Oscar's heart of gold

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the early years Oscar had a well-deserved reputation for being mean and nasty. But once in the mid-70's he showed a sign of kindness under his mangy green fur. Maria and a Muppet lady had to go somewhere, and the lady had a little daughter, and Maria decided in her infinite wisdom it would be a great idea for Oscar to baby sit!
The girl turned out to be painfully shy, and started crying hysterically when her mother was leaving.
Yet Oscar invited her to play, and before long, they became fast friends. The girl was having the time of her life playing with trash, making mudpies, and doing all sorts of grouchy things. Oscar was enjoying himself too.
Then Maria and the mother come back, and it's time for the little girl to say goodbye. She starts bawling her eyes out again, until Oscar says she can come back and visit any time. She even kisses Oscar goodbye, and instead of being mad at all the mushiness, Oscar actually likes it! He's obviously touched. And like the Grinch, Oscar's heart grew three times that day.
This was my first experience of seeing the nice side of Oscar. How 'bout you?

Hayley B

Reaction score
Wow, what a great story. I grew up in the early 80's (yet I don't remember Mr.Hooper). But sounds like such a sweet story and would love to had watched it.

Thanks for sharing that memory. The only thing that I ever remembered Oscar be nice to was Slimey. And I'm sure, still is.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The 1st time for me was probably either one of two things. The first was in Christmas EVE and Sesame Street when he went out looking for Big Bird. The other was when he admitted Elmo was his friend in Elmo in Grouchland. They were both sweet moements in my opinion.

Hayley B

Reaction score
The 1st time for me was probably either one of two things. The first was in Christmas EVE and Sesame Street when he went out looking for Big Bird. The other was when he admitted Elmo was his friend in Elmo in Grouchland. They were both sweet moements in my opinion.
Are you referring to "Follow That Bird", when they went looking for Big Bird?

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Are you referring to "Follow The Bird", when they went looking for Big Bird?
Yes he looks for him then, but also on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street after he makes Big Bird wonder how Santa gets down the chimney, he feels guilty (with some help from Maria) and goes looking for him to bring him home.