Brothers and Sisters

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Count: Thanks, I'm glad you liked this story. VMMC isn't part of my timeline except as a TV movie. But their productions contain elements from real life in among the fiction, and JP's passing is one of those elements. So, yes, I guess that this fic does take place after that. : )

Charlietheowl: After all I've put these guys through (well, Skeeter not so much) I think they deserve a little family time. Skeeter's blown off a lot of steam, gotten plenty of stuff out of her system, and is ready to open up to her "nerdy little brother," who now doesn't mind it when she yanks his chain. As for Idgie, I'm hoping someone will recognize the book & movie character she's based on. I watched the movie just last night, in fact.

Newsmanfan: I'm kind of glad to have Scooter and Janken at a point that their orientation and relationship is no longer The Issue. It's taken them a few years, but by now they have enough experience under their belts that they're comfortable about it, and Scooter has stopped fretting about what anyone others would think if they knew. Heh, I'll have to draw Wet Janken so you can judge how rodenty he is. As for Fraggles' perception of the outside world, that kind of stuff is fun. I'm writing them as aliens, and I like showing the world seen in a different way. It's a big step for them to leave the safety of their caves because, well, once you're in a place where there are no familiar tunnels to show you where you are, just distance in every direction, where are you? It's like going out to sea with no instruments. Agoraphobia is almost inevitable. Thankfully Janken's over that, so seeing a landscape that goes on for miles doesn't freak him out.

PS: Heh, I like spit-takes. I have one page of original art from the comic series Xxxenophile, and of all things I got it because of the spit-take gag.

PPS: "Pregnant pause"? Oh, arrrrrgh. Shame on you. :wink:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Brothers and Sisters
Part 3: Things That Go Bump in the Night
by Kim McFarland

It was a dark and silent night. Right here, that was; where they had just come from it was a typical noisy midday. This was not unusual. When you traveled to other places, day and night and weather and even seasons often fell out of sync. What else could you expect from other worlds?

The limestone cave had given way to bare dirt. "This must've been dug by some animal. But was it digging in or out?"

"It could have been made by a Fraggle. A particularly brave and adventurous one."

"Don't tell me you dug it, Uncle Matt. Even you aren't silly enough to dig a dirt tunnel when there are already more caves and passages than we know what to do with."

Traveling Matt Fraggle cleared his throat. "Well, anyway, Nephew Gobo, we have found another path to Outer Space, and it is our duty to explore it."

Matt strode down the tunnel without hesitation. Gobo was hesitant enough for them both. His Uncle Matt was a paradox: jumpy enough to panic if you tapped him on the shoulder unexpectedly, but brave enough to face the myriad unknown dangers of Outer Space without a second thought. He imagined Red remarking that Matt couldn't have second thoughts because that'd mean he had first thoughts for them to follow. Which wasn't true. Red just liked snarking at Uncle Matt.

Matt stuck his head out above ground. "Well, well, what a messy place. It looks like we've discovered a swamp."

Gobo made himself look out. "I don't think so. Swamps are wet and squelchy."

Matt climbed out of the hole and looked around. "Well, er, the water's probably nearby. In Outer Space water is often gathered into large bodies that dwarf our cave streams and pools."

"Oh."

Matt held out a hand to Gobo. There was nothing for Gobo to do but take it and step out of the safety of the hole, into Outer Space. Everything was huge. Trees reached up into the darkness, blotting out the sky. Leaves littered the ground, and grasses and shrubs and ferns and things grew everywhere. Strange buzzes and chirps came from all around. As his eyes adjusted to the faint moonlight coming down through small breaks in the canopy he saw...nothing but tree trunks and underbrush extending off into the distance in every direction.

"Come, Nephew Gobo. Let's explore this brave new world." Matt started walking downslope.

"Wait! Aren't we going to mark this so we can find it again?"

Matt turned back, amused. "I have never needed to mark things or make maps. I can find my way without them. Besides, what would you mark it with, and what would you put on a map besides all these trees?"

Gobo clenched his teeth. This was an old argument. They used to fight over which way of exploring was better, Matt's seemingly random method or Gobo's surer, mapmaking approach. Gobo knew that his maps were utterly reliable, and furthermore would lead future generations of Fraggles. But he had to admit that Matt somehow always found his way around. "Fine. Lead the way, Uncle Matt."

As they walked Matt kept up a running commentary. "It's actually for the best that we came here at night. All of the creatures will be asleep."

"As anyone with any sense would be," Gobo remarked.

Matt stopped and held up one hand. "Hark, do you hear that?"

Gobo listened. There was nothing big or scary-sounding that he could hear. "No. What is it?"

"Come with me!" Matt took off downslope.

Gobo followed, because Matt wouldn't run directly into danger. Not knowingly, at least.

Matt stopped at the edge of a stream so wide that Gobo wouldn't be able to throw a stone across it. Matt said, "This is just a little space stream. Want to go for a swim, boy?"

Gobo hesitated. "Ah, you first."

"I'm just going to dip my feet."

Matt sat down on a rock at the bank and untied his shoes. Gobo looked into the water. It was clear, and smelled of the strange things of outer space, but, strangeness aside, it seemed fresh. In the water were little dark moving things. Healthy water always had things living in it. Even if they were space fish, that reassured Gobo. He sat beside Matt and dunked his feet in the water. It was cool and pleasant.

Matt lowered his feet into the stream as well. "Aren't you going to go in?"

"Maybe some other time. For now this is enough."

"Suit yourself. Look at that sky."

Gobo glanced up. He had been so focused on the water that he hadn't given a thought to the sky. A big full moon shone down on them from almost directly above. The sky was full of stars. He looked for a while, then said, "I don't see any of the usual constellations."

"Different world, different sky," Matt answered.

"Yeah, I guess so. But... even though the pattern's not the same, it's not that different from the sky above the Gorgs' garden."

After a while they continued exploring. Matt followed his instinct, which led them uphill. Soon a faint light appeared in the distance. Matt hustled toward it. Gobo followed, trying to swallow his nervousness. When they got close Matt turned back to Gobo and whispered, "We must be quiet. These are the Cloth-Cave Creatures. They live in forests and stand perfectly still, looking at one thing only and never saying a word. I believe they are meditating. We must not disturb them."

"Where are they?" Gobo whispered back.

Matt scanned the area. "That's odd. I don't see any. They're usually a little taller than a Fraggle, and stand on three long, thin, straight legs. They have only one eye. When you get close to them they click at you, and sometimes they flash a light. That is how they warn you away from their sacred spots."

"Wow," Gobo breathed.

"They may be away. We can look at their cave without disturbing their meditation." He started forward again with what he liked to think of as stealth.

Gobo followed. Matt went right up to the cloth cave. The fabric was heavy, suitable for making backpacks from. It was held up by strange, curved sticks. He walked around one corner, and, not noticing the stake, tripped over one of the anchor ropes and fell against the side of the cave.

Horrible cries sounded from within. Gobo yelped and darted back into the forest, away from the commotion. Matt screamed, struggled to free himself from the rope that had tangled in his shoelace, and then fled after Gobo. A light shone on him, and he ran as hard as he could.

Matt ran until he was exhausted, then stopped and panted, heart hammering, whimpering under his breath. It was in this state that Gobo found him. Gobo had thought he was terrified, but his uncle looked even worse off. Gobo said, "Uncle Matt-"

Matt startled and squawked, then hissed in a whisper, "Don't do that!"

Gobo put a comforting arm around Matt's shoulders. "We're safe now, Uncle Matt. They didn't chase us. I don't think they were going to hurt us. They just wanted us to go away."

Matt looked back. He had run so far, he could see no sigh of the campfire in the distance. "Yes. I suppose so. They usually don't react so noisily."

"Let's go home now. I don't know about you, but that run gave me an appetite."

Matt seized on the opportunity to savage his dignity. "Yes. That's a capital idea, Nephew Gobo. Now that we've scouted this area we can go home, secure in the knowledge of a job well done."

"Yeah. Um... do you know where the hole was?"

"Oh, really, Gobo. Follow me."

Eventually they found the hole, and returned to Fraggle Rock.

All characters are copyright © The Jim Henson Company, LLC and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I like Uncle Matt's explanation of the Cloth-Cave Creatures. Poor Uncle Matt, he disturbed a sacred and strange ceremony.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------

hee, hee, hee...
Actual review later...but for now:

"Oh my god. It's full of stars..."

--------------

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Love these stories! You have such a natural way of writing. I admit jealousy.

Keep up the good work! ^^

Slackbot

Reaction score
I like Uncle Matt's explanation of the Cloth-Cave Creatures. Poor Uncle Matt, he disturbed a sacred and strange ceremony.
He's not used to such loud behavior from the Cloth-Cave Creatures. He probably still has the gift that one gave to him just outside the original Hole to Outer Space.
hee, hee, hee...
Actual review later...but for now:

"Oh my god. It's full of stars..."
Gobo has Sight Beyond Sight (by our very own Foodie!)
Love these stories! You have such a natural way of writing. I admit jealousy.

Keep up the good work! ^^
Thank you! I will write more. Right now I'm busy being on vacation and doing Whatever The Heck I want. (This is my birthday present to myself: a week's vacation!)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------
LOVE the reimagination of a motion-sensor camera on a tripod. The way Matt describes the things he encounters reminds me of the book "Motel of the Mysteries" by David Macaulay...always fun to shift one's perspective. Good job getting into Fragglebrain!

And finally -- not to gripe -- finally, we have what appears to be a major plot heading! Bearing: somewhere over thar by them trees...distance: pretty danged close. Too close for the Fraggles' comfort, at least! Are Matt and Gobo going to meet up with our tenting trio?

:shifty: Well it's gonna be a short danged story if they don't.

Quiet, you.

Looking forward to more!
---------------

Slackbot

Reaction score
Brothers and Sisters
Part 4: The Cave Between The Worlds
by Kim McFarland

It was morning. Birds were twittering in the trees, asserting the boundaries of their territories and informing other birds what they intended to do with or to those who encroached upon their space. The sound was pretty if you didn't know what they were saying.

Scooter, Skeeter, and Janken emerged from their tent. Skeeter, holding a sturdy pot, said, "One of you fill this with water and I'll make us breakfast."

Scooter took it. "I'll get it."

Janken said, "I'll come with."

They walked into the woods while Skeeter built a new fire atop the remains of the old. In a few minutes she had a new fire and was feeding it small dry sticks to build up its strength. Scooter came back, holding the pot. Skeeter said, "Where's—don't tell me, he fell in the river, right?"

"Yep. Are you surprised?"

"Nope. Is he gonna be like this the whole time?"

"I'm afraid so."

She added some sticks to the fire. "In that case, we'd better take along our bathing suits when we hike."

"I've already got mine on under my jeans."

"Smart." The fire was now big enough to heat water. She set a collapsible metal frame over the fire and stuck the pot on top. The flames licked the bottom of the pot.

He went around to the side of the tent. One of the stakes had been loosened, and the ground was scuffled. "Skeeter, come look at this."

She came around. "Yeah, I checked it out while you were getting the water."

"I'd think there'd be pawprints or hoofprints or something."

"You'd think so, wouldn't you." She shrugged.

Soon the water was beginning to steam. Skeeter sent Scooter out with their three canteens. Scooter came back with the canteens and a dripping wet Fraggle. Janken was munching on some berries and carrying a large, folded leaf in both hands. Skeeter remarked, "If we lost you here, you'd just eat and swim until we found you, wouldn't you?"

"Yep."

Well, here." She handed them both mugs. Scooter's first thought was that she had made coffee, but instead it was hot chocolate. Next she handed around granola bars. Janken set the folded leaf on the ground. It was full of berries he had picked on the way back. Skeeter glanced them over and saw that they were all safe to eat. "Cool," she said, taking some.

Scooter said, "He makes good breakfasts. Too bad we don't have eggs for an omelet."

"Oh? How good are you at climbing?" Skeeter replied.

Janken glanced up thoughtfully.

When they finished Skeeter said, "We're gonna be away from here a while. Let's douse the campfire."

"Yeah," Scooter agreed.

The twins poured their canteens on the small fire, which by now had burned low. Scooter stirred it around until it was a muddy mess. Janken asked, "How'll we make a fire in there later?"

"It's lined with rock. Just rake out the mess and it'll dry fast enough."

"Oh."

They filled their packs with enough supplies for a day-long hike, secured everything else inside their tent, which they zippered shut. Scooter asked his sister, "Where are we going now, Leatherstocking?"

"I was thinking we could try following the trail of that thing that bumped into us last night. I gotta admit, I'm curious about it." They walked around to that side of the tent. "I'm not an expert tracker, but I'd like to see how far we can get."

"Sure," Scooter replied. He doubted they'd find anything, but it'd be fun to give it a try. He pointed. "It took off that way." They set off.

Janken said skeptically, "After it got out of sight it might have turned or gone off in any other direction. How'd we be able to find it then?"

She answered, "You can see where things have run because the leaves get kicked around, undergrowth gets crushed or bent, or fur snagged on bushes or tree bark, or a lot of other little signs. Like here," she said, pointing at some moss growing on an exposed tree root. "See where it's scraped here? The moss was kicked in the direction of our tent by something moving away fast."

"Oh, yeah," Janken said, impressed.

Scooter, who had walked ahead, said "Here's some bent stems."

"Yeah. It was still going this way," Skeeter said approvingly.

They followed the trail slowly. Scooter and Skeeter were having fun; it was like being in the scouts again. Janken observed, but he was also alert for more practical things. "Hey, Skeeter. These are edible, right?" he asked, pointing at a smallish tree that had fruit hanging from the branches.

"Yeah, those are crab apples. They're not worth it unless you're really hungry."

"I wanna try one," Janken said. He set his backpack on the ground and skittered up the tree.

Surprised, Skeeter said, "I thought he was a cave critter, not a monkey."

"It's a Fraggle thing, I guess. He also climbs around in the fly space at the theater. It's great when something or someone gets caught in the ropes."

"Want some?" Janken called down.

"I'll pass," Skeeter answered.

"Me too," Scooter added.

Janken said, "Suit yourself. Hey!" He climbed higher.

They waited, wondering what the Fraggle was up to. After a few minutes Janken climbed back down, jumping the last few feet, a branch bearing a cluster of crabapples held between his teeth like a pirate's sword. Grinning widely, he said, "There was a bird's nest up there. It had eggs."

"Big enough for an omelet?" Scooter joked.

"Nah, not unless you're a Doozer. Besides, I couldn't take them. There's baby birds growing in them."

"So, have you tried the crabapples?"

"I forgot to when I saw the nest." He pulled one of the apples from the branch and bit in.

Skeeter began giggling at the expression on his face. "Sour, huh?"

"Yeah." Janken chewed and swallowed reluctantly. Then he said, "Wow." He did not take another bite.

"This is coming from someone who eats radishes by the handful," Scooter remarked.

"Maybe they'll be better roasted," Janken said, and put the rest of the fruit in his backpack. Then he looked around for something to get the flavor out of his mouth. He found another young fern and began eating it.

"The whole world's your salad bar, isn't it?" Scooter remarked.

"Yup."

They found more evidence of a trail. Skeeter saw some white fur snagged on a bush. It puzzled them all, as it was long and fluffy, like an animal's winter fur. Janken said, "Maybe someone's dog got loose?"

"Maybe," Skeeter said, but it didn't look like dog fur to her.

The trail disappeared on a hillside. After looking around a bit Skeeter said, "That's it. It stopped running around here, so we're not gonna be able to follow it any further. Still, we did pretty well, considering."

"It could've gone into this hole," Scooter said from downslope.

Skeeter and Janken both walked down to take a look. It was a small tunnel, about two feet around, leading straight back into the hill. "Yeah, probably. It looks like a big foxhole, but I didn't think there were any foxes around here."

Janken walked up to the hole and stuck his head in. Skeeter grabbed his tail and yanked. Janken squawked, then exclaimed indignantly, "Hey! What was that for?!"

"Because it's dumb to stick your head in an animal's lair, that's what!"

"There's nothing in there. I could smell it if there was," Janken told her. "And it goes way back. Hey, maybe there are caves down here."

"Not around here," Skeeter said.

"I wanna check it out," Janken said, and went in. Less than a minute later he poked his head out and said, "It is a cave!"

Skeeter folded her arms. "Yeah, right."

Scooter shrugged at his sister, then said, "Let's see."

Before long he looked back out and told her, "There's an actual cave down here."

"You're kidding. In these hills?"

"Come see for yourself."

"All right, all right." Skeeter walked in behind her brother.

The earthen tunnel led down in a gentle slope. Then Scooter stepped out of the way, and Skeeter saw that it opened into a larger cave. The walls were gray stone. There was even a trickle running down one wall among smooth flowstone formations like melted wax. Janken scooped up some water from the small pool on the floor and said happily, "This is a live cave."

Skeeter was looking around in all directions. "There aren't supposed to be caves in this area! And why isn't it dark?" She searched the ceiling for a hole.

Janken said, "This is a living cave. If it's here, it's supposed to be here. Maybe it's here for us."

"What are you talking about?" Scooter asked.

Janken chuckled. "Guys, I'm a Fraggle. I know caves! Trust me?"

"All right," Scooter said.

It was obvious to Janken that Scooter didn't really believe, and Skeeter really didn't believe. Well, that was all right. He said, "Come on," and entered the passage that led further in.

The air was cool and fresh, and just humid enough to be comfortable. It led them to a white cave that was less a room than the intersection of numerous tunnels and passages. Janken looked around, wide-eyed, then said in a hushed voice, "Don't touch anything. Not even the walls."

"Why?" Skeeter asked, looking at the white flowstone formation next to her.

"If we are where we think we are, then—well, touching the wrong thing could get you lost. Um! Do either of you have something I can make a mark with? I don't want to mislay our way out."

Skeeter shook her head. "I didn't pack a pencil."

Scooter took out his cell phone. "I could take a picture of it."

"Yeah!" Janken glanced around, then found a distinctive rock formation in the center of the room. He said, "Stand here to take it."

Scooter nodded and went over to the rock, then pointed at the camera at the tunnel. After fiddling a bit to widen its focus—the more of the surroundings he got in the picture, the easier it would be to find this tunnel again—he snapped a shot. Then he showed it to Janken. "How's that?"

"Yeah, that's great!"

Skeeter felt a gust of wind and heard something in another tunnel. Careful not to touch the cave wall, she looked around—and came face-to-face with a brown Fraggle. It startled and yelped, then fled down the cave.

Janken recognized that yelp, and ran after it. "Great-Uncle Matt!"

The brown Fraggle, who was wearing an off-white jacket and pants, stopped and looked back. He stared incredulously at Scooter and Skeeter for a moment, deciding whether to continue to be afraid, then made up his mind, sauntered over, and said, "Welcome home, Great-Nephew Janken. I hope you enjoyed my little joke."

"Sure I did," Janken replied, grinning.

Another Fraggle, one whose skin was nearly the same color as Scooter and Skeeter's, came running in. "Uncle Matt! I heard—huh?" He stopped when he saw the others.

Janken, savoring Gobo's startled expression, stepped past Matt and said, "Hi, Papa Gobo. These are my friends Scooter and Skeeter."

Gobo said, "Scooter? Oh, Janken's told me about you. Why didn't you tell us you were coming?"

"We didn't know either. We were camping in the woods, and found a tunnel, and here we are." Janken said cheerfully.

"Well, c'mon, let's surprise the others!" Gobo said.

Janken turned to Scooter and Skeeter. "What do you say?"

"Sure," Scooter said, and Skeeter nodded.

"Great! But, um, there's a few things," Janken said, suddenly serious.

"Like what?" Skeeter said.

"Well, we don't have any technology to speak of down here. I don't want to bring any in. It'd confuse people. So, would you keep your phones and flashlights and anything else in your backpacks?"

Scooter said, "Sure, if it's that important to you, but would a cell phone really be dangerous?"

Skeeter said to Scooter, "Ever hear of cargo cults?"

"What?"

"I'll tell you later. Bottom line, he's right. Anyway, when in Rome."

"Okay," Scooter said, and put his phone into his backpack. "My watch too?"

Janken thought for a moment, then said, "Nah, actually that ought to be all right. We know about clocks, we just don't pay attention to 'em."

"Still, when in Rome," Scooter said, and put his watch into his backpack.

"Thanks, guys," Janken said. He hadn't wanted to explain what had happened when Gobo had brought a radio into Fraggle Rock. It was embarrassing to admit that they had believed that commercials were the voices of magical Wish-Granting Creatures who wanted them to abandon Fraggle Rock. But maybe something similar had happened among Silly Creatures too. "Tell me about the cargo cults too."

"Sure thing."

Janken started to turn toward Gobo, then added, "Oh! One more thing. And this is even more important."

"Yeah?"

Very seriously Janken said, "Do you have your bathing suits? Because in Fraggle Rock you will get wet."

Scooter and Skeeter glanced at each other, then grinned identical grins. "We're way ahead of you," Scooter said.

Janken laughed. "Great! Then c'mon!"

Scooter and Skeeter are copyright © The Muppets Studio, LLC. Traveling Matt and Gobo Fraggle are © The Jim Henson Company, LLC. All copyrighted characters are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Janken Fraggle and the overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.