1980s SS alternate opening song? - not "Sunny Days"!

Lezard

Reaction score
I was born in 1977 and grew up watching Sesame Street longer than most because I had younger siblings. So I probably watched it through the mid-1980s, and possibly even later over summer vacation.

I remember an alternate opening to the show -- not "Sunny Days" -- a different song that was used occasionally, though not very often. It's possible it was just an instrumental, but I really think it had words because I remember still being able to sing it when I was 12 or 13, though it was harder and harder to call to mind. Now I can't call it to mind at all, and it really bothers me. Does anyone else remember this?

I had at least one Sesame Street LP growing up, so when I sang "Sunny Days", I always knew the "magic carpet ride" verse that was often left out of the opening of the TV show, though I don't think that's where the confusion lies either. For a while I thought it might have been "Somebody Come and Play", but I don't think that song was ever used at the opening, was it? I really remember this song as being an opening song.

The video I associate with it (though I could easily be confusing it with the "Sunny Days" video) is a small merry-go-round (the kind you power yourself) and kids climbing on a jungle gym. The general ending I remember is Barkley playing with kids on a hill.

Did it ever rain on the opening of Sesame Street? Could it have been a different opening because it was raining? Am I grasping at straws?

IN SHORT: Was there an alternate opening song during this period? This has been bugging me for ten years at least -- especially since I still knew it well after my Sesame Street watching days were over. Someone please put me out of my misery.

Thanks.