. I forget who it was, but someone a long time ago said that it's every 2 to 3 years that the energy of the forum changes. I came back to the forum through Beau's link on facebook. I was unsure at first, looked around a bit, liked what I saw, and decided to stick around. To me it feels like we're coming back to what we were! I'm getting just a bit off-topic though. The point is that we are a big part of the magic and beauty of it all, but it didn't start with us, and hopefully it won't end with us, or that we'll be here 'til the end, depending on your outlook.
:smile:
I also feel like I'm starting over, what with me being away so long, and coming back to so many new members. I'm glad, because it means I don't have to try and pick up where I left off, the stress of which might've made me up and leave again. Plus, I was sitting in my dorm room late at night looking through the introductions thread, just like I used to do back around 04/05. The differences were that I already had an account, and there were already plenty of people here who knew me, and so that was nice.
:smile:

Katzi428

Reaction score
Well, I'm here to stay. So you don't have to worry about me posting in the "I won't be posting anymore" thread.
I've been around since the Delphi days. (Gads..that's a LONG time!) I started posting as KPH_2000. A week from tomorrow though I'll be on a week long cruise . (Just giving you guys a heads up.)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
Though I haven't had the honor of knowing many of you personally, I NEVER join stuff (DA is just a place to post for here, and I'm not on any social networking stuff and never will be) but when I was looking over the site last year I was so impressed with that OBVIOUS sense of warmth, of welcome, and of community that I did sign up. As antisocial as I am, that says a lot for how well-knit without being cliquey you guys are. So to the old school folks: thank you for making this place, and thank you for keeping it fun. :smile:
--------------

Beauregard

Reaction score
*moves feat aside*

Hey, dw, I originally joined MC because it was a fun place filled with an amazing community (shout-out to Emmy, Jackie, CrazyChris and FOZZ3B3AR!). I learned from the golden age in order to help be a part of the founding of the silver age (or...whatever we decided to call the different MC eras). I tend to remember the old days in black-and-white!

Anyway, I'm here to stay and always have been, but I am just less loud and less active here for a few reasons. One of which is that the Internet itself has become so much LARGER. Things we used to just sit on MC and imagine, we now just do through the power of the internet (we don't kidnap Muppeteers, but we do Facebook stalk them...*ahem*...some of us...sometimes...) Another reason is just time-wise, I am often so tired by the time I get back from work that I don't have the energy to live a second, virtual life as the pirate psudo-side-image of a tv character played by an actor played by me (its exhausting just thinking about it!) or to stage Golden Girls wars.

But, that said, I still try where I can to live by my old rule, "Make 'em laugh" and if I don't have something funny to say...I just say nothing at all.

Love you for starting this thread though!

Bea:zany:{Even this signature signature move was *ahem* borrowed from a Golden Age member @zackthedog}regard

D'Snowth

Reaction score
(shout-out to Emmy, Jackie,
HOW could I forget about those two knucklehead?! *Slaps self*

But then again, I think they were already in the process of phasing out of MC by the time I joined.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Another culprit of the current, often slightly less interactive MC is the use of the "Like" feature. If, instead of pressing "Like!" (or as well as) you reply to say you like a comment or a post and then add your own two cents (or toon sense), that gives a more interactive feel than simply "like"ing something...because there's no way for the original poster to then respond to that.

Teheheman

Reaction score
AMEN BROTHA SNOWTH! I joined in '06 I believe(Don't quote me on that) But I mainly joined to share my Muppet parody and my stories with people(and I liked the Muppets too) and I ended up staying because I had to post 10 times before I can post a link or something like that, and then, I morphed into the Muppet Ambassador of Love from my love of Big and Rich and their philosophy of LOVE EVERYBODY! When I need to, I'll bust out in a sermon, or when asked I'll try to bust out into making everybody get along and feel the love and I also appreciate the love that I get from everybody here. I left for a brief hiatus because of something I said to somebody who kept posting their pictures and saying how ugly they are and I got bashed for telling her that I didn't care for her saying that and wondering that if she thinks she's not good looking, why does she keep showing her pictures? Anyways, I'm glad that I came back.

Daniel