Is Gonzo Being phased out?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
After watching the newest Muppet movie and reading about one of the latest Muppet tv appearances I'm starting to wonder are the slowly phasing Gonzo out? I would really hate this because he brings so much to the Muppets and I love Gonzo! Kermit Fozzie and Gonzo were great in GMC as a team, and Gonzo was wonderful in the Muppet show, sure I will say that he should have never had a leading role in MFS, but he really is one of my favorite Muppets, and I would hate for whatever reason for Gonzo to be absent.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
He's not being phased out at all. He's been in the spot light since Jim's passing, and even before that, replacing Fozzie for Jim Henson Hour.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
After watching the newest Muppet movie and reading about one of the latest Muppet tv appearances I'm starting to wonder are the slowly phasing Gonzo out? I would really hate this because he brings so much to the Muppets and I love Gonzo! Kermit Fozzie and Gonzo were great in GMC as a team, and Gonzo was wonderful in the Muppet show, sure I will say that he should have never had a leading role in MFS, but he really is one of my favorite Muppets, and I would hate for whatever reason for Gonzo to be absent.
I've noticed this too and I think it's a case of Dave Goelz getting older. He has reportedly had a few shoulder surgeries so long days on set can't be easy. Anyone who has had the privilege to see Mr. Goelz perform can attest to his passion for his craft. I doubt he's retiring any time soon. However, he's probably letting some of the other performers fill up more time. That's why we're getting more Scooter and Fozzie appearances and I couldn't be more pleased! The down side is that it means less Gonzo and Bunsen. Both are very popular characters who remain heavily featured in the merchandising.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I've noticed this too and I think it's a case of Dave Goelz getting older. He has reportedly had a few shoulder surgeries so long days on set can't be easy. Anyone who has had the privilege to see Mr. Goelz perform can attest to his passion for his craft. I doubt he's retiring any time soon. However, he's probably letting some of the other performers fill up more time. That's why we're getting more Scooter and Fozzie appearances and I couldn't be more pleased! The down side is that it means less Gonzo and Bunsen. Both are very popular characters who remain heavily featured in the merchandising.
Dave is still as involved as ever, it just seems that the scripts don't call for him as much as they used to. Letters to Santa is still relatively recent and he was very prominent in that but the script for The Muppets didn't really call for too much Gonzo. While it would have been great for him to actually do something besides head bowling, the movie successfully was able to push him to the background without tampering with the quality of the film. Again, I think less appearances has to do more with Dave's availability. With special exceptions, he seems a bit less willing to come to the East Coast these days and I don't blame him. He's getting older, his personal life probably takes up a reasonable amount of time, he's got two teenaged kids, he needs to have balance and if that means neglecting Gonzo a little bit, I say give the guy some peace. I'm sure we'll see a bit more Gonzo in the next Muppet productions.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Dave is still as involved as ever, it just seems that the scripts don't call for him as much as they used to. Letters to Santa is still relatively recent and he was very prominent in that but the script for The Muppets didn't really call for too much Gonzo. While it would have been great for him to actually do something besides head bowling, the movie successfully was able to push him to the background without tampering with the quality of the film. Again, I think less appearances has to do more with Dave's availability. With special exceptions, he seems a bit less willing to come to the East Coast these days and I don't blame him. He's getting older, his personal life probably takes up a reasonable amount of time, he's got two teenaged kids, he needs to have balance and if that means neglecting Gonzo a little bit, I say give the guy some peace. I'm sure we'll see a bit more Gonzo in the next Muppet productions.
I'm not sure why this is a reply to my post rather than the thread in general or why Dave Goelz' presumed reluctance to travel to the East Coast has much to do with Gonzo's reduced role in last year's film. :confused:

As I mentioned before, I don't believe he has any intention of retiring anytime soon. He did say something a while back about hoping newer characters and newer performers would get more screen time. I think it was in the interview about Letters to Santa. :concern:

muppetlover123

Reaction score
well i really hope he dosnt retire him and steve are the only original muppeteers to exsist other then clash and carrol on SS and frank oz in directing

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only reason Gonzo had a smaller role in this movie was all about movie run time. Gonzo was prominent in the deleted scenes (so I've heard). But the merchandise is still as Gonzo centric as ever. I'm sure next film he'll have a much larger role... but it really feels the last one focused more on Fozzie and Kermit's friendship and Kermit and Piggy's relationship.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I hate to say this, but lately Gonzo has seemed a bit stiff to me. When I watched The Muppets I wondered if Goelz was having arm but that wouldn't have explained how flat his reaction to seeing Kermit and Fozzie for the first time in years was, in light of the fact that he's been wearing spandex under his suit all this time. Not even an initial eye-widening before he went all businesslike. (Can the puppet still do this in both eyes or has it been limited to one only?)

I love Gonzo, but lately he's seemed a lot less vivid in terms of performance, which would be perfectly understandable if a) Goelz was dealing with physical difficulties, or b) Goelz had been instructed to throttle back on Gonzo so people wouldn't focus too much on The Blue Weirdo in favor of the more-marketable Kermit and Piggy.

Borples

Reaction score
Yeah, I think "phased out" is too strong a term. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being given a little less time than previously, because Goelz is no spring chicken any more. (get it? Chicken? Wocka wocka!) But it's not like he's leaving the troupe or anything.

I hate to say this, but lately Gonzo has seemed a bit stiff to me. When I watched The Muppets I wondered if Goelz was having arm but that wouldn't have explained how flat his reaction to seeing Kermit and Fozzie for the first time in years was, in light of the fact that he's been wearing spandex under his suit all this time. Not even an initial eye-widening before he went all businesslike. (Can the puppet still do this in both eyes or has it been limited to one only?)
I think that's more the current puppet than Dave's ability. I really don't like this incarnation of Gonzo's face. The eyes are all wrong. I suppose they're going for more of a classic, early-TMS Gonzo look, but I much prefer the MCC/MTI-era look. His face was so expressive back then.

As for his (lack of) reaction to seeing his friends in The Muppets, I wonder if that wasn't more in the directing. I don't know, that was one part of the movie that I really didn't care for. I hope, however much Gonzo's in the next movie, that he acts like himself the whole time. And I hope, hope, HOPE that Gonzo and Rizzo get to have at least one more adventure together before Dave retires.

MWoO

Reaction score
Since we don't know a lot about how or why the muppets broke up its hard to say how gonzo should react. Plus Fozzie and Piggy already did the whole wide eyed then distant reaction to Kermit. I liked gonzo being totally indifferent, keeping everything inside instead of showing all his emotion like he did in the past.

As for his lack of participation in the movie, it's all in the deleted scenes. There were two major deleted scenes. One had gonzo and Bunsen. The other was a major Bunsen and beaker scene.