Should Disney buy Felix the Cat?

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
HUH, This IS OFF TOPIC But, Someday When I (Hopefully) Become An Animator My One Disare Would Be To Buy Felix The Cat From Classic Media, That Stupid No Good Company Ruins The Crap Out Of Cartoons, And IF They Still Own Him, My Desire Would Be To Buy Him Out Of That Company, And I Faked My Age Also, I'm Acatully 15, Sometimes I Wish I Was 25.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I love Disney stuff too, but the question one should really ask is - why should they or some large corporation own everything? My only concerns are content and quality. Ownership has no bearing on how something will turn out. :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love Disney stuff too, but the question one should really ask is - why should they or some large corporation own everything? My only concerns are content and quality. Ownership has no bearing on how something will turn out. :coy:
Depending.

I think Disney has shown they know that the best way to treat their properties is to leave them alone and let someone else take care of them. I almost keep forgetting that Disney owns Marvel, because their meddling is very very low. There's Marvel stuff at the Disney Store... that's the only thing I can see. That and their idiotic aversion to having things as Happy Meal prizes, yet putting them on candy wrappers (No Avenger's Kid's Meal anywhere!?! Really?!). Other than that, I don't notice any distinct problems, other than small rights issues regarding cartoon ownership (i.e. Sony's Spectacular Spider-Man, Film Roman's X-Men Evolution, and hardest of all, Warner Brothers' old 1960's Hanna Barbera Fantastic Four cartoons). DC, being under Warner's control is lucky to have 90% of DC comics media owned by Warners anyway (Super Friends and various Ruby-Spears productions were due to the Turner merger).

Still, there's no call or need on either part of Disney or whoever owns Felix for this to happen.

Hubert

Reaction score
HUH, This IS OFF TOPIC But, Someday When I (Hopefully) Become An Animator My One Disare Would Be To Buy Felix The Cat From Classic Media, That Stupid No Good Company Ruins The Crap Out Of Cartoons, And IF They Still Own Him, My Desire Would Be To Buy Him Out Of That Company, And I Faked My Age Also, I'm Acatully 15, Sometimes I Wish I Was 25.
Hopefully? Why are you saying hopefully? Of course you'll become an animator if you want to!

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I for one am a huge Disney fan, but there is no need for every cartoon character to be owned by Disney. Plus as mentioned there's probably no interested on Disney's part, cause let's be honest, if there was, Felix probably would be under the ownership of Disney by now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They bought the Muppets because Eisner always wanted to own them.
Thinking back on it, it's a bit ironic that he didn't try to buy out Sid & Marty Krofft as well, since he ended up becoming like a vehicle for them in some cases, because he green-lit a number of their shows for ABC, and kept wanting them to do more and more shows... but then again, the Kroffts knew better, because it was Walt Disney himself who told the two of them NEVER SELL ANYTHING YOU CREATE BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO ARE TRY AND TAKE EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER WORKED FOR RIGHT OUT FROM UNDER YOUR NOSE.

Drtooth

Reaction score
but then again, the Kroffts knew better, because it was Walt Disney himself who told the two of them NEVER SELL ANYTHING YOU CREATE BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO ARE TRY AND TAKE EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER WORKED FOR RIGHT OUT FROM UNDER YOUR NOSE.
Because he was an expert on doing that and taking credit for everyone else's work. At least, hypocritically after he lost Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Oswald actually bugs me for one reason.

As someone who loves studying animation and all the weird old tales of how things came about, I HATE that everyone thinks Oswald just came out of the Epic Mickey game. Him and Phantom Blot. I mean, Phantom Blot was on Ducktales, and I'm sure everyone in the US has seen every episode of Ducktales at this point.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Because he was an expert on doing that and taking credit for everyone else's work. At least, hypocritically after he lost Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Oswald actually bugs me for one reason.

As someone who loves studying animation and all the weird old tales of how things came about, I HATE that everyone thinks Oswald just came out of the Epic Mickey game. Him and Phantom Blot. I mean, Phantom Blot was on Ducktales, and I'm sure everyone in the US has seen every episode of Ducktales at this point.
With all the reboots and reissues, how come Ducktales hasn't been relaunched? I loved that show!

Drtooth

Reaction score
With all the reboots and reissues, how come Ducktales hasn't been relaunched? I loved that show!
Ducktales? I'll do you one better...

Why are there no American projects for the Duck family? There's ample opportunity for them to do an animated version of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. If they can shove it into a single episode of Ducktales, they can surely make a 90 minute animated movie. I want to see more DTV Mickey and co productions. If they have those Italian Tinkerbell comics the basis of those DTV CGI movies, why not Duck Avenger, Double Duck, or Wizards of Mickey films too? At least something that isn't a kiddy Dora-esque preschool show. Would you know Super Goof only was animated for a House of Mouse episode?

Even if Marvel just reprints some old Scrooge McDuck/Donald Duck comics somehow. Even something Magazine format, altered to be more like Italian Disney magazine Topolino.

It's high time for the Duck Family to get its due in the US.